Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1954 Pontiac Chieftain Front Turn Signals

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pocket Nick, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Hey alright! I have run into a roadblock with my friend's Poncho that I did a complete rewire on. This isn't a thread asking how to get the signals to work, all the electrical is working as it should. My dilemma is the lack of knowledge on how the front markers attach to the center grille extensions. If anyone is familiar with this set up or better yet has a picture of the business ends blown apart, that would help a lot. You would think this is pretty straightforward but my gut is telling me that some parts went missing when everything went to be chromed, possibly some small brackets that allow the reflectors to be bolted to the grille. Who has the answer, because Google just tries to sell me parts for later model Pontiacs no matter how much I reword my questions.

2. Nick; It's been years since I cut up the Grill for my Ford project but as I remember it the end of the Center piece has a flange that butts up against the signal units. Not sure what I did with the signal units, may even be out in the Toy Box lost in a box. But here are 2 photos that may help you.
    DSCN4916.JPG images01.jpg The odd shapes fit against the end and just bolts on. I guess I could go dig around if your actually missing stuff but not sure I would turn anything up.
    The Wizzard

Pocket Nick likes this.
  3. Thanks for the pics! Well so far I actually came up with a factory part number for the parts I now for sure know are missing. They are called parking lamp mount plates, they have an inner and outer plate the attaches to the rear of the reflector and then the plates are secured to the opening in the grille. This is all hidden behind the plastic lens shown in the second picture. They also provide the means to secure the chrome bezel in place. Looks like I'm making some thing to get this to jive, because I doubt factory part numbers will help on a 64 year old car.

4. These are for a '60 reverse lamp but the same function, see the upper left of the illustration for the small brackets. ppark.jpg

5. I went and did a once over and came up empty handed. I guessing they went to a Swap Meet many years ago. Wish I could have been more help.
    The Wizzard

6. Thank you for trying though, I'll just whip up my own and stop over worrying about it.

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  7. Did you have a look on eBay for anybody parting one?

8. Yea no dice at this time.