Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Had enough of automatic trans

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Nov 29, 2018.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Burnt up the forward clutches in the rebuilt C-4 thats in my sunliner on the trip to Florida and the rebuilt C-6 I put in the F100 along with the rebuilt 460 could never be gotten to shift right so it might be manual trans from here on,I can put a new clutch in on a motel parking lot much easier then going through a automatic trans. I never had good luck with rebuilt engines and trans where I can take used and get many more miles out of them,that rebuilt 460 had a serious vibration so it got replaced with a 100,000 plus mile 351 that runs great and the C-6 from the parts truck shifts so much better then that rebuilt one so the sunliner might get a used C-4 if I do not go with a 3 speed. I am going to be building a new long distance old car soon and it will have a manual trans.

jvo, F&J, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

3. I love the 5 speed in the wagon. HRP

mikhett and Deuces like this.
  4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I do have a 4 speed that can go in but not really wanting to a cut hole in the floor.

Johnny Gee likes this.

5. junkman8888

junkman8888

I think you just found out why I've always rebuilt my own transmissions and engines. I've rebuilt several automatics and they all worked great so if I can do it you can do it. All you need is a book that covers the rebuild process step-by-step, and of course there's tons of info on the internet. I do admit a good running junkyard transmission makes a better core than one that was trashed.

Chucky, classiccarjack and loudbang like this.
  6. deucemac

deucemac

I have been rebuilding automatic and manual transmissions, both professionally and personally for many years. If you have good mechanical skills and patience, you can build any of them yourself. In most large cities there will be at least one transmission parts warehouse. You can order your kits, parts, and detailed books written just for your application. In some cases special tools may be necessary. Study the overhaul book to find what tools you may need and study the book and learn which you really don't need or you can fabricate yourself. Go slow and be methodical. With automatics especially, cleanliness is really next to godliness! A friend or acquaintance with experience always is a help. I spent 15 years teaching automatic transmission rebuilding. I used to tell the students that I taught my 8 year old (now 30) to rebuild transmissions. They all said he must be a genius. He is smart but not a genius. But since he never saw an automatic trans before and to him it was just something new to learn. Unlike all of us that have seen an illustrated parts breakdown and been scared out of our minds and just KNOW it is hard! It can go do be by you, like I said before slow and methodical. Good luck

j-jock, jnaki, jazz1 and 2 others like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

That's one way to fix them.... :)

Go with what you know.

bobss396, F&J and mcsfabrication like this.
  8. BJR

BJR

Sounds like you need to find a much better auto transmission rebuilder. I have never had problems with rebuilt transmissions. But I have used guys that did it for a living at one of the major transmission rebuilders who did it out of their garage nights for beer money.

48fordnut, jazz1 and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  9. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

I have rebuilt a few auto's in my younger days, that never worked out. I'm sure at that time it was my lack of knowledge, but it hasn't changed my opinion of them, I still hate them. If a 3,4,or5 spd is bad you know it, a auto you just don't know. I will stick with sticks in mine, but would like to try to rebuild one again since im smarter now.
    Tony

10. boltupal

boltupal
    from western ny

Automatic Transmissons like Astro Turf are a Communist plot.

11. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The guy that rebuilt the C-4 has a good reputation so I was wondering if its a parts failure,the 460 and C-6 that I had in the F100 were from Jasper.

12. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So, when you installed your rebuilt transmission, did you flush the oil cooler or better yet did you replace it?

sunbeam and mad mikey like this.
  13. I went 4-speed in my car and like it a lot. I wasn't up to possibly messing with a pristine floor pan so I opted out of the 5-speed option. Maybe down the road. I could do another aftermarket 4-speed with a lower 1st gear and pop the 3.56 rear back in to give it longer legs. With the hydraulic clutch it drives and shifts well. I had someone go through it after I broke the cluster gear and input gear back in May.

14. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Both the C-4 and C-6 are virtually bulletproof transmission. Who ever built them had to have made large mistakes on them, as they should last the life of the vehicles they went into. I built transmissions for years professionaly and yes they can be touchy but if things are kept clean you shouldn't have problems with them. A clean trans cooler is a must. Fine metal particles will kill a rebuilt unit very quickly

48fordnut and mad mikey like this.
  15. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

The C4 in my RV (hard working trans..) lost high. Never done an auto so a friend helped, the kit was $75 I think from Napa, and we had it done in a morning.

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  16. I understand,the wagon really didn't have a floor. HRP

17. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Automatics are for girls......

18. You don't need a Hole in your Floor to run a 4 Speed. The factory 1955 stick overdrive parts will work just fine if you can think for yourself and not just follow directions. And, I agree with BJR in that you just really need a better Automatic shop.
    The Wizzard

48fordnut likes this.
  19. oldsfrench

oldsfrench
    from France

here in france, most old cars are manual gearbox....
    my first automatic is the 1596 olds 98 ( avatar) with jetaway
    and i really like it...
    but i never want to open this trans....
    manual trans are easyer to work with..

Sandgroper likes this.
  20. RmK57

RmK57

I'd be interested to find out about the vibration in the 460. they came internal / external balance so if you use the wrong crank spacer you would get a noticeable vibration.

As far c-6's I've been abusing mine for 3-4 years now with just an r-code servo, shift kit and a large plate style oil cooler and the oil is still relatively clean .

21. lowrd

lowrd

In defense of manual tranny's, children conceived in cars with automatics are liable to grow up shiftless!

22. Jeff, I believe you said that the C4 malfunction was due to the kick down cable coming loose somehow, and being partially depressed , causing it to go in and out of 3rd. I can't see how anyone can fault the trans. builder there.

Also, I think you're listening to too many all at once and trying to absorb too much and becoming confused. Again, you didn't burn up the forward clutch, if you still have 1st and 2nd.
    In any case, I would guess , if you can change a clutch plate in a parking lot, you can repair a C4 at home on a work bench. U.S. built 3 speeds aren't all that tricky, and can be fixed with mostly common , hand tools.

I like stick shift hot rods and race cars, myself. If that's what you'll be happy with, by all means , go for it.
    I just wouldn't condemn all automatics or builders, because of a little run of bad luck . I'll bet you've driven millions of miles with an automatic trans under you , correct?

I'd suggest you jump right in and fix that C4 yourself. You'll be able to get plenty of help right here on the HAMB.

48fordnut and deucemac like this.
  23. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Automatic transmission are all about the quality of parts and especially the quality of the technician.
    The transmission went out on my wife’s OT truck at 80,000 miles. I ask my friend to help me rebuild it as he had 30+ years of building automatic transmissions, building only, not R &R ing . That’s a lot of transmissions.
    I removed it, cleaned the outside, had the two tubs of solvent he requested ready for him... He started disassembling the transmission, throwing parts at me to wash. Before long I had a pile of jumbled clean parts on the bench. For me that would have been the end of this project. But with him, no problem! He just started putting it back together about as fast as he took it apart, asking me to keep handing him parts. I knew he was good, but never knew he was that good. He could also do that with virtually any automatic transmission. We still have that truck with a quarter million miles on it with no transmission problems.
    Don’t blame the transmission, it’s something else, if you have a problem with it, bad parts, bad tech, dirt, bad install, etc. Just my .02

Bones

j-jock, Just Gary, 48fordnut and 5 others like this.
  24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I thought that could be a cause but was told it would only delay the upshift if the kickdown was partially engaged.

25. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The trans it replaced was still working and I think I did blow the lines and cooler out,the previous trans still had good fluid and the new trans has been in for about 15,000 miles and four previous trips to Florida. I wanted a rebuilt trans to eliminate trouble on the road.

26. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

460 is gone and traded it for a built 302.

27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

To bad that plan didn't work. :(

28. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Did my wif e's old '79 Diplomat Torqueflite in a day...1 hour out, disassemble, clean, open clutch packs on bench drill press. Mic clutches, (all good) remove servos...WHOOPS! Reverse servo 'O' ring broken, piece missing...1/4"of it...
    Reassemble partial, compressed air check, (per shop manual) finish assembly, replace front and rear seals. Whew!
    Tranny back in car, wife Joey road tests it. Excellent.
    First automatic tranny I've done anything to (besides shift kits and filter replacements) since a young apprentice. (1957-1962)
    Who said I wouldn't need all those special tools bought over the years? LOL
    Besides, I have 5 rollaway boxes...

29. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

For years I have been wanting to take a class on automatic trans at the local community college but they are probably teaching about the newer computer controlled trans where I want to learn about those with modulator valves,after this situation I think I am going to see what they offer and if it will be of some help. My dislike of automatic trans is my lack of ability to repair them,I can fix a manual trans and replace clutches but my knowledge of automatics is very limited.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  30. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Get online and find yourself an ATSG manual for your transmission.

gimpyshotrods and deucemac like this.