Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Fuel and brake line mounting bracket

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Choppedcoupe, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

Please post up your favorite methods (brackets) for mounting brake lines and fuel lines to the inside of a 32 Ford frame (or similar)?

This is my first hot rod build, and I’m trying to learn what products are out there to help with this phase. I’ve seen some really cobbled up garbage at my local shows, and can’t tell what’s good or bad by just a google search.

Thank you!

2. squirrel

squirrel

It might depend on the look you're going for...but Adel type aircraft clamps, a metal band with a rubber cushion, are quite traditional.

3. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

Long term, i.e. 10+ years, I found that the rubber dries, gets brittle and cracks in our Arizona environment.

I have used similar clamps from Ace Hardware, that are dipped in a flexible black plastic. Long term, again 10+ years, I have seen the plastic separate from the metal part of the clamp. The difference being that the plastic still is securely in place, with a small gap at the end of the coatings.

My OT Cummins diesel swap is getting a fuel system upgrade. I went into Ace Hardware yesterday for the plastic coated clamps. They are "Green tagged", meaning that my local store is clearing them out and will not restock them. I stocked up an assortment of clamps, cost me about $30.

4. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Doesn't really look street roddy when it's done. SS clamps for brake/fuel line runs. sort 364.JPG

1oldtimer, mgtstumpy and catdad49 like this.

5. I did quite a bit of digging for tasteful clamps. I have quite a collection from various sources but Ebay has lots, motorcitymusclecar inlinetube and thestopshop are where I purchased mine. Macs also has a nice little pack of clamps avail. Personally speaking the rubber lined clamps are not very appealing.

Attached Files:

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Look up made for you T clamps.
    I used them all over my chassis for brake lines and fuel lines.
    They mount into 10-32 rivnuts with the stainless 10-32 machine screws they come with.

Lots of different configurations including these in 3/8” on one side and 3/16” on the other side.
    I used them for my fuel line and brake lines along side.
    0FE298B4-5594-4076-A12F-FE2E763B91A8.jpeg BC9720D7-42FD-42E7-ADA2-AEF5A2CE79E6.jpeg 86D39D3B-CCC5-4CC7-8D97-F03D5EA8C829.jpeg

wackdaddy, vtx1800, alanp561 and 4 others like this.
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

That looks clean and tidy.:cool:

Dino 64 likes this.
  8. I use black nylon p clips. Satin finish, No shiny bits, no sharp edges, good quality ones are cheap. They look like painted steel but don’t rust. They come in any size you need. I use a stainless machine screw tapped into the chassis for large ones and stainless self drilling/self tapping screws for the small ones.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Me being me and setting up a car then forgetting it. I've seen plastic clamps break, coated (zinc) break or rust, and rubber disappear. I use the stainless ones from Kugel (buy in bulk it's cheaper) and I use a tapping drill bit to attach them to the frame.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    mgtstumpy, Bandit Billy and alanp561 like this.
  10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The made for you T clamps are made from Zytel nylon and they won’t break or anything else.
    I have a buddy who has them all over his cars and they have been on his chassis for over 20 years now with no issues whatsoever.

They’re top notch as far as I’m concerned.

11. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I'm using the European style plastic clips. I like how small and unobtrusive they are.

Would be nice to see some one design a better mousetrap for holding lines.

12. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

I use the stainless ones. IMG_0667.JPG IMG_0671.JPG

13. squirrel

squirrel

I didn't realize we were building street rods here.

Sent from my Trimline

14. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

:eek: Metric?

15. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Next time you're in the junkyard check late 90's early 2000 dodge trucks , very nice plastic line clamps

16. Choppedcoupe

Choppedcoupe

Thanks guys, Im gonna look thru all this really heavily tomorrow night. As for traditional: on my hydraulics system, I just want “good.” I guess if I really wanted to be 100% tradish, I would have mechanical brakes and the stock model A tank. So I’m compromising here. Please forgive me, and thanks for all the replies!!!

17. squirrel

squirrel

Juice brakes were commonly used 50-60 years ago, as were Adel clamps. The newer clamps might work better, and no one will see them, so it's a reasonable place to compromise. But it's still a compromise.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Street rods :confused: :rolleyes:
    I see nothing wrong with neat and quality work.
    After all we aren’t building rat rods either :p

Bandit Billy and seb fontana like this.
  19. If you are using 1/4 inch lines I would just contact the stores that specialize in the early Fords and buy the original type clamps used on the 1939-48 Fords.

Charlie Stephens

squirrel likes this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

50 years ago, some guys built cars with neat and quality work, with what was available. Some of that stuff is still available, and it still works, and we can still build cars well with it. I use that stuff whenever I can...but I guess I'm in a small minority of folks here? kind of sad.

21. choptop40

choptop40

I like the nylon ones...I used to buy the stainless rubber ones in bulk at car shows...the factory 70s gm were cool, had a tab on em..we're zinc coated I think..the new brake lines I hear are easy to bend by hand...

22. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I used all ni-cop lines from 3/16” for brake lines and 5/16” and 3/8” for fuel and other stuff like transmission cooler lines.

It’s supposed to be easy to bend by hand but trust me if you want tight radius nice and neat bends you really need the appropriate tubing benders.
    I found Imperial lever type benders were great.

23. choptop40

choptop40

Thanks for the tip..got a pic of the bender...

24. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

25. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

26. Looks like you can get a tighter bend with the Imperial one.......I'm going to check it out.

27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, you can get a tighter radius bend with the Imperial benders.
    They’re a professional quality tool and much better than the typical hardware store benders like that blue colored one.
    And, they’re dedicated to one size of tubing for each bender so they are easier to use.

28. I use the plastic dipped clamps where I know there won't be a lot of vibration and the rubber lined jobs when there's a long run between clamps. Hell, I even used the whippy stainless clamps holding the brake line on the rear crossmember. I figure when the plastic dipped and the rubber lines ones go bad I can replace them. That's what a winter maintenance program is for...
    34mufflerhangerpainted1.JPG

29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used SS clamps and polished every last one of them. Both brake and fuel.
    upload_2018-12-3_20-28-23.png
    frame drilled and tapped
    upload_2018-12-3_20-29-9.png
    and all SS lines
    upload_2018-12-3_20-30-59.png
    Attention to detail and pride in one's craft isn't synonymous with "street rodding".