Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Winter Driving

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by spillaneswillys, Nov 26, 2018.

1. I don't mind the rain, and I like to drive in the snow, but the 32's won't be out until the salt is gone. The crap they use here in Connecticut will eat through anything and they are not afraid of using more than is needed.:mad:

Deuces and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  2. I drive them mostly all year round. Winter is fairly mild here in old Virginia. But I don't drive'em when the roads are wet. One reason, I run slicks sometimes. So I'll just watch the Doppler radar. I have heat and A/C, except in the U.F.O. I don't mind buying gas, if it's going in one of the Hot Rods. Lol If there's salt or gravel on the road, I'll wait until it's blown away. Ron... 20181123_142027.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Toms Dogs, mgtstumpy, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

We usually get one or two snows a year, but I don't get out in them unless I have to, folks down here don't know how to drive on snow! 33 years in a semi has taught me how to handle the snows we get here, it's everybody else I have to look out for. They don't use much brine or salt here, mainly on bridges near or in the larger towns, out here in the rural areas we are lucky if they throw some sand on the bridges.
    When my car was running, I drove it during some cold weather without a heater, just bundle up with warm clothes, wasn't too bad, but I didn't go far. When it goes back out again, it will have heat and defrost. Hard to drive and wipe glass at the same time, lol.

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  4. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

mgtstumpy, Deuces, b-bop and 6 others like this.
  5. 20181117_173056.jpg This is about as close to winter driving any of my toys will ever see!
    Waiting patiently for me to finish sheeting & heating the shop.
    Just about time to drag the old girl back in.
    Just have to build some shelves & paint.

Toms Dogs, mgtstumpy, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  6. dwollam

dwollam

I drove my avatar tonight, got a few sprinkles on the windshield, cloudy and cold. I drive my cars on the salt at Bonneville so a little rain or snow is not gonna hurt 'em!

Dave

7. Never....once the salt trucks start running in front of my house...they are parked until probably April...the amount of money that is spent on projects these days...not worth it...I do start them up and let idle for like 15 minutes but that is it...

MikeC

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. dwollam

dwollam

Guess my little drive was timely. It snowed late last night! Not much though, pretty well melted off now.

Dave

9. Latigo

Latigo

IMG_1717.JPG This 54 was my year 'round daily driver for about 15 years in Colorado, Montana and Oregon. Great for busting through snow drifts. The Oregon coast wet winters were harder on it then the mountain snows. Sold it when it lost garage space to another project.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    SuperKONR, mgtstumpy, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  10. Supposed to be 60 here on Sunday. With sun! I could hear the snow melting the last couple of days and the 34 Dodge sitting in the garage moaning.

chryslerfan55 and upspirate like this.
  11. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

every year go to tree farm. good or bad weather. this year was mild and no snow.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy, Deuces, F&J and 2 others like this.
  12. thekid1950

thekid1950

I live in Central NY
    One of my cars is a "rain car".
    I use it whenever I want except winter.
    Driven 25 years in the rain....parked outside except winter

It really surprised me....the only rust was lower front fenders behind the wheels
    50 shoebox 4door.....justified it since a 4 door.
    My kids have the greatest memories in that car.....even let them stand on the seats
    My better cars not so many memories (woodies, coupes, suburbans etc)

Moral of the story....don't worry about your tin box....use the hell out of it.
    After all, we're just here for the experiences of life and family.

I hate to put my babys to bed for the winter
    I'm starting to think of using my rain car year round.

chryslerfan55 and F&J like this.
  13. Phil P

Phil P
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I drove my OT 51 Jeep through a couple of winters not daly but weekly and when I went to sell it I was surprised how much the under body had deteriorated even though there's not a lot of spots in a Jeep tub for salt to hide in. Phil

Truck64 likes this.
  14. No way.....I drive for a living and if you saw all the no-driving idiots I see trying to drive in the snow, you wouldnt' drive your hot rod either. After we get a big spring rain after the last of the salt spreading, I'll cautiously drive around a bit.
    Besides. Winter is time to tear the car down for repairs/updates/improvements.

15. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

I worked with a guy here in the Rockies, who was originally from Weirton, WV. He started driving in the late '60's, in '55-'57 Chevys exclusively. He has a '57 BelAir 2 door sedan that he drives year round, everywhere. It was always cool to see him driving to the rig in it year round, and a drilling rig can be miles from pavement.

SuperKONR and chryslerfan55 like this.
  16. F&J

F&J

Do it..my 32 is my daily again. I have not driven it in 24 hours as it's in the shop now for heater repairs...and I miss it already. It will be back on the road tomorrow for sure..

I finally found my old pics of January 2018. We had heating oil delivered at 5am the day of the so called "Up to 3 feet blizzard" coming...so around 10am, I'm feeling frisky..... I decide to go pay the bill in person. :) Hmmmn, take the doodlebug out back through the outback? Stay off the roads as I had an expired drivers license. lol
    100_2378.JPG
    ^^ There it is...it started right up! ...so, off I go..
    100_2379.JPG
    ^^^ this is out back of my big shop, I need to go down a steep embankment and all the way around to the left of that cleared lot that is fenced in.
    100_2381.JPG
    ^^^ well I made a side hilling trip to the right up that hill. I was hoping it did not slide sideways down into the fencing. ^^ That's the back end of my shop up top there in the center. At this point, I knew it was snowing so hard, I'd never make it back up to get home...so I must keep going.
    100_2382.JPG
    ^^ This narrow strip was almost too skinny and a slight grade to the left... I floored it, as the snow was deep here..

100_2394.JPG
    ^^ "I lost it", fishtailed and got a front hubcap stuck in the chainlink fence...ooops...I got lucky to be able to pull the links off the cap and keep going..

100_2390.JPG
    ^^^ finally made it to the back of the oil company, but had to pull this hill. It's steeper than it looks here. I had to keep it floored to keep the momentum going..
    100_2395.JPG
    ^^^ just as I made the front corner of their building, the thing overheated and blew it's cork as my fan belt made of rope, was slipping at high rpms up the hill.. I walk in and ask the girl if I can leave it till after the storm...She said yes, but it might get plowed in. ....but after it cooled down, I figured that if we do get 3 feet, I'd have to dig out my car trailer, and pick it up the bug after digging it out too..

100_2396.JPG
    ^^^ well...no cars on the road, as the State Highway trucks were no where to be seen... I drove it home...Only one private plow truck went past me from the other direction...he stuck his raised fist out the window LMAO..
    100_2399.JPG
    100_2401.JPG
    ^^^ pulled right up to my back door.. I had a blast... Everyone is still a little kid inside, but some won't act on it...

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
  17. jazz1

jazz1

fullsizeoutput_7f.jpeg Not worth the aggravation since no snow tires and too light in the rear. Got OT 4x4 for this weather. I've taken it out when its -30 and dry when I first built but now just park it indoors for hard water fishing season.

mgtstumpy, Deuces and F&J like this.
  18. Shalamo

Shalamo

You built it , Drive it!

F&J likes this.
  19. jimmysweden

jimmysweden
    from sweden

Hua.. Lives in Sweden.. 12768376_922834057831125_6007089801871778352_o.jpg 387627_113772555403950_671560737_n.jpg 11935577_836907926423739_450598162818956062_o.jpg 11908922_836907773090421_4006286222428322782_o.jpg

20. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

21. jimmysweden

jimmysweden
    from sweden

Same here..

F&J likes this.
  22. verno30

verno30
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, I love this car..................

[[​IMG]

23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Same here, V30. The driver is pretty cool too...lol.
    Frank, that was a blast.

F&J likes this.
  24. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I took mine to the license bureau this morning. Snow and ice. My 26 T coupe is my daily driver. No bullshit. It is comfortable. Great heater. Great windshield wipers. Radio. What more could you want. Club guys think I'm nuts. The only days I don't drive it is if the 4" dropped front axle is pushing snow. Doesn't happen around here very often and I'm probably not going anywhere anyway.
    I sandblasted this car before the build. Epoxy primered, 3 coats of good acrylic enamel. Stainless fasteners everywhere. Undersides of fenders rhino-lined. I have done everything possible to ward off rust. Now I am going to drive it, everywhere. I am 68 years old. How long does it have to last. This car should last until my expiration date, anyway. My son wants my slightly OT, big motored fenderless 27 T roadster, but the first thing he'll do with the '26 is sell it. And I don't give a damn about the next guy, I'm going to get the goody out of this car, myself. It's way cheaper to own and drive than a newer or new truck. No depreciation. Cheaper insurance and taxes. No payments. Don't have to take it to a dealer to have all that electrical bullshit and computer fuck-ups fixed, etc., etc., etc. I built it, so I can fix anything on it. I can work on it a whole lot for a $500/ month truck payment.
    I'm retired so no daily commute anymore, I have averaged 5000 miles per year in this car for 4 years now. It would be more, but I do still put a lot of miles on my roadster in the summer.
    I build 'em to drive, not sit in the garage to look at.

Attached Files:

mgtstumpy, mkebaird, mnjeff and 8 others like this.
  25. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

You win!

Deuces and F&J like this.
  26. jimmysweden

jimmysweden
    from sweden

Found some more winter pictures. August 5year drives the roadster in the snowy streets. We live countryside.. 1557738_512826372165231_2081951409_n.jpg 1514994_513776802070188_331020238_n.jpg 10982810_927997547314776_1231243033472498170_o.jpg

mgtstumpy, mkebaird, Lil32 and 8 others like this.
  27. 17191442_1414506005278886_3616198913678462640_n.jpeg

I used to be brave and drive my special cars in winter, thinking that my ritual of a thorough undercar washing and long rinse would keep them relatively safe.
    It took a few years to discover that people were badly misinformed when they said undercarriage washes were the answer.
    The thoroughly washed AND unwashed salt cars still crumbled at a far faster rate than the no-salt cars did.
    After much damage that I was told wouldn't happen, I now will not drive anything other than a "sacrificial car" during below-freezing temperatures when the salt brine stripes show up on the roadway for frost prevention.

WHY BE ORDINARY ?

Ron Funkhouser and F&J like this.
  28. F&J

F&J

Well, it was watching you build your emerald green 32 with all the white details, that kept me going on mine, when i'd hit a low point in my dragged out build. No lie. That car struck up my early childhood memories of "late 50s Autorama cars"

nope, you win...your T gets more miles per year..but the real reason "you win" is you just wrote exactly how I feel, every time I take it out...like again today..

Your Quote that all should consider:
    "Now I am going to drive it, everywhere. I am 68 years old. How long does it have to last. This car should last until my expiration date, anyway. My son wants my slightly OT, big motored fenderless 27 T roadster, but the first thing he'll do with the '26 is sell it. And I don't give a damn about the next guy, I'm going to get the goody out of this car, myself. It's way cheaper to own and drive than a newer or new truck. No depreciation. Cheaper insurance and taxes. No payments. Don't have to take it to a dealer to have all that electrical bullshit and computer fuck-ups fixed, etc., etc., etc. I built it, so I can fix anything on it. I can work on it a whole lot for a $500/ month truck payment." End Quote

I'm turning 67 on New Years eve...so that, and me getting better each month from Lyme disease in the head... Your words mean a lot. I wish all could not wait so long to try what you and I do. They are missing out on so many things that we experience every day.

My son in an email yesterday, asked about the car radiator issues, and later wrote he'd like to borrow it at times next year. I replied... "take it out whenever you want!".

On my errands trip today, I was thinking...I wish I had TWO so he could keep one at his place that is only 5 minutes away. My point is that a car should be "right there, & always ready" as you decide to go somewhere...then it will get used tons more....compared to him calling me to see if it is here, or out on the road.

If I could somehow pull off getting the 34 LaS drivable, he'd end up with the 32 permanently. I could always borrow it, right? I did not ever plan for him to wait for my demise to use the heck out of it.

Thanks for your thoughts here....peace..

29. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Thanks F&J. I feel like a winner every time I drive it. And yeah. They don't know what they are missing.
    You know I drive my T so much, every once in a while I will see someone staring and think "What in the fuck are you looking at?" Then I realize what I am driving.

30. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yaaaaaaaaay F&J and jaw22w !!!
    That's what I'm talkin' about! At some point, you realize that it's all just stuff...and the most important part is the experience...your personal experience and experiences with other people.
    Just as they say..."Ya can't take it with you."
    But I think maybe we can take our experiences with us...especially the shared ones.
    That's why I recently got my '53 Chrysler. I'm back to working on something, and I'm gonna have a ball driving it.
    Granted...late model pos will be used for longer distances and really nasty weather if needed. But I'm gonna drive this old Chrysler as much as I can around here where I live. I'm gonna add some ambiance to our little town of Yale, Michigan and the 3-4 other little towns in this area...and share some smiles.
    I wish it was running for Christmas...so I could throw on some Christmas lights and cruise town...lol. Next year.

F&J likes this.