Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Rambler Classic 660

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 64-classic660, Nov 17, 2018.

1. 64-classic660

64-classic660

No I didn’t purchase a fly wheel tool and no one had one for rent. Honestly didn’t feel like I’d have much luck with it since I had fabricated a piece of angle iron mounted to the 3 bolts on harmonic and used a floor jack for leverage and no luck other than flexing the engine in the mounts. I couldn’t imagine having much more luck with the fly wheel tool but wouldn’t be the first time I’m wrong. I went to take off the starter but between my fat hands and lack of space for my tools I couldn’t get it removed. Might need to get more creative in the future but at the moment saw no straight forward answers for removal. Not sure how I plan on pulling/unbolting the block from the trans without removing both at the sane time because it seems I’ll have the same clearance issues if not more so than trying to remove the starter. Which means I’ll have to deal with the so called torque tube which no one Seems to speak highly of. Also removing the head doesn’t seem like much fun considering all the original mechanical throttle linkage will prob need to be partially disassembled from the carb.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 64-classic660

64-classic660

Right I feel like I could get into a lot of trouble with one of those sticking it the wrong place!

3. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Take a lot of pictures with your phone, before you take it apart. I will be immensely useful when you go to put back together.

Bones

4. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Did you say get more creative?

[​IMG]

5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Think I would at least see if I could overcome the challenge of getting a starter off before removing a head.
    Im not doubting it may be a pain to get off but I would try that first, It may take a socket, ratchet, extentions and possibly a swivel socket not sure but it can be done....dont know if Ive ever saw a flywheel tool without looking one up but like I said before Ive used a big straight screw driver, or straight tire iron prying between teeth and stable engine or bell housing area to get one to move a little at a time and even vise grips which is the best Ive used to turn a flywheel if its open and accessible to where you can clamp over the sides of the teeth sideways and turn it.

upspirate likes this.
  6. 64-classic660

64-classic660

You could say things are starting to heat up.

7. upspirate

upspirate

Wow !!! Real "Hot Rods" !!!!LOL

64-classic660 likes this.