Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Dupree fuel pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by _Jim_, Dec 1, 2018.

1. _Jim_

_Jim_

image.jpg image.jpg I've got a Dupree electric fuel pump it's a 12 v model 807 needs a new diaphragm. I checked with Walbro but they said no parts. Anyone know of a source? Also I'm not familiar with the 807 as most are 801 models. Looks cool and the old ones I used in the past worked well.

2. 19Fordy

19Fordy

3. _Jim_

_Jim_

Yeah, I just took it apart and the diaphragm was like a soft goo, I contacted Walbro and they said it was obsolete no parts available so it's back to the box. Thanks for info but I guess the parts have dried up.

4. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Here's the direct link:
    http://autoperformanceengineering.com/html/bel_pump.html

They claim to still have the rebuild kits including bellows, but have this to say about the bellows:

The latest versions of the Walbro bellows kits are made of the same material that they have been made of for the past 20 years or so. That material does not survive long in the newer fuels that contain all kinds of funky additives. Fuels with alcohol in them tend to eat-up the bellows, too.

Your initial/previous bellows probably lasted 20 years or so; you should feel lucky of they last 20 months in today's fuels.

If your old bellows pump clicks wildly when you put power to it, yet does not flow any fuel, 99 percent of the time it is a failed bellows. You can buy a few bellows kits and rebuild your pump every couple years, or check out the FR Series pumps - they don't have a bellows.

5. _Jim_

_Jim_

Thanks, I sent APE an email and am waiting for their reply.

6. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A few years ago, I talked to Walbro about replacement bellows. At that time, all of the replacement bellows were made of polyurethane and absolutely could not be exposed to alcohol fuels. They would just soften and tear. Even the vapors from modern fuel would make them gooey! Walbro was not interested in developing a true replacement bellows because they had their new pumps on the market. So, the old pumps are relegated to the shelf unless someone wants to dump some bucks into developing tooling to make a neoprene bellows. Given the small demand for these old pumps, it’s most probably not cost effective. :(

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Those old WALBRO style pumps are junk. Don't waste your time
    or money on them.

jimmy six and uncleandy 65 like this.
  8. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You’re right 19Fordy! The new pumps are so much more reliable. But, there are those who want to use a pump that looks more “traditional”!

9. 62rebel

62rebel

They might be considered junk now because we can't rebuild them but they worked fine with the old fuel. Can't help what the oil industry has done.

10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I had one of those that had AC on the side, guess Walbro made them for AC because it looked just like that one. It worked good, too good sometimes, on some carbs it would overload the needle valve and float. What was neat was they didn't run all the time unless they overloaded the float, they would kinda burpppp, then off, then you'd hear burpppp again.

11. contact Charlie NY on the Ford Barn. Charlie has the correct material to solve the gooey problem. He makes diaphragms for flat head fuel pumps that withstand the newer type gasoline. He should have the material in stock.

62rebel likes this.
  12. _Jim_

_Jim_

I got Charlie NY's email and will ask him if he has a diaphragm that will stand up to the alcohol. Thanks Nick and everybody for the help. I know there are better pumps out there but just would like to get this one working for old times sake.

lemondana likes this.
  13. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think there is a misunderstanding regarding the pump’s soft parts. The gaskets and valve discs can easily be made from sheet stock neoprene. The difficulty is in the bellows (not a diaphragm).

[​IMG]

On the left is a failed attempt at a alcohol compatable bellows. On the right is an old stock polyurethane bellows. As you can see, coatings don’t work. A new part, molded in a material capable of being exposed to the present fuels,needs to be developed in order for these old style pumps to be useful again.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

14. _Jim_

_Jim_

That's it, the bellows, mine melted into pudding. Thanks Chris.

15. leon bee

leon bee

I really liked those pumps, had a couple going back 35 years or more. In fact, I still have them just can't bring myself to pitch em.

16. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Jeez, they already have the molds for the bellows, you'd think they could pour in correct material to make the right alcohol compatible part.

17. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Could it be that simple? Guess if they thought they could sell a zillion of them they would hop to it..For just a few it would not be cost effective..

18. BJR

BJR

If they don't make the replacement parts, the pumps are useless. Then they have a chance to sell you a new one. Guess which one they will make more profit on?

19. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The impression I got from the Walbro engineer was “forget the old stuff, we have better new stuff!”. The old tooling may exist, but who knows where it is and what condition it’s in. Plus, if you made a 1000 bellows, you’d have 900 sitting on the shelf. The best hope for these pumps would be to find an existing, off-the-shelf bellows. I’ve been looking, but have yet to hit on anything that will fit and work with all fuels. :(

20. manyolcars

manyolcars

The Rocket Scientist is still with us!!! I hope you are doing well

21. Duco Avis

Duco Avis

Hi, are there any developments? I have the same problem and wrote and ordered at autoperformance. I did not receive any reply or the bellows. Are they still there?
    I am in the Netherlands and currently testing different filament of flexible material in order to 3d print some bellows. There are some materials that should work with petrol with additives and ethanol. But now, after a good 6 weeks I see and feel no difference yet.
    Met groet
    Duco

22. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I ran the AC Dupree back in the early 80's and they were the biggest piece of crap you could buy. They get hot and just fall apart.

23. Duco Avis

Duco Avis

Thanks, will start to look around for another. Maybe the Carter? I found the SU, for 6 V , but that has a rather low pressure. Printing in 3 D may end up leaking as well. Did somebody try that already?

24. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

:eek: HAMBlasphemy! :eek:

Ned Ludd and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  25. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m pretty sure they are still there. I ordered one of their low pressure pumps a few years ago. Haven’t used it, though. Anyway, at that time, they didn’t have any repair kits with bellows. What’s really sad is all of my spare bellows turned into mushy tar lumps in their boxes. There must have been something wrong with the polyurethane.

If you’re going to try 3D printing a bellows, try a teflon filament. Thin bellows webs should allow full movement through the stroke.

26. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Interesting to hear that the bellows failed in their packages. When I read up on their website about the bellows, they claimed modern gas was to blame for the bellows failing.

Ned Ludd likes this.
  27. Rocket Scientist Chris

Rocket Scientist Chris
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It was really weird. I had the new bellows and some old gaskets in a ziplock bag stored in a plastic storage box with a lid. Evidently, the old gaskets, having been exposed to fuel, outgassed through the ziplock bag. Must have been enough residue to attack the polyurethane. :(

28. Duco Avis

Duco Avis

There must be something wrong with the base material. My pump was NOS, stored dry and never used or installed. The bellows were completely gone to goo. Thanks for the idea re teflon. Will ask for a piece to test as well. ( few weeks later and still no visible effect in the other tests.
    Will keep you posted
    met hartelijke groeten
    Duco

29. Duco Avis

Duco Avis

Update a year onwards. The test filaments are still in the glass containers and seems to be fine. We printed a test bellows that was not flexible enough. After that I bought some bellows at : fishery supplies in Seattle. Use one and found that the design was a bit different than we thought. Redesign started in Feb but came to stand still in Corona/covid times. Will see if we can get design adapted and print a new one with thinner walls.
    groet Duco

Hollywood-East likes this.
  30. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

AC Dupree are the biggest piece of crap ever made. On a hot day they will self destruct .