Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Roadside Toolbox

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ryan, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

The Roadside Toolbox

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Okie Pete, Mtn Goat, Lazy A and 4 others like this.
  2. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Kinda similar to a toolbox is what I carry my car cleanup supplies in (rags, wax, glass cleaner etc) in a 50's vintage luggage piece that was originally intended as a ladies make up case but looks like a small suitcase. here is a pic of one just like one of mine. It is a samsonite and they had several colors. I would imagine they could be used for tools/repair parts too and they really look like they belong in the trunk of a vintage car samsonite.jpg

3. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

@Moriarity that is a fantastic idea! We've got several vintage suitcases taking up space. Now I can put at least a couple to good use!

4. Man, Mark, that is an awesome idea! Way better than the brown bucket I carry in the trunk of mine. LOL

I'm a sucker for old Craftsman toolboxes and buy them any time I find them cheap. They get heavy fast though. @straykatkustoms put me onto the old aluminum Simonsen tackle boxes for my One Shot and brushes. Some of them even have a flying eyeball of sorts embossed on the side. That red bullet one looks a lot like an old vacuum cleaner.....hmmmm......

5. KCTA Chris

KCTA Chris

Lots of miles with one of these in the trunk ...

Dd-QbKpVAAABEcd.jpg

Okie Pete, catdad49, Mtn Goat and 5 others like this.
  6. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I use an old doctors leather hand bag, I know pretty much which tools I need to take the car apart so no need to carry anything more.

7. shivasdad

shivasdad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

The Blackhawk bullet one really looks cool. Of course the only ones I found online were very expensive, at least for my pockets. The old suitcase idea is a great one though.

Okie Pete likes this.
  8. krbstr

krbstr

[​IMG]
    I used a bag like this and Inside I have separate tool rolls for wrenches, pliers and a socket set. Other stuff like screwdrivers and small spare parts are kept in Klein zippered pouches.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Okie Pete, catdad49 and MUNDSTER like this.
  9. Dutch 1960

Dutch 1960

I use a thick nylon bag (from Harbor Freight, cheap!) shaped like that Klein Tools bag. Unlike a hard sided box, it doesn't slide around much, and is less likely to ding up the vehicle if it does move around a bit. It also fits in odd places under car seats and behind truck seats, it sort of shapes-to-fit. I move it with me from vehicle to vehicle as I go. Also lightweight and comfortable to carry when I spend hours in the junkyards.

The hard metal boxes stay in the shop.

Okie Pete and rockable like this.
  10. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I have graduated to using blow molded boxes from other tools as mobile tool boxes. They are thin and flat, easy to slip under a seat or stand up in a small area. You can buy tool sets from several different places that have basic socket and wrench sets, from cheap import stuff to the high dollar brands. Most of the time those and a few screwdrivers will get you by on the side of the road.

Okie Pete likes this.
  11. ZOOMIE TWO-SHOES

ZOOMIE TWO-SHOES

The wooden Black and Decker case that Ryan posted matches one I have from my grandfathers valve grinding machine. The box held the hand held grinder (to face the seats in the heads), had three drawers to hold the different size stones and guides. It certainly got it's fair share of use when I was a young pup just starting out.

Okie Pete likes this.
  12. What a timely article! just last night my wife surprised me with an early Christmas present that she picked up at an antique flea market this past Monday. the old decal on the inside says Globe Tool Boxes; and she even got me an old Ford wrench to go with it. Pictures to follow.

Okie Pete likes this.
  13. 1121182156.jpg 1121182156.jpg 1121182156a.jpg Globe tool box

Attached Files:

14. Garpo

Garpo

Those old doctors, or "Gladstone" bags are versatile. They come in different sizes and turn up at most swap meets if you look. We managed to get a complete moped engine in one (partly dismantled) and took it as air cabin baggage back in the days before x-rays. Probably couldn't do it now.
    Garpo

Okie Pete and Paul like this.
  15. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

It’s plastic but my road tool box carry’s a ton of tools in pre fit pop in slots. The two doors/lids flip open and carry even more.

It’s roughly 2 1/2 inches tall and 22x22 if I were guessing. I typically strap it to my spare tire or lay it flat on the floor. Been using it for the last 17 years

-I’ll take a photo even though it’s not vintage when I get a chance. Maybe something vintage does the same thing and I can upgrade ;)

Okie Pete likes this.
  16. Man, I'm diggin' that plastic, "marbleized" green tackle box. Looks like something from those folks, "Pearlcraft" that do those cool-ass steering wheels Down Under. chstorage2015-img1200x900-1502680630vx3tut19762.jpg

Okie Pete, catdad49 and Mtn Goat like this.
  17. I hauled around a Kennedy machinist box for years but it's too damned heavy! I've since graduated to a military surplus O.D. green tool bag. It's much quieter too.

Okie Pete and lothiandon1940 like this.
  18. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

I use an old tackle box I picked up at an auction. I wanted to put a tool roll in it but couldn't find one I liked. So instead I wrapped the wrenches in microfiber cloths. Keeps them from clicking around and the cloths are useful to have when doing a repair 20181123_182909.jpeg 20181123_182849.jpeg 1543016235445.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    alanp561, Okie Pete, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  19. papa's 39 koop

papa's 39 koop

I had this in my 35 international and my 39 ford. I picked up this WW2 bomb box at garage sale years ago for $10..Room enough for jug of antifreeze ,oil tools,spare wiring and fuses,small floor jack ,rags what ever I needed. Had a lot of guys try and buy it. P1010007 2.JPG P1010003.JPG P1010005 2.JPG P1010004.JPG P1010001.JPG

20. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

[​IMG] This is what I use. I keep one eye open for older/cooler/nicer tool boxes. I also like old suitcases but I still use them for clothes.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Okie Pete, catdad49 and Mtn Goat like this.
  21. I have several old toolboxes that I could send your way for a fair price if interested. Some are a bit rusty and patina'd. Most all are about the size of the red one above. I think that I have about 4 or 5 of them. PM me and I'll send you photos?

Okie Pete and MUNDSTER like this.
  22. I use both the vintage suit case and toolbox. Toolbox 002.JPG Toolbox 001.JPG Toolbox 004.JPG

23. Mtn Goat

Mtn Goat

I use a tackle box and the old family picnic basket in the wagon. Tool box.jpg Picnic basket2.jpg

24. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

ct1932ford likes this.
  25. Yes it is heavy, but so am I. I even have the keys, and it locks.

Okie Pete and MUNDSTER like this.
  26. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I’m on the hunt.

27. Will keep my eyes open. I did see one recently, but do not remember where.:oops: Maybe it will come to me.

28. Pass The Torch

Pass The Torch
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Uncle had these (with spare / extra parts) in addition to an over packed Craftsman box in his '37. Dove Gray, like everything else.
    IMG_2833.jpg

Okie Pete likes this.
  29. fleetside66

fleetside66

I use this one, which has no hasp or lock...a plumbers tool box?
    IMG_0645.jpg

Mtn Goat, Okie Pete, MUNDSTER and 2 others like this.
  30. 31hotrodsedan man

31hotrodsedan man

Decided to try my hand at pinstriping and lettering for my $1.50 estate sale box. Still have a long way to go but pretty happy with the result.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019