Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Details that you're kinda weird about.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NAES, Nov 26, 2018.

1. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Gotta have the steering wheel on straight. Otherwise I go around in circles.

2. slamnfreak

slamnfreak
    from Washington

Dirty cars at car shows (not talking original or patina'd rides, necessarily, but nicer vehicles), nice paint over bad bodywork, and visible screw heads that aren't turned the same (like the phillips head holding my license plates on...all turned the same). Details like missing valve stem caps drive me crazy, too.

Hnstray and loudbang like this.
  3. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

Looks much better

loudbang likes this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You left one out Danny.
    A model car matching the full size car, sitting on the air cleaner.

40FORDPU, robracer1, Gotgas and 10 others like this.
  5. Groovy

Groovy

Oversized hardware ... 3/8" or 7/16" wrench sized hex head sheet metal screws attaching interior sheet metal together.
    Red, blue, yellow crimp on electrical connectors in plain sight.
    Color matched plastic wire loom covering... Yellow, Red, blue, purple...
    Poorly cut sheet metal, jagged and crooked.
    Poor wheel selection not suited to build theme.
    Mile high shifter with beer tap handles.
    Laker exhaust that turns into under car exhaust...
    That's just part of my do not do list.

rtp, Hnstray and loudbang like this.
  6. Groovy

Groovy

As for my must have on all builds ...Same type of bolts such as all gold anodized grade 8 bolts.
    Hose clamps trimmed so they all have the same length tail and aligned.
    Straight and even brake and fuel lines.
    Cleaned up casting flash.

Hnstray and loudbang like this.
  7. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Some of you guys need to see a shrink. Haha:p
    As for me, I dont like Allen head or 12 point fasteners. (And it's not becase it's too hard to get all the 12 point heads clocked the same, you nuts!)

wackdaddy, blowby, wraymen and 3 others like this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Fasteners are cool.
    Metric fasteners not cool!

9. spanners

spanners

I must be weird. They must have 4 wheels that go round and round. I will accept 2 wheels if it's a motorcickle.:D

moparjimd60 likes this.
  10. 15433145484791275551977.jpg
    Stickers. Generally speaking, they look like crap. There's only one on my whole car, inside the trunk lid.

lothiandon1940, Deuces and loudbang like this.
  11. topher5150

topher5150

Over use of brightly colored wire coverings and braided s/s hoses

Sent from my XT1710-02 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  12. rudestude

rudestude

Cool.... I also like indexed screws... several years back I got into painting houses...the old guy that got me started was crazy about details...he would follow behind me with a little mirror looking up under edges of trim and moulding to make sure it got painted...he always said " If you can't do it perfect than don't do it at all " and one of his things when we removed any thing that was screwed down , light switch and plug in plates, hinges ..the type of hinge determined the direction of the screw slots,..etc. when it was put back on the screw slots all went up and down...he also splashed rubbing alcohol on his hands evey time he touched anything....and he also drank a half gallon of whiskey every day.....water backed...he eventually retired and gave me his business including all equipment ...to this day I still index screws .... I got out of the business after 12 years....

Sent from my QTASUN1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

williebill, NAES, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  13. Deuces

Deuces

The guy must have been insane......:confused:

14. .............Half gallon of whiskey daily will make you a little insane.:D;)

mad mikey, Deuces, rudestude and 3 others like this.
  15. Hose clamp used to mount tachometer to the steering column! Looks right in a race car, like a$$ in anything else.

16. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know a guy that jacks his car up and rotates each wheel at a car show so all four wheel covers are clocked. He carries a small floor jack with him.

loudbang likes this.
  17. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I also like to "clock" screws and bolt heads. But then I'm so anal I worry about them not all being at a consistent tightness.

loudbang likes this.
  18. LAROKE

LAROKE

Turned into a bitch fest just like that. Human nature strikes again.

19. I'm the guy that spent $36 on good quality stainless steel hardware to install my exhaust manifolds. They will never rust and are plenty strong. I think the only native hardware on my SBC is the crank bolt and maybe 2 pieces of alternator bracket bolts that would be hard to replace with stock hardware.
    130-010.JPG 1-09-017.JPG

i.rant, mad mikey, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  20. topher5150

topher5150

untrimmed zip ties, or hose clamps that are waaaaayyyyyy to big for what they are being used for.

Before I moved out and got married I told my dad that I wanted to build a rat/old school hot rod....he laughed at me and told me that I'm to much of a perfectionist to have a car like that

Just Gary and loudbang like this.
  21. topher5150

topher5150

now i know what my wife feels like when she walks past the jewelry stores in the mall.

loudbang likes this.
  22. mountainman2

mountainman2

Just apologized to the wife and promised to never again complain about her OCD when it comes to housework She is very normal when compared to this gang. o_O

mad mikey, F&J, Deuces and 5 others like this.
  23. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

Had a guy at HS with a POS 48 Chevy that done that every morning when he parked it. By lunch time they "somehow' all pointed different ways, drove him crazy:rolleyes:

24. for me its cleaning... i feel like i should be able to work on any part of my car and not get filthy doing it. this includes garage floor and tools as well. nothing pisses me off more than going to help a friend and grabbing a wrench out of the box and getting dirty before i even get started working because they didn't wipe the tool off before throwing it back in the box ... or having to clean up an oil spill, or chunks of grime on the floor from the last job before crawling under the car.
    just this weekend i was helping a friend do some work on a 4wd actuator on his truck...he pulled it off and it had 100,000 miles of under car grime on it and he was just going to slap the new actuator on it and put it back...i started twitching... i literally grabbed it out of his hands and scraped all the grime off with a putty knife, hosed it down with brake cleaner, wiped it off and handed it back to him... he was looking at me kind of funny and i said you may have to get dirty taking it apart but you shouldn't have to get dirty putting it back together...
    aside from that i am particular about the "normal things" like neat wiring, too long of bolts and hose clamp tails... not so much on indexing screws...
    Chappy

robracer1, Deuces, trollst and 5 others like this.
  25. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Chappy, if you had to work in my shop, for the next week you would feel like things were crawling on you. :)

jaw22w, mad mikey, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  26. Dirty interiors. Even my daily drivers I regularly vacuum and clean the interior. And I wash my cars or daily drivers before a road trip (which is often). Even if I know it's going to rain. Dunno why, I just do.

27. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Period license plates. Nothing ruins a neat old hot rod, or classic car of any kind for that matter like a pair of ugly modern plates.

robracer1, redzula and NAES like this.
  28. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Most of my things have already been mentioned, neat wiring and tubing, all run straight and nice bends, hardware, painted parts without the bolts being painted, neat plug wires, etc.
    But what also bothers me is crappy crimping on wires. I have seen excellent wiring systems, layed out real nice only to see smashed cheap terminals at connections.

Also, has been kinda mentioned, but what chappes me is wavy body parts with good paint and the “ lines” of the car wrong. The car in my avatar needs to have a straight line from the rear tail light to the headlights, also the front wheel well should not be “ flared”. For some reason that seems to be a problem for folks with this model car and the 57 Chevy.... Just me!

Bones

loudbang and VANDENPLAS like this.
  29. belyea_david

belyea_david
    from Regina, SK

This a thing that does drive me crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and jim snow like this.
  30. I'm trying to understand your meaning here. Is it the trim on a '57 you don't like?