Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Modifying SBC 1x2 manifold into 3x2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 39 Aaron NZ, Feb 11, 2018.

1. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

I've thought of doing this but never thought of the upper/lower plane problem.

That makes the home made manifold ala Crower U Fab look better. Bruce Crower started in the speed parts business back in the fifties selling kits of precut steel plates and tubes to make your own intake manifold for however many carbs you wanted. They were mainly for racing but you could build one for the street.

It would go something like this

Make a flat plate for the valley cover with the sides bent up to fit against the heads
    Use an intake gasket to mark out the holes. Drill and cut as necessary.
    Make a piece of rectangular tubing, or bend up a box out of steel, to fit in the middle and mount the carbs
    Fit short tubes between the carb box and side plates
    Don't forget the coolant tubes at the front.

For street use you might want to water heat the bottom of the manifold for cold weather.

Here's a Crower U Fab
    upload_2018-3-9_13-17-0.jpeg

Yours might look like this only shorter
    upload_2018-3-9_13-17-58.jpeg

2. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

It is plane to see that you don't get the motivation behind this project. Like most of what we do, it has no bases in logical necessity. It's doing something because you want to do it.

3. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

That is pretty much the plan.
    I got some 3/8" SS plate - for the outer carb mounts and SS tube with the ID matching the Venturi for the carb runners.
    20180310_074826.jpg The front runners will have a dog leg under the center float bowl.
    The rear runners will be straight down.
    20180310_074920.jpg
    20180310_074958.jpg
    And will braze the tubes to the manifold with a TIG using Alui/Bronze filler rod.
    So the center carb will stay in the factory place, the outer carbs will be mounted 6" higher.
    Cheers Aaron .

4. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

Thanks for that! I'm glad to hear that people use to do things like this.
    At this stage I agree with the 'nah say'ers' it's a waste of time to fab something I can buy, so I'll build a custom intake that (I'm my head) could work very well. And be a cool feature on my car.
    Thanks again, cheers Aaron.

26 T Ford RPU likes this.
  5. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

I'd love to see your face if this 'Stepped 3x2' works well and Edelbrook or Offy are launching there version at SEMA in a couple of years...

6. Aaron, I really like what you are setting out to do with this and to all the ''why bother if you can buy one'' folk, give him some credit. Yes we can buy them in NZ, we aren't in the dark ages down here with parts. We have a young Hot Rodder trying something old because he wants to...go for it.:cool::D JW

64 DODGE 440 and 39 Aaron NZ like this.
  7. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

28951043_10211552843287333_2268445264383574016_n.jpg 29133887_10211552845087378_8862207584099106816_n.jpg This is not a suggestion of what you should do instead of what you are doing. But I just think it's so cool that I wanted to post it here. Anyone who wants a triple deuce intake for his classic OHV V8 could do this. And have a cool looking 180 degree intake that would probably work pretty good.

clem, Deuces, biggeorge and 7 others like this.
  8. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

A big step forward this week with the arrival of more Rochesters, from HAMBer Stowe.
    I have been busy trying to get my 39 on the road for a HotRod show in January, so this 'Stepped 3x2' has been on the back burner.
    All going to plan I will find time over the Christmas holidays to braze this together.
    Cheers Aaron.

Attached Files:

26 T Ford RPU and dana barlow like this.
  9. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

P.S. a VERY quick mock up

Attached Files:

10. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

jc whitney and others used to sell a kit for that. maybe only flatheads. also, offenhauser has a kit for the old ford 6 (144 up to 25o) which had a cast-in intake, so your idea may work!

26 T Ford RPU and 39 Aaron NZ like this.
  11. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Now you have carbs,you can better find out how close together you can put them,it's what controls were extra holes cann be. This one was a 2bbl Intake for a Ford Y,made into 3x2s,by brazzing the bottoms of two old carbs upside down on the end spots. In the passed I cut a Y 2bbl intake into a supercharger intake .
    But the amount of work to do it,is fairly close to same as building a log intake. I enjoyed doing Log Intakes,I still run 4x2 log that I made by cutting up a driveshaft.
    HomeMade3x2carbBaseCutbrazzedonUpdidedown.jpg 001 (4).JPG

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  12. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

I really think it will, with a progressive linkage it should have all the benefits of a dual plane at low RPM using the center carb, the the performance of a tunnel ram at high RPM (when the flow rate is greater)
    After getting (wisely) talked out of putting my time and effort into fabricating an off the shelf manifold,
    I thought how I could make it better, with having a more direct flow (not having the outer carbs outside the ports of the heads)
    And increasing runner flow velocity.
    Really just mashing 2 tried and tested manifolds together. The Chevy duel plane and this sample photo.
    I'll let you all know how it goes.
    Cheers Aaron.

Attached Files:

13. atch

atch

Aaron,

I had never seen your post before today. I've read all the way through it and applaud your moxie.

I'll be watching for updates and wish you the best with this project.

What Rich said in post #62 are my thoughts exactly.

39 Aaron NZ likes this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If you are doing this just to be doing it, wouldn't looks come into play at some point?

6-bangertim likes this.
  15. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

Sort of... I quite like the look of it already tho
    But most of all I would like it to work!

16. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

No one asked for the crazy geezer idea, but here it is. Many years ago in a famous road racers shop I saw an intake made out of fiberglass, yes thats right, the same shit you'd use for a Corvette or a surf board, theirs was built to mount Webers but the concept would work for anything, the car was on a dyno running and the intake only had to last long enough to prove the design, they then took the intake cut it in half, took it to a small foundry and had the pieces cast in aluminum, then the two pieces were welded together. In that scenario if you make one you could make twenty or more.

17. atch

atch

b-t-w; SamIyam made a 2x2 manifold in a similar fashion. Pic below. If you do some searching you might find a post on how he made it. It's been about 15 years, though, so it might be lost.

edit: I found these words of wisdom by Sam (in this post):

It started life as an Weiand X-celerator SBC single 4v, open plenum intake.

I had a buddy CNC mill an adaptor for the two-two's out of a hunk of aluminum.

I milled the 4 barrel part off... cut down some of the walls on the inside... and then fit the adaptor to it.

Then had a buddy weld it on.

After that, I spent some more time grinding down the outside and blasting it all with sand to get the cast effect... a total of 20+ hours was spent building the thing... and that is not counting the $200 I spent to have the block of aluminum milled.

One of these days... I'm going to do a how-to on it...
    Sam.

So it may be that Sam never did an actual how-to post.
    rrmtr-1.jpg

18. Good to see you still at it with this and what show are you going to in January? JW

Deuces and 39 Aaron NZ like this.
  19. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

Hi JW, I spent a couple of months looking for early Rochesters in NZ with no luck, so found Stowe on HAMB, who was really helpful, and I got them on a boat from USA. That took 6 weeks... time soon disappears.
    I am getting ready for Kumeu Car Show in Auckland, a mate painted my car a couple of weeks ago, now fitting all the boxes of parts, back on for the final time and need to get a windscreen cut before people shut down for Christmas.
    Between kids, work and my car its very busy times!
    Cheers Aaron.

20. IMG_9193.JPG
    Fiberglass prototype of the Edelbrock TM-1. I would recommend this plan. After all that's pretty much how it was done for years at Edelbrock. Probably easier in the long run and end result will probably be better looking. In my book, even more impressive because it will be less likely to suffer from the distribution problems mentioned. Save up some beer cans and get some from buddies. Junk aluminum wheels. Break them down and melt into ingots to use for the cast. You could use the iron intake as a starting point for the prototype. Lots of resources are available online for casting aluminum at home. Do it right and you will only be out the cost for the 'glass, welding and machining. May be cheaper than you think. Of course if you can do it yourself or horse trade you may not be out anything more than the fiberglass.

39 Aaron NZ likes this.
  21. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

Thats stupid, that won't work, how many times have I heard that? heres another intake solution for a mercedes benz v8, the point being theres more than one way to skin a cat, however dynamite doesn't work very well.

Attached Files:

39 Aaron NZ likes this.
  22. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

Hi, an alui casting would be awesome, or a Finnish of "Sam's" 2x2 that Atch showed us, eventually that would be a great (and would fix the aesthetic's that SaltFlats mentioned!)
    But at this stage I will stick with iron and brazing, if/once I can get it running well, I could look into it.
    Thanks Aaron.

indestructableforce likes this.
  23. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

This is like Rusty's suggestion in #61 of the 'Crower U Fab', or with fitting more carbs, a version of a log intake that Dana built in #71, they look good, but not what I'm after.
    Thanks Aaron.

24. I never did a "How To" on it... but it was pretty easy to do. Aluminum being easier to weld and manipulate than cast iron, that would be my first choice... second choice would be cutting up a cast iron intake or three...

I will say, if you get it built... it'll be different, fore sure! Maybe even as cool or cooler than the original Sam-O-Ram concept that rivaled Harlan's home made intake...

Sam

kidcampbell71 and 39 Aaron NZ like this.
  25. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

Wow, welcome Sam.
    Thanks, mine will definitely be different!
    I really like that you blasted your manifold for a smooth cast look!
    And the Sam-O-Ram is a great play on Port-O-Sonic!
    Cheers Aaron.

6-bangertim likes this.
  26. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Two Rottenchesters on a cross fire intake with a plat top plate , There was not enough room for three carbs in a line, two much linkage work for four staggered carbs.Best of luck buick083kv7.jpg crossfirevh2.jpg buick083kv7.jpg

27. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

There is room for 4. ;)

XXL__ and 39 Aaron NZ like this.
  28. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

Hi Joe, thanks for showing me that, Brigrat mentioned that in #35, but it's great to see the finished product!
    However I am keen to find out if I can make the duel plane idea work.
    Cheers Aaron.

29. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I built this one, ran it on my 360 inch small block chevy.
    Sold it at a swap meet, then found it on this truck at a car show.
    20151017_131012 (1).jpg

30. 39 Aaron NZ

39 Aaron NZ

So SaltFlats, there really is room for 4!
    Thats a serious throttle linkage! (So is his steering!)
    Thanks for the photo!
    Cheers Aaron.

saltflats likes this.