Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Details that you're kinda weird about.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NAES, Nov 26, 2018.

1. jim snow

jim snow

Gotta go with the steering wheel thing. Snowman

loudbang likes this.
  2. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

I'm pretty OCD about plumbing brake lines, even though nobody really sees them. I like them neat and symmetrical, especially on the radius rods.

loudbang, trollst and Just Gary like this.
  3. I've got a thing for acorn nuts. :oops: Not all the time. :oops: Not everywhere. :oops: But where they make sense, I like 'em. :rolleyes:

loudbang likes this.
  4. oldpl8s

oldpl8s

Agreed. I see $100,000 show cars with modern plates - YUK!

5. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

No, the 57 Chevy has a “ stance” that is unique. Sometimes the front of the front fenders are too low, causing the wheel wells to bulge out. ( in my opinion) The 57 has a variety of lines, unlike my car, and is hard to get perfect.
    I just like it when a guy gets it right and the 57 Chevy looks like it’s supposed to, like it came from the factory. It’s a small detail, but thats what this thread is about, details.

Bones

Elcohaulic, loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  6. walter

walter

I am always disturbed by Hot Rods that start off as traditional with great bones and thought and then take a terrible turn to the DARK side and become finished with the cheapest fasteners, gauges, and clamps that can be purchased at the local discount parts house!
    Walter

7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Reminds me of a 57 210 sedan we saw every once in a while.
    It had the rear wheel openings raised up for tire clearance, not radiussed, looked like a home grown version of the original shape, looked like that thing Elvis did with his mouth.
    Everytime we saw it my pal would say "that guy must have had a real narrow garage when he did those wheel openings". Looked like he never pushed it outside to get a good look at it before he welded them.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Boneyard51 likes this.
  8. NAES

NAES

The greasy wrench......

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  9. Dropped axles. I don't mean the store bought ones. Can of Schlitz optional. mor-drop axles.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    jim snow, loudbang, Bam.inc and 3 others like this.
  10. I trim off all excess teflon tape on all my visible fittings. Otherwise it gets shabby and holds dirt.
    Last Saturday night, I was looking at a professionally built truckster thing with a SBC in it. The plugs on the water pump had big gobs and goobers of tape sticking out. No excuse..Amateurish

chevy57dude likes this.
  11. Right. I keep hoping for a gust of wind to slam the hood down on it.

wackdaddy likes this.
  12. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

Not a car phobia, but I have a friend who stores his cereal boxes in alphabetically order...

13. I straighten the wheel dead ahead and then lock the column before I pull the keys in my daily driver.
    Been doing that since they came out in '69:rolleyes:

14. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Shiny clear coat over patia paint drives me crazy

Elcohaulic, da34guy, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  15. x2 on that, buddy..In fact, patina drives me crazy.

Speedwrench likes this.
  16. Deuces

Deuces

Rain man???...

17. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

Oh geezus, mine'll fill a book.....

Just Gary, loudbang and Johnny Gee like this.
  18. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I park directly over the same oil spot in my driveway. Can't stand multiple oil spots, it's unsightly.

19. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Window cranks set @ 4 and 8 o'clock when windows are up.

Elcohaulic, williebill and loudbang like this.
  20. gene-koning

gene-koning

It looks like my car drives a lot of you guys crazy. I think it has just about everything you guys dislike. If I missed something, please let me know so I can screw up the correctness.
    My car looks its best rolling down the highway and that is what I want it to keep doing.

My details? It drives me crazy when I want to go for a ride, and someone wants to tag along, but we have to stop along the way to fix their stuff because it wasn't ready for a cruise. I understand that as you use a car, things happen, but when the things that happen are simply things that a little prevention would have taken care of, it gets to me. Gene

Hemi Joel, Deuces, Truck64 and 2 others like this.
  21. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

My buddy borrowed my lock plate depresser in an attempt to index it so his steering wheel was perfectly dead ahead when locked. I too, always point my wheels straight ahead when parked, and I refuse to turn the wheel until the car is in motion, even if it only rolls an inch or two.

loudbang likes this.
  22. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

OK, I need to confess. For years - when I was insanely anal - I would spend hours turning every Phillips interior trim screw head into the 'X" position. Same for exterior screw like plate fasteners - slotted turned to the 10 and 2 positions.
    Thankfully, I shorted out a pair of 24 volt semi batteries one day, and I don't do that anymore - backyard shock therapy at its best. I am happily now just sanely anal.

wraymen and loudbang like this.
  23. missysdad1

missysdad1

"Smoothie" wheels used instead of authentic-looking reproduction early Ford wheels and hubcaps. But it's the use of cheesy new-made reproduction "spinner" hubcaps on nicely built customs that really makes me crazy. It's not as if real ones are all that hard to find...

williebill likes this.
  24. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Chinese valve covers and air cleaners:mad:, cripes go without your cel phone for a month so you can hold your head up when you open your hood.

williebill, wackdaddy, TagMan and 2 others like this.
  25. loudbang

loudbang

You win the internet today for that one. It made me LOL thinking about those batteries :confused:

chevy57dude and mad mikey like this.
  26. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

I feel much better about myself after reading all of this. I thought I was anal. giphy-facebook_s (2).jpg

27. LAROKE

LAROKE

I think J.C.Whitney trim outs are underappreciated.

28. tinsled

tinsled

I like period plates too... (painted my plates to look like period, because cannot get genuine period plates here...)

However, I have to disagree to "nothing ruins <looks>... like modern plates"
    Plates are tiny-weenie-detail compared to alloy wheels and way-too-low dropped stance, which are the two most common and most ugly ways to ruin apperance of a hot rod or period custom - IMHO. - Thanks & Sorry for up set.

loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  29. I'm funny about my tools too. Everything goes back in the tool box clean, I use a sub-box when I'm taking tools out to do something. It can be a mail tote or a shallow cardboard box. After the job it goes back into the sub-box and is cleaned before being stored. I have my metric wrenches and sockets separated in different drawers too.

loudbang, Deuces and Chappy444 like this.
  30. Anything that's not 40's / 50's especially hubcaps, wheels (no mags), air cleaners (opening on scoops goes toward the firewall (except Grabowski's T roadster), exhaust tips(tru tips and pencil tips that's it), upholstery T J tuck and roll (cloth is out) Dummy spotlights are out Appletons are in., painted chrome is out. Taking cars apart to paint them, 55,56,57, Chevys ( rich guys with Jobs had them in the 50's, when we saw them cruising we thru our Ripple or Silver Satin wine bottles at them) You get the picture. JW

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018