Register now to get rid of these ads!

Please help identifying this Lincoln motor in my 53 F600 Pickup

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by logic2, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Not that it really means much, but the star in the center of your grill was used on 6 cylinder trucks, a V8 would have had a V8 emblem

2. Not necessarily, I have seen them both ways and may have been a 5 Star cab thing, not sure.

3. manyolcars

manyolcars

I dont think a 2 1/2 ton Truck can be called a 'pickup'. Henry Ford didnt think so either

X38 likes this.
  4. R Pope

R Pope

Those carbs were nicknamed "Towering Inferno's" around here. They have a tendency to catch fire.

deathrowdave likes this.
  5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

That 2 1/2 tonner would be a ‘PICKUP’......:D

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Trucks most likely only came with a 2 bbl carb so it looks like you have a car motor.

7. F600's never had Lincoln motors from the factory to my knowledge. F700-800's did for sure, but they are much more heavy duty.

8. Looks like 53 lincoln, carb and manifolds

Sent from my VS996 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. There's no governor on the carb so it's very likely a car engine.

deathrowdave likes this.
  10. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

The air cleaner is '52-'54 Lincoln( that "dip" in the bottom is to clear the top hose/thermostat housing(I just went out & looked under the hood on my '52 to verify). Also the base paint color on the air cleaner & rocker covers would be black in '52/ gold in '53-'54.

11. 54monterey

54monterey

12. Casting numbers from the block should tell what it is.
    We figured out that the truck was originally a 6 cylinder truck by the VIN elsewhere. It also clears up the question why it doesn't have a V8 emblem on the grille.

13. logic2

logic2

I appreciate all the information and suggestions !

I got it running good, replaced the brake system, new radiator, etc... and now I'm ready to replace the towering inferno (Tea Pot Carb) with a small 4bbl that is compatible.

Any suggestions ?
    I believe the distributor will also have to be replaced, what are my replacement options on the carb / dizzy on this old Lincoln Motor ?

Thanks for any feedback !

Mike
    Denison, Tx

Toms Dogs and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's the "milk truck" in the background of the photo showing the F600?

warhorseracing likes this.
  15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The Lincoln Y block was used in the trucks up to 63? and had a 4 bbl intake where a modern Holley would bolt on and if it did not have a governor it might have a better distributor.

16. sunbeam

sunbeam

F 800 used 317s in 53 are you sure its a 600 what trans 4 or 5 spd

17. mickeyc

mickeyc

Hello Mike
    Hello Mike, MickeyC here. I have a distributor from a 272 Y block Ford motor.
    I pulled it out of a 55 pickup. I dont know if it would fit your motor. If you can
    determine fitment and think it may work for you hit me up if you may need it.

18. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

MickeyC : the 272 distributor will work IF YOU PUT THE LINCOLN DRIVE GEAR ON IT as they have different tooth count, MAY NEED TO CHANGE OIL PUMP TO "HEX" DRIVE & use HEX DRIVE SHAFT FROM DISTRIBUTOR TO OIL PUMP Early "Y-Blocks(Ford/Mercury/Lincoln) used a tang/slot drive & only exchange as an assembly

19. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

I have never seen a tea pot 2 barrel. I guess I’m showing my age . I feel sure the base size has to the same as a Ford or Holley 2 barrel . But it may not be . The distributer and carb can be rebuilt , in this era of Ford manufacturing things we able to be saved and rebuilt , not the same as the world we know it today . Time to take it apart and look into it a bit deeper . If you need any OEM parts , Green Sales in Cinti ., Oh . Would be my first call . Mr . Dave Cooper is a rodder , and has worked there over 30 years . I worked at a Ford dealership in the parts dept . with him way before I was in the free agent part of life .

20. Toms Dogs

Toms Dogs
    from NJ