Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Who Else Gets To Drive Your Car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TFoch, Oct 20, 2018.

1. boltupal

boltupal
    from western ny

The only one that drives my old chevy, are the voices in my head!!!!

2. Work In Progress

Work In Progress

ct1932ford, wicarnut, TFoch and 4 others like this.
  3. F&J

F&J

anybody

reading this thread made me realize that from now on, when people ask if they can take a picture of it, I always offer to let them sit in it and I'll use their cell to take the pic...now, I will then see if they want to drive it.

I'd say that 95% who have asked for pics are females, so this could be fun.o_O...hmm....maybe I'll start today:cool:

4. perk30

perk30

5. rmorris

rmorris

6. Rodders

Rodders

My wife, son , daughter and my dad have all taken my car out. My son drove it more then me last summer. I let a friend of mine take my roadster to Louisville for the nats 2 years ago. If your stingy about your kids driving it then they will have no interest in them. IMO

7. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

My wife went for a ride.....once, when we were newly married. She's a great wrench, helped my swap motors, etc, many times, just no desire to drive. My oldest son (19) has driven it some, but he's grown up helping me wrench, and has a car 1 year newer than mine that he bought at 13. My oldest daughter is 17 and licensed now, but I haven't taught her how to drive a manual yet. And my car's been down for a year and a half.

Devin

8. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

My son has but not too many others have apart from me and him. Matt2.jpg Matt1.jpg

9. The Future owner just trying it out.;) 20170917_143022.jpg

10. brianf31

brianf31

My youngest son and brother have driven it so far. I'll teach the wife and oldest son to drive stick on it before long.

11. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

#3 grandson "borrowed" the '40 to take his girlfriend to the junior prom last year. That is a look of joy on his face as he left his house to pick her up. The family was astounded that I let him take it but in my old age I have developed a WTF attitude and a greater appreciation of what little kindnesses like this mean to others, especially the boys. 32294540_10215666608689175_4283959041417281536_n.jpg

12. jvo

jvo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty much any of my friends or family that show an interest. I started a thread here about 6 years ago titled, "Do you let your kids drive your hot rod?" I stated there that no-one would intentionally do any harm to it. Its just a machine.

Ron Funkhouser and TFoch like this.
  13. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Other than the guy pulling it into the shop to put exhaust on it I think the only person who’s driven my 46 other than me is @porknbeaner and that was just down to the corner and back as far as I remember.

14. flatout51

flatout51

I've had to force my dad to drive my cars. (He has old cars and got me into the hobby) he just enjoys riding now. But nothing makes me happier than seeing him behind the wheel of my cars. The woman doesn't like driving period and my son is 5 yrs old... but he has yard driven my model a from my lap and will drive them anytime he wants when old enough. My dad always let me drive his cars when I was young and would say "it's just an old car. I fixed it once I can do it again."

Sent from my SM-N960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. None of the people I would consider to drive my car have a competition license. 20161101_085923.jpg

16. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

The Human Beinz said it best, but then, all my stuff has manual steering, and manual drums.

TFoch likes this.
  17. raymay

raymay

Our cars were always a Family thing and the builds were designed that way. Several times my Wife would get to the Streetrod and go shopping before I had a chance. When my son and Daughter turned 17 they each learned to drive the Chopped 37 Chevy Sedan. School functions, parades, proms and eventually their own weddings, our cars were always involved. After the Grandsons were born we sometimes needed to use 2 cars so my Daughter and Son-in-law always got to take the 2nd car. Our Son in Michigan now owns our old 37 Chevy Custom Kingcab and our Daughter still takes a turn behind the wheel of one of the cars when they come up from Florida for a visit. Oldest Grandson is a teenager so who knows what the future will bring.

20046331_10213728392984903_7283611952312252860_n.jpg IMG_0371.JPG

ct1932ford, jvo, mgtstumpy and 8 others like this.
  18. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Lessee here...........besides me there are only two folks that could drive it: Salma Hayek and Penelope Cruz.

bchctybob and TFoch like this.
  19. The wife is too intimidated, oldest son has no interest, youngest son only once(with me in the car) & I could tell he was nervous.
    If my mechanic buddy asked, I would let him take it for a spin.

chryslerfan55 and TFoch like this.
  20. spurgeonforge

spurgeonforge

4D4C6E2F-77FC-4F0F-B9BF-BE6FDB76A226.jpeg My oldest daughter claims my 46’

21. Nobody.
    I have a pretty fast OT car, people ask how fast is it?
    fast enough I don't want guys trying to find out how fast it is!

clem and TFoch like this.
  22. PoTaToTrUcK

PoTaToTrUcK

I have a picture somewhere of my boy under the 51 F1 when he was about 4, here he gets to drive it. Proud Dad, happy Son.

IMG_1194.JPG

ct1932ford, TFoch, mgtstumpy and 4 others like this.
  23. Dixon Bastie

Dixon Bastie

I'm not certain if this quite qualifies, but the last person to drive one if my cars was the dumbass I caught as he hotwired and prepared to steal my 63 Corvette convertible off the street in front of a Chevrolet dealer in downtown Minneapolis on a bright sunny summer day.
    It's a shame the only "drive" he got was his front teeth going up into his nose after I cold-cocked him with a tight meathook to the back of his brainless head. He wasn't aware I was looking out of the showroom window waiting for the dealership's Corvette buyer to appraise my car for a trade-in.
    Wonder if he has a permanent lisp to this day from the hole where his front teeth used to be.
    1970 was a fun year ........

TFoch and F&J like this.
  24. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Depends on the car... Some more driver friendly than the others. All have 3 pedals.

TFoch likes this.
  25. 13below0

13below0
    from Erie PA

I never understood the "no one" drives my car thing. No one is going to do anything worse to it than I would. Lots of OT junk some were really fast, keys were always in it. If it helps get people interested in the hobbies I'm all for it.

26. Hurley50

Hurley50
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NC

I've let only a few people drive my roadster, but not many people ask either. This is my buddy Chris driving roughly 95mph on El Mirage in August..... he has probably driven it more than anyone but me... click on the link.

27. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Yep, three guys, Me, Myself, and I. Very few actually, 3 sp+od column shift foot starter. People brain freeze when I start to explain my overdrive.

clem and TFoch like this.
  28. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

My daughter. She is a primary school psychologist and she makes big points when she drives in in my '67 Corvette Coupe with side pipes and 4 speed.

biggeorge and TFoch like this.
  29. Stephen Barrett

Stephen Barrett

Most people ask me how I drive it or fit in it. I think they're scared of it. As they should be. IMG_1552.jpg

ct1932ford, biggeorge and TFoch like this.