Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ***November 2018 Banger Meet - Weather Changing***

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Jiminy, Oct 31, 2018.

1. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

FUNNY stuff ! And true ‘side effects’. Like ‘good vibrations ‘ ...ha ha!

2. TWSTR

TWSTR

Hi there,

maybe a silly question but the search couldn't bring a satisfying answer to me.

Got a G28 4Banger which is nearly the same as the model b engine. Wondering if it's possible to ad a remote oil filter while using the mechanical fuel pump. Was thinking about the "mooneyes" remote filter attached by copper oil lines.

Feasible?

Any suggestions?

Where to attach the lines?

Many greetings from Germany
    Daniel

Sent from my MHA-L29 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dannerr likes this.
  3. lake_harley

lake_harley

Well, I bought a block, crank and rods/pistons from my "local supplier". He promised money back if I found anything that didn't please me after I've had a chance to have my machinist take a look at things. My HOPE is that the block is crack free, that the Babbitt is in good condition and that between the two cranks I have now that a working combo can be put together without an expensive Babbitt or insert bearing job. This is probably all going to take a back burner for a couple weeks since I don't know if I can get with my machinist before a vacation we've had scheduled. Nice, warm Aruba baby!!

Lynn

Dannerr likes this.
  4. Dustyp489

Dustyp489

Happy Thanksgiving to all of you

5. Hope everyone is having a Happy Thanksgiving! Getting pelted with rain here on the central coast, but we need it.
    Decided to start on swapping my Model A dizzy to a Model B dizzy. Ran into a few bumps.
    First I disconnected the bendable shaft going from the A dizzy to the pop out ignition.
    Am I supposed to remove that entirely?
    Also, is Cyl1 on the distributor supposed to be near Cyl4 on the block?
    Thanks Guys IMG_0817.JPG IMG_0818.JPG IMG_0819.JPG IMG_0820.JPG IMG_0821.JPG IMG_0822.JPG IMG_0823.JPG

6. Not sure about the shaft question but looking at the first photo it appears the dist is not positioned correct. There is a small pin on the bottom of the dist which fits a small hole in the head. The hole is between 2 & 3. That should put number 1 cyl at the bottom right looking at the motor like in your photo.

Retson the Racer likes this.
  7. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jet96, G Baese and barrnone50 like this.
  8. You are correct! After working in the rain, I must have not even realized it!

Dannerr likes this.
  9. Binger

Binger
    from wyoming

[​IMG][​IMG]

There is a picture is my coupe in Hot Rod Deluxe this month. Nice to see some bangers getting some press.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Jet96, Shutter Speed, woodz and 4 others like this.
  10. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_20181125_125909454.jpg got a chance to put a little time in on the Vicki today. Put the polished up valve cover on.... not going to admit how much time went into the polish job...Got it back to a roller with the shortened up drive line and torque tube.
    It got a gear change to a 3:54
    Hooked up service brakes but the ebrake is not clear in my head.
    Made this fixture out of scrap wood so everything would stay in line.
    IMG_20181104_105759769.jpg
    Worked good and heated me in the shop heater when I was done.

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Jet96, G Baese, Old Dawg and 4 others like this.
  11. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

very nice work

winduptoy likes this.
  12. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Guess I can post my fun here....

So had some very interesting drivability issues, found a warped exhaust manifold, leaking intake etc... BINGO... So got new manifold, mated the exhaust with the intake and some new gaskets and runs tons smoother. Good to get it going in the right direction. Also the Model X that was on there was warped beyond repair, so had to replace it to keep it mobile till i get to downdraft time.
    Next on the list is a new exhaust... Probably some rear brake drums and keys and e brake assemblies honestly probably will pull the rear and do it all at once, gears brakes seals etc. Good news is its running alot cooler now....spring time ill spring for the high comp head and leakless water pump and probably either a model B dist or FSI... Felt good to get her out after 2 weeks down...

29-7.jpg 29-6.jpg 29-5.jpg 29-4.jpg

13. What is going on with that exhaust? Duals?

stubbsrodandcustom likes this.
  14. JT1930

JT1930

Looks like a cable cutout on there. Cool !

15. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

No duals.... Someone put a Y in the the exhaust pipe.... may have been a cutout at some point but Is a huge booger welded piece of weight in the pipe... Looks like Ray Charles welded it with his feet. But surprisingly enough it doesnt leak there, it leaks at the flange.

ROCKER77 and JT1930 like this.
  16. So these last few weeks, I've been researching how to cast aluminum. Last night I did my first pour, and made some ingots as I didn't have enough aluminum. Hoping to make a new flange to fit my 94 on to this homemade race header. Who has a good connect on rebuilding carbs? Got a Holley 94 2100 that I need rebuilt, but I'm not comfortable yet doing it on my own, nor do I have the time.

17. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Yup, it takes time, skill and special tools, to do it ‘correctly’ !
    UNCLE MAX is a member and one of the best, IMO.
    CHARLIE NEW YORK is also member and excellent builder also, IMO.

18. I figured it'd be better to have it done one time, then have to have to do it a few times..

19. Jet96 and winduptoy like this.
  20. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

looks to be a nice high compression head . maybe 7:1 . pic is lion 3 7:1 head

Attached Files:

21. It looks like a nice "Flat Head"; but all the literature that I"VE ever read about Harry A. Miller (of which there is much) there is no mention of such a cylinder head. Miller has been quoted as saying "A Passenger car engine does not make a good race engine"! And thus Miller is said to have rejected the idea of producing the DOHC and OHV cylinder heads for the then new Ford Model A devised by Leo Goossen and Fred Offenhauser. These heads were later produced by Schofield of America and sold as Miller-Schofield's. Miller had sold his business to Schofield in February of 1929; which included his name (Miller); his worn out machine tools and all the patterns to his products (including the two aforementioned heads). Schofield of America lasted not much more than a year before going bankrupt!

winduptoy and Crazydaddyo like this.
  22. Thanks for the replies... It's supposed the seller had two heads... One for model A and another for model B... The model B head is used... And the model A is for machining...

Sent from my Mi A1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  23. Does anyone still cast heads for bangers in california? Would love to watch and learn as I slowly get into casting myself.

24. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Edelbrock is doing Jim Brierley’s A heads. Also check with Buddy Barr.

25. winduptoy

winduptoy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

IMG_20181129_140523627.jpg making headway...maybe make smoke today.
    End the month right

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dannerr, Jet96, Binger and 8 others like this.
  26. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

27. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

winduptoy likes this.
  28. Jiminy

Jiminy