Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods +++Flatbed Hot Rod Shop Trucks+++

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A Boner, Nov 28, 2018.

1. A Boner

A Boner

image.png It seems like they would work out great for a shop truck. It also seems like it would be hard to build one that is aesthetically pleasing. Pete Eastwood pulled it off (WOULD LIKE TO SEE MORE PICS, PETE)! Anyone else? Lots of so called "shop trucks", look like they really don't haul much of anything. Anyone have some functioning shop truck pics they care to share.....flatbed or otherwise?

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Here's a worthy thread subject, fer sure. Gary

3. RidingMechanic

RidingMechanic
    from Cincinnati

That's always been my problem too - anything "cool" is too light duty to haul or two the kind of stuff I need to move. I always needed a 3/4 or 1 ton truck that could run at highway speeds.

This may be my next hauler though...Just bought it from a farm sale up north. N600 Ford with a flatbed dump. Not very practical but would be fun for local work. Only bummer is that its a 6 cylinder, but it runs really smooth.

Always looking for bed pics or ideas if anyone wants to share.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

I always liked the look of those trucks! My friend has a winch truck along those lines, it has the 5 speed overdrive transmission in it. Make for a nice highway truck.

Bones

5. Here's mine. Started out life as a 1926 dodge 4 door sedan in North Dakota. Not much use for hauling big loads but a hell of a lot of fun driving around the farm as a service truck! IMG_20170927_135202057_HDR.jpg

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a cool 40 on another thread. Cant find it, hopefully the owner will post it up.

7. I'll get there someday. This started off as a stakebed, and I sold the bed and sides in the early '80s when I was just scraping by. Regret won't bring it back. I keep grinding away on the hotrod, and probably will do some sort of express bed instead of a flat back. 29 AA June 11  2016.jpg

8. badvolvo

badvolvo

It's a truck that has been accused of being a street rod. It's my wife's truck, I just built it and drive it. The shoebox ranchero is a friends ride. Photo taken in KCMO. IMG_0233.jpg

9. A Boner

A Boner

Haven't seen a Shoebox Ranchero I didn't like.....yet!

10. My '51 COE. Used for work often, I hauled some scrap today actually. Also pulls my car trailer....

DSCN0816.JPG

11. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

If the lift works, I would keep the bed that’s on it. Blast it, paint it, straighten/replace the stake pocket strap. Then make some wooden side boards, similar to the ones on the older delivery flat beds with your company/farm logo on them. Always thought they looked cool.

Bones

czuch and osage orange like this.
  12. ...a couple of my old ones...
    my cars 003.jpg my cars 012.jpg

13. verde742

verde742

[​IMG] did that front bumper require alteration to make it fit that nice?

14. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I'm gonna ask a strange (to some) question here. IF your wife's cab isn't chopped, is it the 'low one' for that year?
    My pal Mark Codd had 2 Chevy cabs, one 'high', the other 'low'. Both were same year, factory originals. I think some Dodge/Plymouths had tall or 'chopped' cabs in there someplace, also. Can you help me?
    Sound looking truck, BTW...and I love the 'Shoe-Chero'!

badvolvo likes this.
  15. I added 11" to the center behind the license plate. The curve was pretty close.

badvolvo likes this.
  16. Did you build the cab?

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

17. Yes. I'm 6'4" and needed some extra legroom.

BigO and Hitchhiker like this.
  18. badvolvo

badvolvo

It is the late 36 lowcab, chopped 2”. The windshield is actually larger than oem, as it no longer has the frame. The earlier 36 had a more squared cab, 3 door hinges and alot more wood holding it together.

RMR&C likes this.
  19. A Boner

A Boner

image.png How about this one! I like the look with the front fenders and running boards, with no rear fenders! Same with Pete's.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2018
  20. krbstr

krbstr

[​IMG]

My ‘37 ford truck that will rock a flatbed. It’s still in the build stages now. But I hope to have it finished for the roundup. [​IMG] this is kind of the look I’m going for. Instead of the fuel tank I’ll have a small tool box mounted at the front of the bed

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i broke in on trucks like that in the '70s. my main beef was the heat from sharing the cab with the engine. a/c is a definite must!

22. It looks really good. Most custom extended cabs don't look right to me in the proportion department. Yours looks perfect.

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

RMR&C likes this.
  23. chopndrop

chopndrop

Ford-Model-A-Pickup-1931-14A9C17021825512.jpeg nat101.jpg

Thought there was a thread on this subject not too long ago, but I can't find it, so here are 2 pictures I've saved.

While on the subject, I have seen both terms flatbed and stakeside used, as if they were different. Is this true? I assumed "flatbeds" all had stake pockets so you can go with or without sides.

24. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

25. bubba55

bubba55

26. 9538847668_8d3fb8bc2a_b.jpg
    Here's mine, from a few years ago, at the HAMB Drags. Since then, the flathead got swapped for a 283, then a 350. Since the 350 swap, in Feb 2018, it's had over 9,000 miles put on it.

27. I'm a simple jeweler but I'd drive that to work and park "Up Front" everyday.

28. You did a great job, love it.
    Great looking truck.

29. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

30. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Love this HAMBERs Chevy
    SEMA-2014-Preview-01-Chevy-gasser-ramp-truck.JPG

Friend's old workhorse
    Daves 30 PU.JPG