Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 63 fairlane questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr. h, Dec 1, 2018.

1. I picked up a 63 4 door fairlane 500 as a family cruiser. It has the 200 inline 6 2 speed auto which sucks. So I’m building a 302 c4 for it and I have a question about the rear end. Should I swap it out? No clue what gears came in the inline 6 cars. This will not be a racer or driven hard. Just a family cruiser that can actually pass other cars on the highway. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

The stock rear may hold up if you drive like there was an egg under the gas pedal. It would not stand very many burn outs!!

mr. h likes this.
  3. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

I would swap it. Those original rear gears are pretty puny. If all you do is put about it will work ok. But with any spirited driving at all, a 302 can break it.

loudbang and mr. h like this.
  4. RmK57

RmK57

If you swap over to an 8 inch axle it might a good time to add disc brakes or at least covert to a 5 bolt spindle for the front.

5. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

I think the 90's. or maybe 2000 era explorers could possibly fit the bill, plus the discs as a bonus.

6. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

This is a Fairlane not a Falcon. It's a real car and it has a real rear axle. These came standard with a 8".
    Being a 6 Fordomatic car the gear ratio may be lower than the 3.00 to one common in V8 automatic cars. Likely it's somewhere in the 3s. The door tag will tell.
    Nothing wrong the 8" it will do fine behind a 302 C4.
    Exhaust/headers can be tricky on these make sure you get little Fairlane specific. Falcon...Mustang.....66 up Fairlane stuff does not fit.
    HiPo iron manifolds fit and are cheaper than the tube headers available for these cars.

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

leave it alone and drive it.

bobss396, RMONTY and low budget like this.
  8. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

All 62-65 Fairlanes and 62-3 Meteors are 5 lug 5x4.5. 62-3 could have 13" wheels but they were still 5 lug. These cars came standard with 8" rear axles. It's a Fairlane not a Falcon or a Comet.

deathrowdave likes this.
  9. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Jimmy, I know where he is coming from. I had a 67 Mustang with the 170 and factory air. It's the most next to nothing car I have ever driven. The only thing that happened when you downshifted into passing gear is.....the car got louder.
    Those 2 speed light duty early 60's Fordomatics were stinkers. If they work that's good but parts now are a problem.

10. I decoded the door tag and it has 3:25 gears. That should be cool with a c4. I had the same combo in a 53 ford. I may go with an aod just for the hell of it.

11. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

I will stand corrected on my first post. I thought the 62 and 63 Flane were more Falcon like, then redesigned for 64.

12. If you are going to keep the same old column (use it for shifting) you need to remove the safety switch from the within column and connect it to the shift arm on the tranny C4 style. also you need to get the detent plate for a C4 pattern or else you will not be able to get the low gear manually.
    You might be able to use the old driveshaft also.
    The rear should be fine.
    Nice looking car.

loudbang, mr. h and deathrowdave like this.
  13. Thank you, I was planning on going floor shift and just cutting a hole in the floor. That’s what I did in my 53.

14. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

The 63 200 six Fordotragic , 221 V8 Auto , and the 260 3 speed manual All came with a 3.25:1 rear end ratio.

Leave it alone, it will handle a 302 easily [unless you like doing 1 wheel burnouts]

Instead of swapping the rear end , why don't you use an AOD instead of a C4 behind the 302.[you're doing a trans swap anyway]
    AOD's don't need a computer and have a starter safety switch and reverse light switch on the trans.

If this was my car [ I have a real soft spot for Fairlane Compacts] I would hunt down a Roller cam 5.0 and AOD. Convert the 5.0 to Carb and Dizzy.
    The 5.0 would be reasonably quick as the Fairlane V8 Autos only weighed 3126 lbs
    The car would be a pleasure to drive daily, and cruise at open road speeds without beating your ears to death.
    With 24.5" diameter tyres it would cruise at 70 mph at 2090 rpm.
    The roller cam 5.0 allows you to use a short duration/high lift cam. Which would make it nice and useable.

I would sell my 2 door 57 Chevy and buy a 63 2 door compact anyday [they are cooler than a freezer in a blizzard]

mr. h likes this.
  15. NICE, Just like myy first car in high school around 1975. Same motor and trans. I swapped in a 289 my Sr year and it was a runner !!! Dont worry about the rear. I ran mine so hard that I sheared the pin that centers the axle housing tubes on the leaf springs but never hurt the diff. Drove the crap out of that car with the 289/3 spd till I went in the Corps. Even drove it from Indy to DC and back one summer.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  16. I've seen a few '62s with the 7.5" light-duty rear, but only with the 'base' 170 six. And still five lug...

17. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

Simply replacing the Fordomatic with a C4 will improve the car tremendously.
    There are a couple bellhousing patterns for the 200, I believe later engines had a dual pattern on them.
    Consider joining the Fairlane Club of America for really good technical advice and articles.

18. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Nice. Have you checked on motor mounts yet? The factory V8 cars have frame brackets that the 6 cyl. cars do not have.

mr. h likes this.
  19. That’s what I was going to start hunting next. I believe there are some aftermarket parts made but I haven’t looked too deep yet.

20. I picked up a 302 out of an 89 mustang, as a short block that was rebuilt so it has the factory forged pistons and the guy put an f303 cam in it. I’m just going to find some gt40 heads and a simple intake and carb and probably the aod now that I think about it.

loudbang likes this.
  21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

You may also find the 3.25's a bit high with an AOD, or you may love them. I have had a couple of pickups with 302/AOD with 3.50 ratios, and personally would have been much happier with 3.70 to 4.10 gears.

22. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

These cars are geared high. If you already have a c4 I, see no real advantage going with a overdrive.

Since they are geared so high, you have to really think out the cam/converter/ rear gear combo.

mr. h likes this.
  23. On the fairlane club of America forum there is seller that has tons of parts and mostly deals with parting these Fairlane. The info archive is worth the club membership. The forum work good too.

24. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

That will make it a good driver , GT40P heads were fitted to an Explorer but will drop compression 1/2 a point . E7TE heads are ok and Cheap
    The F303 is quite a hot cam for a cruiser and will need some compression. AND check that the valves don't "romance" the pistons

Make sure you have a distributor gear that is compatible for the camshaft.

Before people try and talk you into changing ratios . A 1989 Mustang 5.0 with AOD had a 2.73 final drive [and optional 3.23]
    So your Fairlane's ratio is close to the Mustang's optional ratio.
    The '89 Mustang weighs 3164 lbs , so your Fairlane is 68 lbs lighter.

The stock Mustang had 225 [SAE net] Horsepower ,300 Ft/lbs of torque and 20 mpg.
    The old 271 HP 289 would have similar SAE net ratings.
    If you could get that old Fairlane to behave like a late 80's car [performance wise] you will be happy with it.

Use a dual plane manifold and a 500 cfm Edelbrock carb with electric choke and it'll be quite crisp to drive.

I've pulled a few 5.0's from our local U-Pull and everyone still had the cross hatch marks in the bores after 120,000 miles . So buying a complete Motor and AOD wouldn't be too risky.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    mr. h likes this.
  25. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The stock '83-85 aluminum 4V intake is good, but has an EGR port at the carb flange you will need to cover up if not using the stock Holley and EGR setup.

26. I have had a 64 Fairlane with 289, C4, and 3.25 8 inch for 25 years and have loved it. It came this way from the factory but was not quite stock when I got it. (Edelbrock intake, bad headers, dual point, B&M shifter, etc). The rear you have will work just fine unless you want to spin both tires. If that is the case, your easiest solution is to modify or swap your pumpkin. These cars are similar to but not quite the same mechanically as Mustangs and Falcons. Be careful to buy parts that are made for your Fairlane as others might not fit.

I second the recommendation to join the Fairlane Club of America. They have a great website and a good magazine with fantastic technical articles. All the magazines for the last ~30 years are archived on the website.

From what I have read, you will want to steer clear of the GT-40P heads due to conflict between spark plugs and available headers. AutoKrafters is a good source for parts. Hooker Supercomp PN# 6134 headers are the only ones I know fit well. (Others have had varied success fitting others.) In addition to making fiberglass hoods and other parts to clone Thunderbolts, Crites makes motor mounts and other parts you may need for this swap. Check out their website for pictures and price lists. Note, I do not have any experience with their parts.

Kerrynzl likes this.
  27. I've got nothing to add but sharp new ride, man. Aesthetically it's right on the money.

mr. h likes this.