Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Help a newbie ID a model A auction find, please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by utahdodge, Nov 28, 2018.

1. utahdodge

utahdodge

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I picked up this old Ford at an estate auction in southeastern Idaho last week. It was an online auction only and this was on the last page listed as “model T body”. I couldn’t get away from work to go look at it, but took a chance and the bid went right to my max, but I came away with it. It is surprisingly solid. The doors still open and latch closed. It is missing the deck lid, front clip, windshield frame, and who knows what else. Can you help me figure out which year and exact model name do I can start collecting parts? I never thought I would have one, so I haven’t really made plans. Hopped up 4- banger? I’ll post more pics, what do you need to see in order to tell the year?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Tim, 40LUV, Ron Funkhouser and 2 others like this.
  2. utahdodge

utahdodge

3. utahdodge

utahdodge

4. utahdodge

utahdodge

5. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

30-31 coupe

slv63, Dave Mc and SOHC427 like this.
  6. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Not a 'T' coupe but a 30/31 Ford 'A' coupe. I can't distinguish YOM quirks for positive ID

7. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

8. pkhammer

pkhammer

'30 or '31 Model A Ford Coupe. Both years are virtually the same with exception of some minor details. Parts will pretty much interchange between the two years with a few exceptions.

9. ePretty much your standard 30-31 Model A Coupe. A photo of the Right side of the firewall will tell if it's late 31.
    The Wizzard

10. squirrel

squirrel

We can figure out the exact year, if you can find the frame or transmission :)

luckythirteenagogo likes this.
  11. as said, 30 or "early" 31. rumble seat coupe...........perfect hot rod material.

Stogy likes this.
  12. utahdodge

utahdodge

I knew it wasn’t a “t”. The auction company that was selling it is super lazy when it comes to their listings. I will post a pick of the firewall when I get her unloaded. What am I looking for?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  13. tractorguy

tractorguy

I like that Chevrolet stepside "trailer"......looks pretty solid.....at least on the drivers side.....was that an auction item also ?

14. utahdodge

utahdodge

Yup, everything on the trailer along with a bed full of 2.5 and 5 gallon oil cans were my haul from the auction. I had wanted to make a bench out of the back half of the bed, but it is way too solid to cut up. I’ll find a home for it.

spurgeonforge likes this.
  15. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have been driving my avatar for about 21 years thru 4 states. Hopped up original engine and a 3 speed with overdrive. Bendix brakes with self adjusters

16. tractorguy

tractorguy

Actually, the "super lazy" and/or not car savvy farm auctioneers can be an advantage.......at a farm sale in Wisconsin about 5yrs. ago, the auctioneer listed and described a hayrack full of parts as "Model A and Model T stuff"......turns out it was lots of 32.....33.....34 Ford stuff. I came home with a pristine 32 cowl......a complete "heavy" 32 front axle with all compontents, wishbone and spring.......and a complete 32 rear axle with all attachments !!

17. You need to post a picture of the passenger side of the firewall where the fuel line goes through. It will either look like the first picture or be indented indicating late '31. You also need to post a good picture of where the instrument panel is mounted (second picture with instrument panel mounted) to determine if it is an early '30.

Charlie Stephens

IMG_0106.jpg IMG_0112.jpg

18. Possibly was a Deluxe model with the window winder Eustachian.

19. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

It is a late 30 to early 31 standard coupe (45B)

20. utahdodge

utahdodge

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am as cheap as they come, but will spend money for the right stuff. Does this look like $1200 worth of drivetrain?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. Squablow

Squablow

It very well could be at $1200, I like bangers but I'm a bit mystified by what I'm looking at there. What exactly is that transmission, and how'd they get it on there? "B" motors are kinda the holy grail of Ford flat 4's but you have to be careful, many are mislabeled, the most important piece is the counterweighted crankshaft. Would be nice to know if it was running, or at least turned smooth, would be nice to take the oil pan and head off to inspect. That head looks unusual to my eye, if it's an aftermarket piece it could add a lot of value, depending on what it is.

There is a thread about "bangers", I think there's a new one every month, if you can find the most current one, post pics of it there and get more expert advice. That might be a total turd but it might be an incredible gem, very hard to say with limited pics and info.

22. Squablow

Squablow

Search for "monthly banger meet"