Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects You got to start somewhere!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Tooth, Nov 18, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

41 vote(s)
    48.2%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Other

18 vote(s)
    21.2%
  4. 31

19 vote(s)
    22.4%
  5. 32

7 vote(s)
    8.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

I guess you could call this entertainment like going to a movie only getting in for free?

Ric Dean and Rehpotsirhcj like this.
  2. Are you talking to me? If so I'm not sure to what parts you refer?
    If you're ever near Lawrence give me a shout and I'll give you the nickel tour!

3. Here's Dickie Flippen's badass coupe just for fun... image.jpeg

Jet96, Tooth, Countn'Carbs and 4 others like this.
  4. Wheeliedave

Wheeliedave

5. Countn'Carbs

Countn'Carbs
    from CO

image.jpg @cactus1 is right on with the Dickie Flippen coupe - Mike knows what's cool for sure. Here is an earlier version which is pretty darn cool too imo.
    I had been watching that coupe body on Craigslist and glad to see a Hamber got it. Congratulations man and keep the updates coming.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
    Tooth, kidcampbell71, cactus1 and 4 others like this.
  6. rtomss

rtomss

Congrats on the Coupe! I'm a little partial but I love the Chevy styling. You have a ton of options on what direction to go with at this point but the body looks pretty solid considering there isn's any wood left. Budget, time line, outsourced help ect. all play into the end result. You've come to the right place for help and assistance thought. Just be careful when asking for opinions. BTW - Thirtytwo may not specialize in CAD made parts, but I've yet to find even a bad weld on what he's done for me. He knows his shit...

Fast Eddie 27 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

8. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

Thanks for your advice, I'm just like a biscuit sucking up the gravy!
    I may of found a 29 chevy frame to massage...

9. rtomss

rtomss

Have you seen it? 29's only had 4cyls. Does it have shorter rails than the 6cyl frames?

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

I think the WB on '29 was a few inches shorter.

11. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Hey Tooth, I have most of a 33 Chevy frame. It has the front suspension and steering still on it. It is cut behind the seat area. You can have it if you want. PM me

Hombre and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  12. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

way 2 go Ron !
    I have the front half of '28 bowtie. frame... cut at the kick ups....
    also free.... I will keep the good working shocks for my project...042120
    will be frozen in hard soon, as we have had 3 plowable storms already....

DSCN3261.JPG

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Nailhead A-V8 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  13. bct

bct

29 was 6 cyl. 28 was 4 but built longer to anticipate the six . You can tell from the long front cross so that they could put the 4 in

rtomss likes this.
  14. rtomss

rtomss

For reference here's a pic. of the 31'/32' frame we started with for my 32' Sedan. 32' Chevy Frame.2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    Tooth and Countn'Carbs like this.
  15. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

I have a lead on a 29 frame, thanks for your offer and I will keep it in mind. Thanks

16. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

I have not seen it yet, I should know tomorrow how much he wants for it and I'll go take a look at it it's not far from here. I know 31 and 32 truck and car are the same. I think there's some measurements for 31 Chevy somewhere in the hamb. Thanks!

17. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

so the cut frame is '28... and full length is a '30-'31... is that right ? DSCN3260.JPG DSCN3265.JPG

18. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

I guess you could measure the hood on a 29 and the hood on a 30-31. That would tell you if there's a frame length difference!

19. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

You know I can't tell you how much I appreciate the offers that everyone is giving me, I really do appreciate all of the input. I got my rodders journal today and it is about a 31 Chevy build. And I got this information from a HAMBer. All you guys ROCK!!!

Attached Files:

rtomss likes this.
  20. rtomss

rtomss

Great issue...

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. bct

bct

I believe your cut frame is newer than the full frame . I do not think it is 1928 . not like the two 4 cyl. 28 frames I have. they are closer in appearance to your full frame.

22. bct

bct

plus the crossmember at the tailshaft area of your cut frame dates it later. late 20s chev frames had the tailshaft hanging in the breeze and it started to cause them trouble.

23. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

as one of henry's boys, I never looked into the bowtie stuff... took 'em in trade.
    thank you !

bct likes this.
  24. paul55

paul55
    from michigan

The uncut frame is a '31 and the other is earlier.

Tooth likes this.
  25. rtomss

rtomss

Agree....I'd hold out for a 31' frame.

26. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Check out a car called "Mr. Stitches"....use the '29 frame and stock parallel leaves for the gasser look but go with Ford crossmembers/transverse spring suspension if you want it low and a 302 Jimmy or a 261 Jobmaster for power...if V8 then a nailhead, olds, cad, or pontiac... pls try to ignore the sbc crew when they crawl out of the woodwork;)...

27. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

I had a 57 Buick special that had a nail head in it and I should have kept the motor out of it when I sold it. There's a guy about 4 hours from me who has a 29 2 door sedan frame he wants $100 for it but the frame rails on 137 in long and on 31 32 Factory frame is 151 and a quarter long frame rail. There's a lot to think about I like the 6-cylinder idea though. Did you know that Don Garlits used a 31 Chevy frame for the swamp rat configurations on all of them? Thanks for the information in the ideas I appreciate it!

31chevymike and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  28. Tooth

Tooth
    from Missouri

The cool thing is I've been offered several different 31 frames for free I just have to go get them, maybe I need to take a vacation! I definitely need to figure out a plan I do like the parallel leaf spring idea. The cars handle better and ride a little bit better just harder to find some parts but the 54 Chevy front end stuff works and the steering box and all that so? I happen to have a 54 Chevy pickup.

29. mlagusis

mlagusis

Glad you got that issue. It has helped me big time. Got grab one of those 31 frames!

I need to start a build thread for my 31. I am using the rear spring and mounts from a 52 Chevy truck. I am using the front spring, steering box/column and axle/brakes for the front end from the same 52 Chevy truck, I found a guy here who put a mustang 2 front end and got that parts pretty cheap. I tweaked a few things though to get the car to sit where I want it. Hopefully I can take time in the next week or two to start the thread. I will let you know when I do. I plan to use all Chevy parts

Countn'Carbs and Tooth like this.
  30. mlagusis

mlagusis

While searching for parts, if you stumble across a set of 31 doors (sedan or coupe) please let me know. I need a set for my build.

Tooth and saltflats like this.