Register now to get rid of these ads!

whats this "York" thing all about next weekend??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by caffeine, May 26, 2006.

1. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

anyone have details. ive never been, probably wont be able to find a place to sleep etc. but if i can swing it i might try.

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

3. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

just curious if its worth the trip out? would i be able to say, head down friday night, find a hotel 20 minutes or so away, and just hang out on saturday?

how are hotels 20 minutes away? easy to find? ill be taking the PA turnpike if i go.

4. I may go and check it out. It's an NSRA (pre-49?) event and is pretty huge. If you look through all the 'street rods' and 'billet' you will find a good variety of cool hot rods and customs there.

5. BigEd

BigEd

Rob,
    York is one of the NSRA national events. They typically get around 5000 pre-49 cars. Mostly street rods, but with a decent traditional representation. OK swap meet and lots of new parts vendors. I doubt if you will be able to find a room within a 30 minute drive.
    Good luck,
    Ed

6. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

wow that crazy huh? 30 minutes isnt so bad if im juts spending a day though, figure i could leave friday night, stop a long the way about 30-45 minutes away and then hit it up early saturday.

7. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Sleep in your van in the So-What Scottyville encampment just outside the main entrance gate. Thats what I would do if I was going. Can't beat sleeping with the So-What crew.:D

8. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

i wanted to take my car there specifically...and trying to get dad to come.

9. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

and clark doesnt spoon nearly as good as larry.

10. John Copeland

John Copeland
    Member Emeritus

If you are coming West on the PA turnpike, your would want to get on 83 South, about 20 minutes from there to York. It is probably the biggest regional event that the NSRA does. There are guite a few new motels on that exit, if I remember correctly it's Exit 118. Prior to that would be the Harrisburgh exits, you would be able ot fine a place there somewhere. Friday is a laid back day, Saturday is a zoo, the place fills up early on Saturday morning.

John

11. Built2Ride

Built2Ride

Rob, You could stay at my house. We've never met but what better time than now. Don't even know if I i'll have time to go, but, downtown York get's crazy. It's purdy damn big. Hella'va lot of pastel rods. I'm at the river in Marietta on the Lancaster side just off route 30. 20 minutes to York city. My house is super mellow but it'll save you a couple bucks and I've got a couch!!! My 5 year old son might climb on you in the morning and slice your head off with his toy sword. Viva la HAMB! Ken

12. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

This, is my 32th year at Nats East the second largest nsra regional street rod event in the nation, but there are also a lot of traditional hot rods at the event.Many vendors and a flee market also. If you are a car freak this is the show..

13. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

fuck it. im not going.

the main reason i wanted to go was i had to bring my car that way...i just went to go see why the front brake was hanging up and its because i have NO pads left. nothing. and both wheel cylinders are locking up.

oh yeah, i love play in the kingpins too.

14. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Hey, don't feel bad. I live here and I won't be going. The lady and I decided to hit up a Blues festival that weekend. Next year if you decide to go, and I'm don't plan anything else that weekend, you can crash at my joint. I live in Hollywood Heights, a hop skip and jump to the fairgrounds, and we have a kick ass burrito shop down the street. Maybe a skate park soon too.

Sorry to hear about the car.

15. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

going to light it on fire.

see, i checked out the brakes after i realized im going to have to pull the motor to change the tranny and motor seals that are leaking quarts.

16. JEB

JEB

Take the van, dude! 2 birds/ one stone. <Your van is super cool btw>

17. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

I went last year and loved it, only a small percentage of the cars are traditional, but even a small percentage of such a huge show was enough to make me happy.The food there was good, They have an indoor area with all the industry guys, even if I wouldn't put it on my car, the new technology is interesting. Last year they had Swamprat 8 at the goodyear booth. I'm not going this year becasue of work, but definately next year, I reccomend it.

18. 54 chev gasser

54 chev gasser

my dads comin down from syracuse ny were gonna hang out at the show first time hes been out of the house since my mom was diagnosed wit alzheimers so my sisters gonna watch her

19. scarylarry

scarylarry

The York show is gay, but we camp across the street and taunt them with Clarks droopy pants.

20. danny1940

danny1940

Caffeine, I'll be there on aturday in my 40 showing off those new pin strips. Dan

21. rt66jt

rt66jt
    from York, PA

There's a Blues Festival nearby?

22. Clark

Clark

So....Larry is the spoonman:D
    Clark

23. caffeine

caffeine
    from Central NJ

haha, id take the van but the only reason i wanted to go out was for you to look at my car clark haha. man what a day with that thing. the van and all my motorcycle projects are going up on ebay probabaly tomorrow ill put it on the HAMb as well with a good price.

24. 5window

5window

Well, I like it and will be there. Not a lot of the cars are my style-but I still appreciate the creativity. It's a nice 90 mile drive from here, get there early, park on the street. reasonable prices for admission and food, lots of venders-Mac's will bring stuff down for free and in the past, I've saved enough on shipping (bumper and cowl band) to pay for admission. Plus there are these weird guys across the street making fun of all the NSRA traditions! Now if it just would be dry for once---