Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What Ever Happened to..........?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by OG lil E, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Nice run down of the build @cowboy0507! Stick around a while. If the International pops up for sale somewhere, I'm sure the crew around here will post it. They are on the ball! E

I think Bill is right @brokedownbiker. The car has many similarities, but it's an Olds not a Chevy. Plus, it looks like the car is being built from an original car, not an old custom being re-done from a few decades ago. Thanks for sharing the link and the picture of the car--Olds coupes are sweet! You don't see many these days, and this one looks to be headed down the right path! E

2. lucky ink

lucky ink

Here's El camino back in 80's next to my coupe i found looking through old pic's ResizedImage_1514725799734 (1).jpg It.always got alot of attention back in the day.

BigO, drdave, bathcollector and 11 others like this.
  3. sideswipe

sideswipe

Was that taken at the Polish Club? I think the Dayton Street Customs always did their show there. I remember that coupe. I always had a soft spot for a 32 coupe. Must be the John Milner in me. haha

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    lucky ink, Sancho, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  4. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

What`s the story on the boat. When our family went to the 83 Leadsleds in Springfield Ohio, my mom made me play a couple of the kids games. I got a frisbee for participating, wrote on the back was Dayton Street Customs. Had it for years. Still might have it. chopped el camino speedboat.jpg

BigO, drdave, Ron Funkhouser and 11 others like this.
  5. FASI

FASI

I am looking to learn where my Larry Ernst 1951 Chevy clone ended up after selling it at the RM Sothebys auction this past Labor Day in Auburn, Ind. Rumor has it that it went to Oregon. So far no success in tracking it. I have info valuable to the owner and the auction company, due to confidentiality ??? won't give out contact info. Any tips appreciated.

6. lucky ink

lucky ink

No that was taken over at the Street Rod Associates show. My father was long time member of Dayton street customs we built coupe father son project when I was in high school.

Sancho, loudbang, OG lil E and 5 others like this.
  7. sideswipe

sideswipe

My Dad and Bob Jewitt were friends. My Dad did all the trophies and other stuff for that club. Jewitt was the KING of Bondo. I seen him glue a radiator in his sons car with it. Not a damn bolt anywhere. As far as the boat goes, Howard bought that boat painted as is. A wild paint job for anything, but that is how the El Camino (aka Flash Gordon's Sunday Cruiser) got the paint scheme. That is why the next El Camino received the same treatment as well.

drdave, lucky ink, Sancho and 6 others like this.
  8. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

I don`t think I scanned the first part of the article from Truck`in Magazine from 82. It shows another pic of the boat. Scan0788.jpg

9. Gonna' put this here .... before Sancho calls in the Coast Guard, Games and Parks .... and Port Authorities .... to tell us where the boat is today.

:)

drdave, 54delray, Sancho and 5 others like this.
  10. Double cardan

Double cardan

L

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

This was at Americana Amusement Park in Ohio. They use to have a show there once a year.

12. John B

John B

Americana which was at one time LeSourdsville Lake hosted quite a few car shows over the years. If you ever get a chance to read the book about the Middletown Pacemakers Car Club there are some cool pictures from back when they did shows there.

Odd note, in 1999 we were discussing moving the KOA Double Date from the Butler County Fairgrounds in Hamilton, OH to the Americana Amusement Park but then they closed the gates.

13. What Ever Happened To..........? number 145.

1956 Ford "Queen of the Fifties"
    Owner: Doug Reid
    West Harrison, Indiana

Ever since this thread started, those of you that follow along regularly can remember some great conversations that have gone on throughout this thread. One such conversation was how certain colors on cars have become less popular than they were years ago. Yellow was the main color of conversation, but red was also talked about. There were so many red '49-'51 Mercurys in the 70s and 80s it could blow a brain fuse real easy!
    In researching this week's car it became very clear that there were nearly as many red '55 and '56 Fords as the Mercurys mentioned above. It seemed like I would find a red '56 Ford that I thought was this week's car and it turned out to be another one. Thankfully this week's red Ford had many distinctive modifications that made it much easier to identify than most. Another sure fire thing to help with its identity are the personalized Indiana license plates, "KOOL 56". So, we know Mr. Reid was (is) from Indiana, but unfortunately I couldn't find what city he's from.
    I can't say for sure exactly when Doug Reid started building this car, but I'd guess it was in the late 80s. I had no luck finding the car on any of my videos from the 80s. I did however find a couple of cool shots of it in ruddy brown primer. I'm not sure if these were taken at a KKOA show or at one of the Indiana James Dean shows. I found these pictures checking out Rikster's site, and they were taken by our own @KustomLincolnLady.
    You can see that most of the hard work was done and the car looked to be close to ready for paint. It was shaved, headlights frenched, custom front and rear roll pans and of course the super looking Chrysler taillights!

Doug Reid 56 Ford a KLL.jpg

Doug Reid 56 Ford b KLL.jpg

I did finally see Doug's Ford in color on the 1991 Leadsled Spectacular video from Hamilton, Ohio. The car was painted a magnificent kandy red that shined like a brand new penny! To me, it looks like the only additional body modifications were molded lake pipes. The car also had "Queen of the Fifties" lettered on the lower part of the front fenders. I watched my videos from the '92 and '93 Spectaculars and I didn't see the car there, and the few videos I have of later shows had no signs of the "Queen".
    Printed material wasn't real helpful either, but I did find pictures of it in a few places. There was a great shot of it in the December 1991 Rod & Custom in their coverage of the '91 Leadsled on page 73. You can see the car was a real head turner! This picture makes the car look kandy orange, but every other color picture or video I've seen of it shows it is kandy red.

Doug Reid 56 Ford c RnC Dec. 91 p73.jpg

The last picture I found was from the Mike Key book "Wild Leadsleds" printed in 1992. It mentioned in the front of the book that most of the pictures were taken at the 1990 Leadsled Spectacular in Holland, Michigan. Since this picture was actually taken before the above color shot, you can see that the car didn't have "Queen of the Fifties" lettered on it yet or the molded lakes.

Doug Reid 56 Ford c Wild Leadsleds p121.jpg

I can't say for sure what happened after the 1992 Leadsled, but I looked in all my magazines that had custom show coverage and I found no more on this awesome sled. Where is it? Hard to believe that this car could just vanish--especially in Indiana where it seems there are more customs than most other places. Let's hope it's in good hands somewhere and not rusting away in a junk yard!
    With all of the severe weather we've had lately and those terrible fires in California, I hope all of our kustom faithful and friends are safe and enjoying this great holiday time of year. Until next Tuesday, you be safe out there! E

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Ron, drdave, richards69impala and 9 others like this.
  14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

that car is one of the "regulars " that shows up at the custom car revival every year

15. Didn't realize that. Well, at least it's accounted for. E

16. John B

John B

Doug is a good guy. I'll steer him this way.

Edited to add - West Harrison, Indiana is where he's from.

17. John B

John B

Took this August 18th at the Freaki Tiki show in Fairfield, OH Qeenofthe50s.jpg

Ron, drdave, Surfcityrocker and 10 others like this.
  18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

here's one from ccr queen.jpg

Ron, drdave, straykatkustoms and 10 others like this.
  19. Thanks for the information John! I'll update the post. E

20. Well, since we found out where this week's Ford is so fast, I thought I'd post a few additions of information I found for recent posts.
    A few weeks back Jim (@stanlow69) scanned and posted a few pages from a magazine article about a Merc called "Baby Cakes" owned by Clayton and Dorthy Stevens.

Searching around I found a few pictures of it with flames on it. Hadn't seen this version before. I think one of the first two pictures was from the '99 Merc/Deuce Reunion, and the last I believe was taken by @KustomLincolnLady. E

Clayton n Dorthy Stevens 49 Merc a carnut MDR 99.jpg

Clayton n Dorthy Stevens 49 Merc b carnut MDR 99.jpg

Clayton n Dorthy Stevens c KLL.jpg

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Ron, drdave, straykatkustoms and 11 others like this.
  21. John B

John B

A couple more

Attached Files:

Ron, drdave, straykatkustoms and 9 others like this.
  22. One other tidbit:

There has been a lot of discussion about the Sides/Henry El Camino lately. Searching around I found pictures of another El Camino that is VERY similar so I thought I'd throw it out here.
    Paint is a very similar style, but the side pipes that exit from the fenders are quite different and they are frenched into the body. Also, it doesn't look to have '59 Caddy tail lights and it has a hood scoop. This was printed in the Winter '92 issue of Custom Rodder. It states that the owner was Harry Sharp from Sidney, Ohio. I guess back in those days the Ohio boys loved chopped El Caminos, huh? E

Harry Sharp El Camino CR Win 92 p44.jpg

Ron, drdave, richards69impala and 6 others like this.
  23. John B

John B

So what is @Moriarity take on Baby Cakes' mirrors? I notice that in one picture it had dummy spots but in another it doesn't.

24. John B

John B

Then to muddy the water further, let's throw in this picture of a chopped 60s El Camino I took at the 16th Annual Leadsled Street Custom Spectacular when it was in Hamilton, OH in 1996.

From the research so far it seems it was from the Dayton area as well.

choppedCamino.jpg

25. PasoJohn

PasoJohn
    from Edina,Mn.

I remember Baby Cakes being a 2 tone back in the Holland Mi KKOA days,always remember the rear radius wheel wells

26. 'Mo

'Mo

The molded side pipes on this car are better than most. (Remind me of the A Bros., for some reason.)

[​IMG]

27. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here is another scan of the same(that Ed posted) El Camino I posted earlier on in this thread. Didn`t Sideswipe say Howard built 3 different El Camino`s. Scan0054.jpg

28. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Here is another pic of it at Indy`s CCR. You can see the molded in Lake pipes more clearly. I have more from other years from the CCR but haven`t printed off the pic`s yet. I`ll post another pic Wednesday from the Holland show. Your gonna like it. Scan0789.jpg

Ron, richards69impala, John B and 7 others like this.
  29. John B

John B

I dated a girl like that in High School. Tease Tease Tease. By the way, it's Wednesday.

30. hdman6465

hdman6465
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I cant believe that no one has asked to see pics of Howard Henrys 36 roadster?

Sent from my SM-G900P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.