Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best Chassis Paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dylan Pelton, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Dylan Pelton

Dylan Pelton

I'm looking for a chassis paint for an off topic project, but i want it to be the best of the best. I have used a lot of products in the past that I have been disappointed with, and didn't hold up very long. I know powder coat would be the best choice but the chassis is going to get body worked so that is out of the question. I'm looking for satin or chassis black that can be sprayed. Any suggestion, or any products to stay away from?

2. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Check with your powder coater , I believe there is a filler available to be coated over.

3. bubba55

bubba55

Rustoleum black that I got at hardware / Lowes - cut it with 10% mineral spirits - sprays great - used it on my '38 chevy twuck and '30 A frames - no complaints

31hotrodguy likes this.
  4. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

X2

31hotrodguy likes this.

5. SPI Epoxy.

metlmunchr likes this.
  6. oldolds

oldolds

Rustoleum works fine for that. There is a regular chassis paint that is used on most OT cars from factory. Kind of thick rubbery. If you are doing something that needs to be correct.

7. Dylan Pelton

Dylan Pelton

I'll check out the SPI as I'd like to use a higher quality product. It doesn't need to look factory correct just a nice smooth satin black.

8. earlymopar

earlymopar

9. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

10. whiteknuckle

whiteknuckle
    from Dryden, NY

Check out PPG Delfleet Essential. I have used is numerous times in automotive and motorcycle chassis application. Flows out great and is highly durable. It is high gloss but I would assume it could be used with the PPG SLV4985 flattener to get the desired gloss level.

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Up here we have Tremxlad which Ithi k is the same as Rustoleum. 75% flat and 25% gloss will give exactly what you want. How the right look and very durable.

trollst likes this.
  12. Dylan Pelton

Dylan Pelton

I have seen that stuff before, seems pretty good. have you used it personally?

13. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I have used hirsch engine paint several times, just ordered a quart of chassis paint sprayed my banjo rear end with fair results. Thing that Erks me is hirsch bends you over on there shipping.

14. earlymopar

earlymopar

Yes, both engine and frame paint. Rocket is correct however, their shipping costs are higher than they should be.
    - EM

15. SPI is FREE freight by the way.

16. 64-classic660

64-classic660

From my experience with paint, I’d go with a flat paint Rusto works great. Prep the surface with mineral spirits cut with thinner. Use a clear coat for desired gloss level. Could probably get away just using rattle cans for the clear.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

You need the toughest paint you can get for a chassis. First choice would be Imron. Second, Master Series or POR-15 Chassis black (the topcoat stuff, NOT the rust encapsulator)

18. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You didn't say what your doing to the frame before painting. Sandblast???? Chemical dip???? Sanding rough spots only????? What you paint over makes a huge difference.

19. depends on desired result
    a driver thats going to be wire brushed/loose rust scuffed.......use the rustoleum/tractor supply stuff
    if its getting blasted, PPG has an industrial epoxy and a semigloss that looks great and doesnt hurt the wallet

clem likes this.
  20. brady1929

brady1929

Great info here, thanks.

21. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, you guys stick Chevy motors in your fords, might as well make 'em feel at home!
    upload_2018-11-29_20-54-27.png
    Seriously, this is great stuff and the matte finish is perfect.

Tickety Boo and waxhead like this.