Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Removing Transmission from 235...help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zac B, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

I recently picked up a 1956 235 engine and it came with the transmission hooked up. I have no need for the transmission and would like to remove it from the bellhousing but seem to be struggling. I have unbolted the tranny and pried it out a little bit but it is not budging. Any insight into what I am doing wrong or pointers that will help for an easier removal? I’ve attached a couple pics for reference.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. flatford39

flatford39

I suspect you need to keep trying with a large screwdriver or other bar until it pops. Looks like it may be a little cocked holding it up. Get a pry bar underneath it to even out the removal. Your almost there.

3. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

It should come off that way. Maybe stuck in the disc, through out bearing, or pilot bushing.

LOST ANGEL and squirrel like this.
  4. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

Probably stuck in the disk. Try pressing on the release fork (will need BIG cheater) and it may "pop".

5. squirrel

squirrel

two bigass pry bars, one on each side.

But first, make sure both bottom bolts have been removed, they thread in from the front on those truck bellhousings.

6. indyjps

indyjps

Squirrel is THE MAN. If no one has thanked you yet today for your contribution to this board. I will.

Saxman likes this.
  7. spooler41

spooler41

If it's an automatic trans( powerglide)
    you will need to remove the torque converter bolts to cut it loose from the flex plate !

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Really?.........did you look at the photos?

9. Those 2 bolts will get you every time....

10. I don't think it was the lower bolts. They're already loose in the first pic. Probably just needed the pry bars..Stuck on the clutch disc.

11. squirrel

squirrel

Yeah, I doubt it would come out that far with the lower bolts tight...but you never know...

12. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

Went out and fiddled around with it a little more this evening. The bottom right bolt head was broke off when I got the engine & tranny and I think that may be causing my problems as the bolt threads are still threaded (somewhat) into the transmission & not allowing tranny to move. (See pics). I think I might try and run a thin cutting wheel between the transmission and bell housing and cut the bolt off at its base and see if that gives me more room to wiggle my pry bar in & start prying away!

Attached Files:

13. WTF?
    All yours, Jim. Take it away ...;-)

Mr48chev, squirrel and lumpy 63 like this.
  14. Had to use a block of wood and hammer on mine

15. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

16. squirrel

squirrel

like I said,the lower two bolts go in from the FRONT. That means, you will find the head of the bolt inside the bellhousing.

17. Yep. What Squirrel said
    Then the pry bars, blocks of wood and a hammer came in
    Had to loosen it up a little to get the pry bars in

18. What squirrel is trying to tell you is that your bottom bolt is not missing it’s head. It just that it’s hiding on the other end.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jimmy bruns likes this.
  19. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

Be very careful not to apply uneven pressure or that ear will surely snap off the trans. Even though you may n0t need it, it could be sold to someone who does. I always hate to see a good part ruined.

Saxman likes this.
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is probably some rust or crud on the splines that were sticking out causing it to hang up in the disk when you pull the splines through the disk.
    Big frigging pry bars and a buddy to hold up the end of the tail shaft to keep the input shaft from binding in the disk.
    As Reman said, don't pry on the ears and break one, even though the trans may not have any value to you it might be worth enough for a good burger and a couple of good brews to someone else.

21. By Front we mean the front of the vehicle, inside the bellhousing is where the bolt head is located.

bobss396 likes this.
  22. Can we come over, pull up lawn chairs, crack open a few beers and watch? Comments will be constructive.

23. Zac B

Zac B
    from Norman, OK

And we have success! Thanks Squirrel for the insight. I was able to remove the “inside” bolt and with a little prying the tranny slid right out. Next question, anybody want the transmission?
    Thanks again HAMB community!

Attached Files:

24. X-cpe

X-cpe

You would be surprised at how much damage one of those bolts can do if your young self doesn't tighten one all the way and it backs out.

25. I don't know about you but sometimes you get an idea in your head how a thing should be and unless someone spells it right out like you're mentally challenged your brain won't accept what they're trying to explain how your thinking is wrong.

Hnstray and Saxman like this.

26. Well not now after you beat the shit outta it!! Good stuff for getting it out

TagMan likes this.