Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old Dog, Old Tricks, New twist (well,...maybe)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by modelamotorhead, Nov 23, 2018.

1. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

I'm not much on posting build threads of my own stuff ( although I do enjoy reading here about other hot rodder's builds.), and since this is probably going to be my last hot rod build (turn 70 in January), I think I will give it a whirl. I have built 10 Model A Ford hot rods over my past 50 years in the hobby and I have stuck to the same formula all those years that a lot of guys my age use. I start with as straight as I can find stock A frame, get a fair body in the model that I want to build, usually stick with a built banger but have installed a few V/8's, stock crash box or '39 box, dropped axle with hairpins, '40 juice brakes. Pretty much a trad rod build.

This time will be an old dog variation on the old tricks.

I'll be using a stock frame and dropped axle that I already have as my starting point, but the variation will be in the form of trying to gather all the parts I need off the H.A.M.B....No Evilbay, no CL, no swap meets, no other vendors other than those here on the H.A.M.B.
    I have already obtained a nice '29 roadster body from a fellow hamber in Nevada, and just today purchased a T-5 from another hamb member in Florida (thanks guys). This should be a fun challenge to me, I'll post what parts I want (oops,.. I meant need!) as I move along on the build. 011 (3).JPG 010 (3).JPG

2. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Cool beans! Looks like youve got plenty of other cool stuff to tool around in while ya build this one.
    Cool thread! Will be lookin forward to seeing what you come up with:cool:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. Thanks for posting your build.
    Good luck!

4. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

A quick question to ask you guys. Do you think it would be O.K. for me to acknowledge each vendor that I purchase parts from as I acquire them on this thread?? I would just like to thank them ( or cuss 'em ) by using their H.A.M.B. handle rather than their real names and give a very brief description of the items I receive. I figure that this tactic would also serve me (us) well as a quality control device on the parts offered here. I know that we all here on the H.A.M.B are of stellar character and beyond reproach in our honest parts dealings. But you know what they say about one bad apple...........

AHotRod likes this.
  5. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Ok... here goes... time to beg....
    1. I need a decent 1939-'40 Ford rear end. Does not have to have torque tube assembly as car will be T5 with an open drive line. Rear brake assembly's a plus. I'd like it to be within 250 miles of Spokane WA. if at all possible.

2. I need a '29 radiator made for flathead V/8. An aftermarket like Walker or Brassworks would be fine, but no Griffin aluminum or foreign made aluminum radiators please.

That's all for now. I've got a lead on a rebuilt 59AB that's close to Spokane, if it doesn't pan out then that will also be on the list. I'll be begging for more stuff soon..........

JUNK ROD likes this.
  6. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Got the H.A.M.B. member supplied T-5 today. Very pleased with it and thank you brsturges for the great deal.

Now, where will the differential come from?? Or the radiator for that matter....Come on guys, I'm begging again here:( 027.JPG 028.JPG

7. pumpman

pumpman

May the power of HAMB be with you. Neat thread by the way.

8. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

Glad the T5 arrived in great shape! My crating jobs aren’t pretty but they haven’t failed me yet! That super clean T5 will look great in that chassis! Looking forward to watching this build.

AHotRod likes this.
  9. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Thanks fellas, I think I have got the 59AB nailed down, there's just a few fine points that need to be ironed out and It should be mine. There's just a little horse trading involved. It's my hope that this build can be accomplished in a somewhat timely manner. Some of the parts I need may be made out of unobtainium and have the rarity of hen's teeth. Such as a used early Ford V/8 to T5 adaptor. But the hunt on the H.A.M.B. goes on and you never know what will turn up.

10. F&J

F&J

I don't follow T5 stuff but I thought the builders here use a Ford OEM hogshead with a plate adapter?

Is the plate hard to fab?

11. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Please correct me if I'm wrong as this is my first attempt at mating the T5 to an early V/8. My research indicates that if you are using a T5 on a 1932-1953 Ford V/8, then you will need a flat head truck 4 speed bell housing in addition to an adapter kit. The adapter kit is easily obtained new here on the H.A.M.B. by outstanding vendors such as Krylon32 (Cornhusker Rod & Custom). Or Speedway and Wilcap if I do not obtain the kit here. I don't know about me fabricating an adapter plate, not sure I would have the skill/machine work/patience to do so. That 4 speed bell housing is the sticking point...made out of unobtainium....

12. AHotRod

AHotRod

I'll follow along on your journey and build

13. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

If you are using a 59AB engine, you don’t need the intermediary bellhousing to use the Cornhusker or Speedway adapter. It will bolt right to the block and to the T5. You just need that intermediary one with an 8ba engine.

Alternatively, you can use a hogshead bellhousing with an adapter plate. No need to fabricate one as a guy named Dwight Bond (may be on the HAMB) sells them. If you need a hogshead, message me as I have one I’m putting up on the classifieds. The benefit to using the hogshead is that you can use stock clutch linkage more easily.

A5375164-9D4E-4E8D-A48B-3A8C066A20F5.jpeg 0187D5E4-0558-4066-AB3D-6D9957D86497.jpeg

kidcampbell71, cactus1 and JUNK ROD like this.
  14. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Great plan! I will be following this one. Best of luck.

15. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

16. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Oh man! I'm glad you guy's are here to help. The engine I will be acquiring is a 59AB which will uncomplicate (is that even a word??) the T5 swap immensely. Like I said, I'm a complete neophyte on the T5 swap. Thanks for the help/clarification bsturges.

17. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Great information. Printed it off and put it in the shop. I will call Dwight Bond at Second Chance Auto (303) 468-5885 in Nebraska to see if he will build me an adapter. I've read that he may be retired, but I hope he is still making these adapter plates.

41 coupe likes this.
  19. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

OOps....Dwight Bond's phone number is (308) 468-5885. Just called and it has been disconnected.
    Sooo...Wrote him an email and we'll see what happens........

20. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

It seems life got in the way of "old dog new tricks" and I haven't posted for quite awhile. Got the tranny adapter from Dwight Bond and it's a beautiful piece of work. here's a few pix of the slow progress I'm making on the roadster......Need a decent pair of '29 roadster doors now and a deck lid. 30 rpu 015.JPG 034 (2).JPG

21. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Thanks for posting. Great pictures. I will be interested in seeing how the t-5 works out.

22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

23. tinkirk

tinkirk

Call this guy 2317205939
    He’s in Michigan
    I know he just picked up a nice set of doors if he hasn’t sold them yet
    Never hurts to call
    He’s a good guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. modelamotorhead

modelamotorhead

Thanks tinkirk, I'll give him a call. Lots good guys here on the H.A.M.B.

25. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

Looking real good, Mike. I'll keep my eyes open for those parts you need. Life does get in the way sometimes but when it does, its always nice to return to a great looking project like that. I'll be following along for sure.