Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Concentrated Chelating Rust Remover on Jay Leno's Garage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrCreosote, Nov 29, 2018.

1. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

There was a guy had a line of products he was promoting on Jay's program. Might even have been nano tech chemicals. When he was through with his flagship products, he moved on to this rust remover product. I think the guy was wearing a black polo shirt - easy to spot in youtube videos maybe.

I can't remember the name of the product.

This product, unlike Evap-O-Rust actually does not work until it is diluted. I think a gallon made 15 gallons of solution - something crazy like that.

And the price was something like $20-25 a gallon.

Does anyone see that show and remember what the product was?

Thanks
    Tom

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Black bottle?

https://www.archoil.com/products/ar5100-rust-remover

loudbang likes this.
  3. Fordors

Fordors

Don’t watch the show but I will say this, Leno would endorse selling snow balls to Eskimos is there was a buck in it. He is a cheap shill that has no practical knowledge of the hobby, only the $$$$$ to indulge in it. JMO, naturally your mileage may vary.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Heck of a time to be out of pop corn.

Bob

5. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

HaHa, sometimes writing everything down jogs the memory.

I then recalled the guy was promoting nano-something. And that let me find it right away on youtube. BTW guy was wearing a WHITE polo (HAHA - brain stored negative image), BUT all their products come in black jugs.

It is ArchOil's AR5100 Rust Remover.

It is $30 for a 16oz (a measly pint) but it must be diluted 16:1. Guy said if the dilution is not at least 12:1 it won't even work!!! Sooooo.... 16 pints = 8 quarts = 2 gallons or $15 a gallon of solution. $155 for 1 gal of AR5100 shipped. (ouch) Evap-O-Rust is $20 a gallon through WalMart.

Guy said can use it for 1 year. That doesn't make any sense. You're running a chemical reaction and can only chelate so much rust with what's in that jug. A catalyst is another matter - it isn't consumed by the reaction. But it can't be a jug of catalyst.

Evap-O-Rust is cool enough to tell you when it's spent by measuring pH. I don't know if these two are the same chemical.

NOTE: I use EoR a lot and am always looking for cheaper

6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Jealousy is an awful thing. Must be hard living life with such a big chip on your shoulder.

Leno is a car guy like any other who happens to be fortunate enough to have big $ to be active in the hobby.

7. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Your opinion, your choice. I'd venture to say Leno's more of a car guy than most of those beer-belching gutter sluts that clutter up television with their version of "Hot rod reality" shows.

Hnstray, 73RR, 28 Ford PU and 26 others like this.
  8. So would I .... Beats working and would fund getting the parts blasted to remove the rust properly

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

BigChief likes this.
  9. Fordors

Fordors

Mr. Leno also raved about the hugely popular spray chrome some years back as I recall.
    Jealousy? No, actually I personally never found him funny and maybe that slants my perception of him but it has nothing to do with his vehicles and garage. If a product is used at the garage by his staff then I guess it is a valid endorsement but you have to wonder.

10. Standard disclaimer; "Your results may very" . No kidding.
    The Wizzard

Texas Webb likes this.
  11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I met Jay through my club years ago, got a tour of his garage and followed him to NBC for the Tonight Show. Sharon Stone was his guest, and she uncrossed her legs. I was in the front row. No rust there.

12. Ok, you can say Leno isn't a car guy, that I will let slide, but to say he isn't funny? Only a dullard with no sense of humor would think that. Guess how he got rich.........

28 Ford PU, alanp561, nochop and 4 others like this.
  13. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

14. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

Len's car thing is what makes me respect him. A celebrity that is actually doing something meaningful with their money - and you have to love his street clothes - as basic as a Chinese Communist Party member back when Mao rolled. :)

Yeah, been a while since I've been on a thread that blew up. Everyone must be really bored. Go Steelerz.

Oh, DO NOT go see the 2nd Fantastic Beasts movie. Over 2 hours of pure, concentrated tedium. Total loser, fail, I'm never going to see any Rowling stuff again. Horrible. Awful. Even worse than Star Wars #7 (way worse in fact.) I would have walked out but was too sleepy...

Flogknaw likes this.
  15. Being in the UK, I only know him in the context of his enthusiasm for cars. I've seen a lot of his YouTube stuff. The interview he did with our own Mr Model T confirmed, for me, his genuine love of cars. Would like to have a discussion with him on the topic because, from where I sit, he's a car guy and not a celebrity.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray, 28 Ford PU, fauj and 5 others like this.
  16. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Blowby, you just made my day,again. You are to feffing funny!!! Ralphie

17. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

If youve got a drum ,some molassis and time . mix it up 50/50 with water and , behold .white mans magic !

18. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

Leno worked for a Ford dealership in Massachusetts before he got discovered doing comedy he s not mechanically challenged , i like Evapo Rust it does work , i dont think id try anything else no matter who said it was great

Surfcityrocker and blackjack like this.
  19. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Yeah molasses, I've heard the best mix is 1 part molasses to 5 parts water. Soak, rinse with water. Biodegradable, non harmful to environment and if covered good for up to a year.

Did I mention cheap too ?

Cosmo49 likes this.
  20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I believe Leno. Anybody that can high side Tim Allen has to be 'legit'! LOL

Spoke with Jay at a SEMA show couple years back...I found him respectful, knowledgeable, and very impulsive with humor...('Fast on the Draw')
    I'd visit with him any time...

Texas57, alanp561, nochop and 3 others like this.
  21. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

I heard you put the molassis vat out in a field since it stinks. (Darn, I got rid of the plastic drum that would have been perfect for soaking. I guess 5 gallon bucket will have to do. 3% acetic acid say on youtube too.

22. Kevin Buehner

Kevin Buehner

Rust911 is a concentrated product that makes 16 gallons of usable product from a 1 gallon jug. I used it in a gas tank from a 53 Chrysler and thought it worked well. The tank originally very rusty had an even dark gray galvanized coloring to it. $59.50 for sixteen gallons. Shoot it down if you want to, but it worked for me. But then I enjoy Leno also.

nochop and The37Kid like this.
  23. Tin Lizzie

Tin Lizzie
    from Ohio

Gotta love that !!!

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm gonna keep saying it...
    CITRIC ACID. Non-toxic. Works works works.
    It's the active ingredient (that removes rust) in Molasses. You can buy smaller amounts in the baking aisle at the grocery store. Larger amounts at bakery supply outlets or online.

gnichols and Cosmo49 like this.
  25. Main advantage I see is the ArchOil also does some non-ferrous metals, something Evap-o-rust doesn't do.

26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Or electrolysis, if it's important not to remove any metal molecules from machined surfaces, etc.
    Don't use on chrome.
    With both methods...citric acid and electrolysis, there is some hydrogen embrittlement. I'm still doing research, but I'm gathering that in most instances, it's unlikely to cause a problem. There is hydrogen embrittlement in the process of chroming. Many axles and other stressed parts have been chromed in the past.

27. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

I have a 2 gallon bucket (8:1 water:molassess) that has been going for several years. I buy 5 gallons buckets of it from feed stores for less than a gallon of tradition rust eater. IT WORKS! Leave parts in for about 2 weeks, rinse off and the metal is shiney silver. You'll need to prime it or something similar to prevent flash rust quickly. I put a stuck pair of window regulators in and they work like new now.
    austin-window-regulators-before-after2.jpg

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  28. Road Runner

Road Runner

29. MrCreosote

MrCreosote
    from USA

Muriatic acid leaves a highly reactive surface because it leaves chlorine atoms behind - so it's like you have Bonneville salt chemically bonded to the surface.

I've got air cleaners for an R1 and R2 and I think I, I mean they, may take the Molasses punch.

30. Road Runner

Road Runner

I always use baking soda solution after any type of acid treatments to neutralize.

GuyW likes this.