Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Recommendations for a RELIABLE Car Transport Company?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Frodo, Dec 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frodo

Frodo

I need to have a car shipped from the East coast to Iowa, as soon as possible. Must be covered and totally reliable, with tracking and real phone numbers. Any suggestions?

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bill Squires or Racinman. I've used them both and like them. Both will give you names of others they trust if they aren't going your way in your time frame.

gggholson and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Should I be expecting something?!!

4. This is a weekly thread. Right up there with which white walls.:rolleyes:

hrm2k, lothiandon1940 and Steve Ray like this.

5. Frodo

Frodo

Nope, sorry. It's my present to myself!

Truck64 likes this.
  6. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

See, it says so right on the box.

[​IMG]

denis4x4 likes this.
  7. Thank you Sir for the kind words, they mean a lot!

Unfortunately I cannot help on this one as I am off the road till after the 1st of the year to
    spend the holidays with family & friends that I don't get to see during the year, being on the road so
    much the rest of the year.

Racinman Rick & also BenD are also Quality Transporters & great car guys as well. They have ads in the Hamb O Dex section along with mine. However I would imagine IF they are running during the
    holiday season, they will be booked well in advance. I recommend very few others as they must have a Quality reputation, because I don't want mine tainted by what someone else does.

The only other one you might try is :
    Doc Schwarz out of Michigan (734) 341-0507 I have sent many of my overflow his way & have had
    only positive comments from my customers!

If you go big carrier, I am a bit embarrassed to say I used Reliable to transport a high dollar
    XLR-V out of Arizona for me because the dealership wanted it out of there in 30 days & my transport schedule was booked 60 days at that point. They did a great job & the driver even felt comfortable
    enough to tease me a bit about being a transporter & paying someone else to do my own car!

God Bless & Merry Christmas
    Bill Squires(owner)
    Bill's Auto Works
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...ar-transport-hauling-open-or-enclosed.614419/

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    5window, TagMan, dwollam and 3 others like this.
  8. Frodo

Frodo

I talked with Bill this afternoon, he's the kind of guy I'm looking for but unfortunately he's not available, nor is Doc.

Shipping a car is turning out to be a VERY difficult process... 95%+ of online sites seem to be scams, and even allegedly local listings aren't real. Several companies show up as being in my rather small home town, either with no addresses or fake ones, and all connect to national broker services with hideously bad reviews, total scams.

If there's anyone out there in central Iowa that's qualified, let me know. Fair warning: I'll vet you very carefully, but I'll pay very well!

Bill's Auto Works likes this.
  9. Racinman lives on South Carolina. HRp

10. Frodo

Frodo

He doesn't go North in winter.

11. Have you tried BenD?

He has also hauled for me in the past. HRP

12. RAK

RAK

13. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

A driver recommended by Dearborn Deuce is delivering one of their bodies on a rolling pallet to me here in Iowa in the next 2 weeks or so. I will rate him after delivery is made.
    Intercity Lines has agreed to do it and is my backup. All the companies I talked to are planning now for at least after Jan. 1
    Understand that these companies strive to haul full loads which helps keep costs down for everyone.
    Factering in weather issues and people problems makes for a logistics nightmare IMHO.
    Patience is the key with service of this type.

14. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Frodo,

I've used Racin' Man Rick, Bill , Ben D and Jim at Vintage.
    All were great and kept me posted.
    That being said - you picked a time of year with high risk unfavorable traveling conditions.

DO NOT go through the U-SHIP Website - it's all brokers with - who ever they can find to haul. No telling what company will haul it.

I've used Reliable Carriers last winter. Midwest to West Coast and back.
    They have trucks running east to west - west to east - all over.
    They are one of the few classic car Large national haulers that you talk to their dispatch and discuss a target schedule.
    They will give you a window and in my case they were quicker than the window.

All depends on their Truck locations of course.
    Their trucks are tricked out - that is for sure.
    Drivers very courteous.

Call Reliable Carriers and see what you can arrange is my suggestion.

The rest of the year - spring, summer or fall - I will ALWAYS call my fellow HAMB Hauling friends first.

Good luck.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiasPPuyoLfAhWJ_YMKHaiZDm0QFjAAegQICRAB&url=https://reliable-carriers.com/corporate-services/online-tracking/&usg=AOvVaw28v5C5wgDlYN7pgDkwkSk6

click on the above link

5window and Texas Webb like this.
  15. Frodo

Frodo

I just requested a quote from Reliable, they said "this is not a traffic lane we are currently servicing". Weird.

16. TrailerTrashToo

TrailerTrashToo

I "suspect" that all the major carriers are committed to hauling to and from the January auctions in Scottsdale, AZ. Second, as mentioned above, many haulers will not risk their equipment (and your car) driving in the snow belt. Third, there is no profit in hauling one car in a 53 foot enclosed trailer.

trulyvintage likes this.
  17. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The only other suggestion is Intercity Lines - located out of Massachusetts.

https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb=!1s0x89e6ba60eb4e241d:0xd9d9f0b1faf7616e!2m22!2m2!1i80!2i80!3m1!2i20!16m16!1b1!2m2!1m1!1e1!2m2!1m1!1e3!2m2!1m1!1e5!2m2!1m1!1e4!2m2!1m1!1e6!3m1!7e115!4shttp://www.intercitylines.com/intercity-lines-keeps-automotive-world-moving-friends-hooniverse-com/!5sintercity+lines+auto+transport+reviews+-+Google+Search&imagekey=!1e1!2shttps://i2.wp.com/hooniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/intercity-lines-transporter-cropped.jpg?resize=720%2C514&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj_pMGI-4PfAhVIXKwKHXP-AZIQoiowCnoECAUQBg

Address: Warren, MA
    Phone: (800) 221-3936

They wont ship just one car in a 53 Foot truck so you will have to see what their projected time frame is too.
    It's a crappy time of year for transports.

If you are that desperate - go rent a truck , buy a single car enclosed trailer / ratchet tie downs, get it yourself and sell the trailer when you get back.

That way there - all the vetting, reliability and phone number is on you.

Good Luck

5window likes this.
  18. Frodo

Frodo

I just talked to Intercity Lines, they won't quote, said call back, it might be possible in late January. Also called Ken Baker, he only goes as far West as Indiana.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  19. Personally - I would not do that run until the Spring.

That is not a normal route run this time of year
    by the major carriers - no auctions or car shows.

Most actual businesses that transport vehicles carry more than one car at a time.

If they are traveling west along I-80 from the East Coast - they want to be full all the way to the West Coast - they do not want to drop in Iowa because they need to pick up another vehicle or continue west with an empty spot.

I have been on the HAMB since 2008 - Alliance Member every year.

I am an actual business with a website that I wrote the code for - it has been in continuous operation since 2006

I carry $100,000 insurance.

Right now I am in Holbrook, AZ getting a new
    tire on my trailer.

Inside my trailer - a 1915 Stanley Steam 820 Mountain Wagon that I picked up in Pennsylvania - it is headed to Anacortes, WA.

1B87B4F5-C796-40AF-B928-1D438DA5E87B.jpeg

This is the second 1915 Stanley Mountain Wagon I have transported - the first was in
    March of this year - it was a $1.3 million two
    year restoration that won “ Best In Class “ at the 2018 Amelia Concours De Elegance.

Jim

tractorguy likes this.
  20. I'm afraid you need the car moved during the worse time, during the winter,.

And to back up what Cob said about U-SHIP website, I sold a Model A sedan and the man that purchased it talked to racinman and called me back and said he found someone to do the job at a big savings, this U_SHIP guy showed up 4 days late and pulling a trailer that looked like it had been pulled out of a field tens years ago,there was not a speck of paint on the trailer and one of the 4 tires was bald.

The truck wasn't too much better, I had to jump him off and he said if he ran the headlights the battery would die.

This is what you get from that type of service, the guy that will do the job for the least amount of money, I doubt the guy that picked up the Model A was insured to be carrying someones car. HRP

21. Why can't you fly in and drive the car home? HRP

22. alchemy

alchemy

Wait for Bill Squires. My little bro recently had a Corvette hauled by Bill to State Center and he had nothing but big praise for the service. If the car means much to you, I hope you can find a way to wait for a good hauler. If the car is just junk, then try U-ship.

BenD is also a good guy and has hauled stuff for my other brother, but I didn't think he had enclosed services. Maybe he does, but he's really the wrong direction for that load anyway and it might be a longer wait for him to line it up.

6inarow and Bill's Auto Works like this.
  23. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

I have used Pilot Transport a couple of times with good luck.

24. Hugh Jones

Hugh Jones
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’ve used Thomas Sunday Transport out of New Kingstown, Pa. twice, once out of south Fla. and once out of southern Calif, did a perfect job and on time !

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. I have used Intercity an couple of times, without any issues.

Steve Ray likes this.
  26. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

In other words you are too far from an interstate. I've heard that also.

27. 5window

5window

All this is the real stuff. Iowa's not at a transport hub, weather's iffy and you've got a bad timeline. Doing it yourself is probably the best best for this time of year. Is there really a big rush for getting it right now?

trulyvintage likes this.
  28. Frodo

Frodo

Does anyone have any experience with Autobahn USA?

29. alchemy

alchemy

Iowa's not at a transport hub? You mean I-80 and I-35 aren't big roads that run through the middle of the country? Nobody ever travels down them?

Not everybody lives right next to an Interstate. Do those big guys only wait for customers whose driveway connects to an off-ramp?

30. If the OP wants his car right away that he chose to buy at the beginning of what looks like yet another bad Winter .....

He should go get it himself

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.