Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Damn I need a heater......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trollst, Oct 13, 2018.

1. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

40,000 BTU heater, are you sure?

Black_Sheep and jazz1 like this.
  2. jazz1

jazz1

I know Summit has one rated at 28,000 BTU, so 40,000 not out of the realm of possibilities. He being in Minnesota would want the biggest baddest heater:D

Black_Sheep likes this.
  3. I was out last night in the '59 Ford and it was around 40, of course wearing no jacket. The heater had to fight against no driver door gasket, will install tomorrow and the rear package shelf is open, that lets in lots of cold. Little things add up. Also the car has an air-gap intake making it cold blooded even warmed up.

4. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

A car heater does not create heat but merely transfers heat from the engine coolant. There is a direct correlation between the coolant temperature and the heat transfered to the cab of the vehicle. That is why some people put cardboard in front of a radiator in the winter to create more heat as opposed to putting in a bigger heater.:)

verde742 and 57 Fargo like this.
  5. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Today was 30 degrees going to work at 5:30 AM. Windshield, no other windows, no top.

I have all the glass, most of the regulator stuff so this winter we will have glass.

I thought of heat, something to just toss off warmth on the glass and float around in the car, we’ll see.

Cliff Ramsdell

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    F&J likes this.
  6. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  7. F&J

F&J

<I just got home at dark with mine...it's darn cold out there...My heater is plumbed wrong on the engine, it won't self bleed so I need to fix it very soon.

AHotRod and Cliff Ramsdell like this.
  8. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

I know my winters down here in texas are not anywhere near what the folks up north get.... but I think still driving it in below freezing without heat still counts....

I can damn sure put more clothes on, but there is a limit to how far I can strip down...

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Thats why they make A/C/Heat/Defrost units.

AHotRod likes this.
  10. This is a compact heater made by T7 Design here in the United Kingdom. It's a 2.5 kilowatt water heater - not electric. Going into my 27 Modified IMG_20181128_124503618.jpeg

Sent from my moto g(6) play using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

AHotRod likes this.
  11. topher5150

topher5150

I plan on putting in a heater....for the wife

blackjack likes this.
  12. Cold didn't bother me either when I was in my 30's . Different story now I'm 60 and living in the North of England.

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

If it isn't electric, where to the water hoses go? Gary

14. They are 10mm or 3/8ths. Can be swapped to face the other way and the bracket can be clocked to suit IMG_20181128_131006850_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpeg

Fitnessguy, Bam.inc, AHotRod and 2 others like this.
  15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I see. Very cool. Pricey? Gary

16. £90 sterling. They do a 3.5kw with four outlets for defrost and cabin for £115. Still very compact but a little too big for behind a 27T dashboard.

Available from T7 Design or Demon Tweeks. They are used mainly in Sevens and stripped out track day cars over here

gnichols likes this.
  17. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

If means anything, It was 27 when I left this morning in my o/t Mercedes that the blower motor doesn't work in. Right now I have a 100 mile commute, so after 30 miles or so the cold wasn't that bad anymore.

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I have a great heater in my 26 T coupe under the dash, but I still get the windshield fogging up. Have any of you guys come up with a way to defrost the windshield in a T or A?

19. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Thanx, might be going in my 29....

20. I'm a Southerner that hates winter and I realize you guys up North get far more bad weather than we do, I bought a heater to go in my sedan and a friend was building a new car and wanted mine so I let him have it.

Hopefully within the next couple of months Dave will have a chance to install my interior and at that time I will add some creature comforts. HRP

21. Danny look into adding the heated seat pads if your getting the interior done. cheap and hidden heat.

TrailerTrashToo likes this.
  22. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Rain-x makes an anti fog spray that keeps the glass from fogging up, won't do much for freezing.

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lemondana likes this.
  23. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Thanks! I am familiar with RainX, but didn't know they had an anti- fog spray. I'll check it out.

24. Good idea. HRP

25. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Rain X anti fog is good stuff. I'm going to put a heater in my 28 A and fix it so some of that heat hits the windshield.

26. Cut a hole in the firewall by the passenger exhaust, put a rag in it during the summer, careful don't burn the rag up.

27. 47streetrodder

47streetrodder

I had a heater in my 1947 Ford Coupe but took it out because I didn't like how the hoses cluttered things up under the hood.

This year for the Veterans Day Parade in West Richland, the wife and I decided to take the coupe. We were with the Ye Olde Car Club and had 18 cars ranging from a 1928 Chevy Speedster all the way up to late model Camaro. Temperature was right around 25 and there was hint a of snow. At least 3 of us didn't have heaters (speedster, a '28 Model A pickup and my coupe). Left the house at 7:30 AM and for the three hours for the parade organizers to get all the groups lined up and the half hour for the parade, we kept the car idling the whole time. Had just enough heat through the floor board to keep our feet warm, but had to wear heavy coats.

Taking the cars out when it's cold just adds another dimension for enjoying our hobby. Wish there were more winter time events, but with shorter durations, like cruising for coffee.

osage orange likes this.
  28. last November, my son and I took my channeled roadster to Bruce Larson's annual get together. It was about 27 degrees when we left ,and about 34 degrees when we came home. It was about an hour each way. We were the only people there in a roadster. Not bad for a 77 year old man, and his 40 year old son. It was a great father and son time together.

29. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Bunch on eBay from $20.00 up to 85.00.

Deuces likes this.
  30. AHotRod

AHotRod

I'm totally redoing my Model A coupe for the 3rd time in 30+ years, and I bought and installed one of those under dash A/C -Heat units, mostly for the A/C here in Florida, but we get enough chilly-cold nights that the heat will make it comfy because we drive our Hot Rod daily.
    Bought mine on Ebay for $70.00
    IMG_9394.JPG

Deuces likes this.