Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What Mufflers Do You Run On Your Hot Street Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Smoothy, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Smoothy

Smoothy

Hi all,

Sometime tomorrow during the cyber Monday sales I'm going to purchase a set of mufflers for my 56 Chevy project. It's a Big Block Chevy, 10.2:1 Compression, XE274H Comp Cam, and the fenderwell headers have 3" collectors so I plan on 3" pipes. I'll have them dump out in about the same spot as the two lane blacktop 55, between the back of the door and the beginning of the rear fenderwell. I'm looking for something with a sound that fits within the mid 1960s to 1970 time period. I also should mention that this car will see a lot of street miles, as I'm planning to use it as a driver. So I'm searching for something that sounds tough, but also something that's not going to wake up the neighbors while rolling in the driveway late at night. I'm kind of torn between the Cherry Bombs and the Dynomax Bullets at the moment.

So, what mufflers do you run? Opinions on past setups, or what you'd like to do in the future? It would be neat to hear your car too, so if you have a video go ahead and post a link!

chevy57dude and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well they didn't even have "turbo" mufflers until Corvairs cam out with them on the turbo cars in 65 and 66 so that blows the "Hamb Friendly" on them from the get go. That pretty well leaves glass packs or a handful of early 60's performance mufflers.

TCATTC and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. Looking for the sound of the 60's? May I suggest an "oldies" radio station on your AM dial.

pbr40, Budget36, Bandit Billy and 3 others like this.
  4. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Let's see, big block, high compression, a high lift cam, fender well headers and 3" pipes running a very short exhaust system with practically no bends.

I see a few things happening, first of all waking everyone in the neighborhood regardless of the time of day and regardless of what you choose for mufflers.
    Especially with the 2 mufflers you have in mind.

The next thing I see in your future is hearing loss unless you are fond of wearing ear plugs all the time you are behind the wheel.

If you're building a driver, tone down the exhaust with smaller diameter pipes with some bends, and decent mufflers running out to the back of the car.

joel, jim snow, Bandit Billy and 5 others like this.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D
    With the exhaust system he's describing he wouldn't even be able to hear the radio. :D

Budget36, Bandit Billy and czuch like this.
  6. I run 3" pipes from the exhaust manifolds to 3" NAPA glass pacs and then out before rear tires . This is why I'm going deaf , after driving over 14 hours to shows like Nats in Louisville I couldn't hear a thing !

Bandit Billy and Blue One like this.
  7. sunbeam

sunbeam

Walker Continentals glass packs sound mellow turbos just loud.

8. squirrel

squirrel

Drewfus likes this.
  9. I run reproduction Chrysler Hemi turbo mufflers by Walker.
    Very hard to find however. I had to expand the inlet and outlet to fit my 3” system
    Mellow with a sweet tone.
    My other big block car runs Summit Turbo muffler, also mellow but a bit louder.
    The 3 inch exhaust system is very tough to control sound.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  10. Gman0046

Gman0046

Trying to figure out what mufflers to use on my Poncho Bubbletop. Currently has new stock mufflers that are way too quiet. Need something without the "highway drone" yet have some tone. First car I've had in a while without FlowMaster 40's. On my 63 BelAir 2 door posr car tried Magnaflows which were too loud and drew too much attention. The problem with mufflers is you never really know how they will sound until after they are installed.
    Gary

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    belair likes this.
  11. oldsman41

oldsman41

I dont have anything big block anymore, the olds i run porters on and my flathead merc is straight pipes the model a isn’t to that point yet but I’m thinking walkers on it. I have to agree with the guys on this though 3 inch pipes no bends and big block you will be deaf in no time.

12. Had Flomaster 40s on a Dodge PU. Way too much highway drone for me. Running Smithy glass on the Buick. 26 inch, I believe. May be quieter than you want. But agree, out the back if you do not want to harm those ears.

Ben

13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

They didn't have big block Chevies till then either, so .......

firstinsteele and s55mercury66 like this.
  14. 4tford

4tford

I used magnaflow on my 392 hemi in my 40 ford and exited the exhaust just in front of the rear tires. Less drone and a little quitter than flowmasters. IM001138.JPG IM001136.JPG

15. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

If trying to stick with a late 60's era performance sound you really only have 2 choices for "type" of muffler, either glass packs or turbos. But with 3" exhausts that's gonna limit availability of either type. I'd suggest reducing down to 2 1/2" pipes from the collectors back and go with 2 1/2" in/out mufflers. Than it's your choice between the 2 types, my preference would be turbos for sure. A BBC thru a pair of turbo mufflers is a sweet sound to my ears.

Or, if you want to stick with the 3" exhaust, I'd suggest you try a pair of these: https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Spee...wILawCtt2UIdkx_wCxUdIEnPmoYSwuNxoCOYIQAvD_BwE

[​IMG]
    These will bring the volume level down about 10db's (roughly half), which is just about right IMO, and sound great under acceleration, a far better exhaust note than glass packs for sure. Louder, not as mellow as turbo's.

jim snow likes this.
  16. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Had 2 chamber noise masters on my Stude...way too loud, switched to magnaflows still fairly loud but tolerable for me. Car has fenderwell headers and 3"exhaust.

Hightone111 likes this.
  17. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tail pipes to the rear of the car are wonderful things.

18. MIKE STEWART

MIKE STEWART

Put Porter steel packs on the 1939 Ford Coupe - 327 and 30/30 solid lift cam and 2.5 Ram-heads - mandral bend 2.5 system. Really sounds nice - cool sound and still can hear.

Elcohaulic and Blue One like this.
  19. Shamus

Shamus
    from NC

20. My advice, if you want to drive it lots, run pipes out the back regardless of what mufflers you use. If you want it louder for short runs you could have a set of dumps closer to the front you can uncap.

firstinsteele and Blue One like this.
  21. slowmotion

slowmotion

Walker 21348 (# now defunct) now reverted to their Dyno-Max line. Walkers version of the Corvair turbo muffler ('65 makes it Hamb friendly BTW, if anybody gives a shit :rolleyes:). 2 1/2" in & out. Ran many, still use a set. None of that tinny, rap-rap, blap-blap bullshit....:D

Cliff Ramsdell, jim snow and Blue One like this.
  22. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

No need for 3" exhaust unless you are in the 800hp range... 2.5" will support anything and everything up to that point.

I agree, glasspacks is where you will be. I just pulled the flowmasters off my truck in the avatar, put on some glasspacks... they are getting broken in pretty well and have a nice ring to em. not too loud but enough to let people know its not grandpa coming through.

Elcohaulic and gimpyshotrods like this.
  23. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

So whats a 409 or Z11 ?

24. squirrel

squirrel

I had glass packs on my blown 427 for a little while. With full tailpipes it was tolerable in the car...but really loud for the folks following me. And I did get complaints.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  25. AHotRod

AHotRod

26. Porter mufflers on the old beater, Flowmasters on the boss ladys wagon. HRP

Elcohaulic, Blue One and VANDENPLAS like this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

When I had the chassis built for my roadster I completely forgot to figure in space for the mufflers around the tube structures and ladder bars, the plan was Flowmaster 40 series mufflers, didn't happen so ended up having to use a bullet style, mine are SS, made by Stainless Specialties.

20181126_120145.jpg

28. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Dynomax Super Turbo Mufflers #17749.. They will sound very quiet when first installed but as you use them they get such a nice tone to them.. I think the sound deadener gets covered with soot. The Dynomax mufflers are different then the other Turbos. They have directional channels in them that give them a distinct sound and they flow well..

[​IMG]

29. @Smoothy - What did you end up with?

30. Gman0046

Gman0046

My 56 BelAir with a warmed over 327, fenderwell headers, "X" pipe, Flowmaster 40's and 2 1/2" pipes out below the rear bumper sounds as good as any car I've heard. I believe the "X" pipe makes the difference.

pitman likes this.