Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What unusual ways have you transported car parts?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Gary, Jul 15, 2016.

1. xix32

xix32

Early 1970's we went to Nebraska for the `29 roadster, then to Sioux City, Iowa for the floorless `31 roadster body.
    Tied the body down with ropes, pulling the trailer with a `62 Pontiac, and made it back to northern IL that way. "Double Decker roadsters" double decker roadsters, Souix City, Iowa .jpg

2. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

A couple of years ago while out of town on work, I saw a little trailer for sale made with a wide 5 banjo rear diff. I made the purchase and towed it back to the hotel. I wasn't confident dragging this thing down the highway for 250 miles at 80mph so I put it in the bed of the truck.
    I found a dirt wash with a sharp ledge, parked the trailer on the ledge, then backed the truck up to the ledge and rolled it in. Some clever wriggling around to get the ratchet straps set and away I went. I drove that way all week while I was working...lol

20160203_172421.jpg 20160204_150732.jpg

34 GAZ, Lowbuckbuilder and bchctybob like this.
  3. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

This involves a very OT car but it’s a great story one moving car parts so hopefully it can stay.

I built an OT replica of a popular 60’s car. My dad and I drove down to Massachusetts to pick up the kit. When you buy one they mount the body on the frame, no suspension and give you enough boxes of parts to fill a pickup.
    We had a 20’ enclosed trailer.

The guys at the factory told us about a recent buyer who showed up with a dodge minivan and no trailer.
    He filled the back of the van and then put the body and frame on the roof and headed back to Georgia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Oh, i forgot. I drug a 1970’s suzuki LJ80 (precursor to the samurai) home from montana in an enclosed Uhaul trailer. It only weighed like 1100 lbs, so well within the trailers specs, but probably not exactly what Uhaul had in mind. :)

bowlingball likes this.
  5. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

LOL...you're not alone. my buddy few from Albuquerque to Spokane, rented a U-Haul box truck and loaded up a 1923 Studebaker touring car and drove home. He said he called a roll back truck, loaded the Stude on the roll back and then was able to roll it into the box truck.....crazy bastard

Lowbuckbuilder likes this.
  6. Lowbuckbuilder

Lowbuckbuilder
    from San Diego

Haha, thats AWEsome. Git’r-done!

7. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

Met a guy at the Barrie swap meet who claimed 4 of his friends bought the front clip off a javelin and transported it home with a ford tempo to Newfoundland
    Hood tied on the hood, fenders on the roof, rad support on the trunk lid and grill on the laps of the two guys in the back seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. topher5150

topher5150

Some of these stories remind me of these guys that drive around the city with these old rotted out Chevy pickups with the disintegrating plywood sides with refrigerators bouncing around in the back.

swade41 and iwanaflattie like this.
  9. I,ve also had problems at airport security involving a heavy suitcase. Shortly after 911 disaster on a return flight from LosAngeles to Amsterdam. I had about 10 Stromberg 97s and 81s wrapped in plastic. Six security guys were having a fit , they thought the carbs were hand grenades. Then an older customs lady about 60 years old comes to see what the fuss is. Oh she says , their OK , no harm. She then explains as a young girl she had the fastest car in town with 6 of those things on the engine but had to sell the car after her father found out. Six red faced security guys were speechless. Also put big things on a little old Chevette. Once a fibreglass flipfront for an Anglia and once a benchseat for a 1939 Mercury Fordor. Said Chevette was ripe for the scrapper so removed the rear hatch to transport a flathead. Wonder if Mart will tell how he got Old Rusty,s roadster body home :oops:

10. KKrod

KKrod

I scored a really nice Edelbrock flathead slingshot manifold at an early Bakersfield hot rod reunion. Carried it back home in carry on luggage bag with no problems.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Digging though photos for one for another post this one showed up.
    You can't believe what you can do with a 50.00 boat trailer that has a clear title and tags when it doesn't have a boat sitting on it. I actually dumped a boat that I had sitting on it off in the yard and went and got the vicki and after unloading the Vicki put the boat back on the trailer. Boat is now a planter in some gal's yard after I gave it away on Craigslist

Attached Files:

KKrod, bobbytnm and Just Gary like this.
  12. GPCAT

GPCAT
    from Cabot P.A

My first rod was a 46 Stude pickup that did not run when i bought it at 17 , so we towed it with a chain 35 miles home .Good thing it had brakes that worked . This was in the early seventies Try that Now !!!

13. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

My Falcon came with a bunch of stuff including two engines and two transmissions. After the tow vehicle was filled up, we had no space for the extra engine. Removed the trunk lid, inserted engine, cushioned with some old motorcycle tires, and away we went...….

IMG_0165.JPG IMG_0166.JPG

mgtstumpy and Just Gary like this.
  14. brsturges

brsturges
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Miami, FL

The roof of my HHR comes in very handy. 134B46ED-3322-47EA-9308-66DBD7E3378B.jpeg

15. Was given a Model A frame. All I had to move it was my squarebody Suburban. Which it didn't quite fit into the back of. By then I'd put barn doors on the back of it to replace the tailgate that had quite literally fallen off as all that held it on was the rear glass.

So I hauled it 100 miles or so with the back doors slightly open and bungee corded in place. It probably would have hurt if I'd had to stop quick.

16. HotRod Jones

HotRod Jones
    from Spokane

My son bought a non-running parts car located in a crowded residential area of Sacramento Ca. Rather than hire a wrecker to transport the car out to a commercial area where it could be loaded, I built a wrecker boom to work on my semi truck tractor to transport the car to a construction site where I borrowed a forklift and loaded it onto the upper deck of my semi trailer for the trip home to Spokane Wa. Just all in a days work for a trucker. boom.jpg 65.jpg 65 on truck.jpg

17. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Hauled 3 coupe bodies home in a 5.5' long short bed pickup in the last year.
    SPark

body5.jpg body11.jpg 26T Body1.jpg 26T Body3.png Raven11.png Raven7.jpg

18. Auction stuff a few years ago; stacked up my chassis, put the kid's coupe bodies on top, stashed the sedan body in the truck and filled it with small parts.
    coupe2.jpg

mgtstumpy and KKrod like this.
  19. Picked up a '34 up in Four Town with the kid. just fit in the truck.
    34 loaded.jpeg

mgtstumpy and KKrod like this.
  20. In 1959, I bought a wrecked but complete 1953 Olds from an insurance auction, with the plan that I would swap the engine and transmission into my 1934 Ford pickup. The problem was, that the car was located in Edgemont, a tiny village on the Arrow Lakes, and separated by 90 miles of gravel road loaded with switchbacks.
    My plan was, for my buddy and myself to drive over to the car, pull the motor and tranny, and leave the rest of the car. We didn't have a problem finding the car, but after looking at it carefully, I determined that because the body was crumpled to the point there was no way in hell that I was going to get the engine out without a blue wrench, so the decision was made that we would tow it home.
    We used the chain from the engine hoist to secure the car to the truck, a 1950 GMC, and I hopped into the driver's seat by crawling through the window. It was a long, perilous drive over that mountain highway, with my having to steer the car on the gravel road in the dust without the protection of a windshield. Eventually, in the early evening, after many hours of eating dirt, we made it to a little logging town called Lumby. As we were driving on the main drag through town, a guy was exiting the beer parlour, took one look at the car, spun around and went right back inside (presumably to wash the vision out of his mind. The last 17 miles home went easily, and we finally arrived home exhausted.
    When I went in the house and looked in the mirror before stepping into the shower, I was shocked to see that I looked like a dust coated sasquatch!
    But we gott'er done.
    Bob

21. I once delivered a dis-assembled 396" Chevrolet from Connecticut to Queens, New York in the trunk of my almost new 1967 Camaro.

22. chinarus

chinarus
    from Georgia

I stuffed a 914 front fender in a airline cardboard suitcase and it went thru checked baggage just fine.
    A couple of rare 356 carbs came home on another business trip in my carry on baggage.

23. I took a sawzall with me when i went to pick up the donor 56 body.The seller said it came with a frame, my plan was to cut it up and haul it in the truck bed but was way too nice to ruin.
    247.JPG

mgtstumpy likes this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Did anyone notice the sign, 3W's straight.

mad mikey likes this.
  25. I stuffed two 40 Ford Sedan Delivery rear fenders and other parts for the same car on my 1995 BMW 525i Wagon...

26. justabeater37

justabeater37
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LM14 likes this.
  27. Nobey

Nobey

My neighbor gave me a flathead when I was 15, I hauled it down the ally 3 houses into the garage,
    with a wheelbarrow......

caseywheels likes this.
  28. blackrat40

blackrat40
    Member Emeritus

Once (in about '62) I hauled a '48 Ford flathead V8 engine in the back floor of my
    4 door '51 Studebaker Champion work car. I removed the back seat to make room.
    The suicide rear doors made it easy to get it in and out.

29. I reciently 56 pontiac 006.JPG 56 pontiac 007.JPG 56 pontiac 010.JPG hauled the engine trans cowl and front 1/2 of the frame of a 56 Pontiac chained to the rear most portion of the bed on my 66 GMC

30. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Had to bring home a 53 M-100 pickup I bought that had no windows or seat in it. My buddy towed me with a rope while I steered it sitting on a couple of milk crates for 50 miles in the winter at night. I wish I still had that much spirit.

hotrodharry2 and bobbytnm like this.