Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Details that you're kinda weird about.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NAES, Nov 26, 2018.

1. I've spent years getting my hardware right with either parkerizing or black oxide treatment...

Attached Files:

2. NAES

NAES

Wideglide that is awesome looking!

Is this something you're doing at home and can share in a tech post?

I only know parkerizing from gun stuff.

NAES

lothiandon1940 and loudbang like this.
  3. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Having gone to so many car shows from the early teenage years, one picks up on what looks good, is uniform and not out of place. Sometimes there is something that is shown that looks odd in the display. Other times, it is from your thoughts on what a finished hot rod should look like. But, it is in the eye of the beholder…owner/builder or photojournalist.
    upload_2018-12-31_3-44-53.png
    On our 1958 black Impala, imperfections or stuff just shows up on black paint, so that was the first thing that I took care of daily. Then it was the wheels, even when they were black. But the Skylark wires took extra time to make sure there were no odd ball things caught in the spokes or marks on the rims. One day in high school, I polished some Allen head bolts and that got me started on wanting to replace all of my engine compartment bolts to shiny Allen heads.
    upload_2018-12-31_3-45-33.png

Jnaki

The one thing besides being a super quality build and show car, was the detailing of our friend, Atts Ono’s 1940 Willys build. Allen heads on Atts Ono’s motor compartment and build, stood out. That took time and patience, while creating a market for a drill bit that used the correct fitting Allen wrench in a short stub for access to those cool heads. A homemade cut off “L” bend into a straight Allen head solved the problem of constantly inserting and replacing those unique heads. Of course, the Allen head “L” bend came in handy when the final sequence was needed.
    upload_2018-12-31_3-46-19.png

One last thing for this BRAIN organization thread is not using a separate odd ball, looking locks on the 5th bolt of our American Racing Equipment 5 spoke racing mag wheels. It just looked odd. So they became garage drawer space, dust catchers. Uniformity in action…

4. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I'm with the OP on this little stuff. I point screws and even clamps too match when I can. Very few take note of this stuff,yet it makes me smile extra when seeing it on boats an cars.
    In the late 1950s,right on tell now,my low buck way of adding shine was too polish and add detail too the simple parts with shiny bolts or screws. At first I did stuff in a drill,an later got a old used lathe. Seeing a bolt too long,too many washers etc. is a bug also. This pic shows some allanhead stainless steel,I mod. by smoothing off finger nerule and then adding 3 design groves. Call it running out of things to do,with out blowing any $. They hold down my home made log 4x2 intake. 002 (3).JPG

Attached Files:

• 022.JPG
      022.JPG
      File size:
      223.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2019