Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Couple questions...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by riseabove_xxx, Nov 24, 2018.

1. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

I got a split wishbone with an axle for my truck. I was told to heat the wishbones to spread them out. Where do I heat them at? Also won’t that screw up the spring somehow?

I measured the front lug pattern for some rims. They are 5x4.25” does that seem right? Seems pretty small to me.

I got an model a (I think) grill shell for it yesterday. Is there a modern radiator that fits up with it? I don’t want to have a custom one made. I know that the inlet and outlets matter. The top is center mount and the bottom is passenger I think. It’s a ‘59 Buick Nailhead.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

RAT "T" and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If you measured "true" bolt circle and those rotors are small Ford/Mopar then it should be 4&1/2".

3. razoo lew

razoo lew
    from Calgary

After you split the wishbones and the mounting position is finalized you then heat the spring hanger boss on the front of the axle and bend it to be 90 degrees to the axle. Quite a few threads on the HAMB describing the operation, looks pretty basic.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most guys use something like this.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/TCI-...0-Transmission-Mount-1937-1940-Ford,1135.html

This replaces the center X member cradle and includes mounts for the wishbones and transmission.

What was your wishbone/axle in? Looks like it was under a hot rod of some kind. If you use the Speedway mount, what you have MIGHT bolt right to it. Do you have any pics of the pointy end of the wishbones?

Don't heat anything yet.

-Abone.

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not the best picture, but if you look close, you can see what I am talking about. This is a 1940 frame, but it is the same as what you have.

[​IMG]

-Abone.

riseabove_xxx likes this.
  6. dan31

dan31

When measuring a 5 bolt pattern you measure from the outside of one stud to across the rim to the center of that one. So it's outside to center ,not center to center. Hope it helps

riseabove_xxx likes this.
  7. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

8. oldsman41

oldsman41

They look like ford rotors bolt pattern 5on 4 1/2. You going to keep the nailhead stock or going to horse it up a bit? For my money i would beef up the frame some maybe even box it. Check it over real good some times little cracks make for big trouble.

harpo1313 likes this.
  9. It’s a ‘59 Buick Nailhead. Nailhead water pumps exit on the driver side.

10. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

I’m not sure what it was in. It was on some guys garage floor.
    The pointy end? Where the rod end is at?

11. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

That helps BIG time!!! I was going crazy with finding rims

dan31 likes this.
  12. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

I’m going to box the frame for sure. I’m not going to beef up the motor... yet lol

13. oldsman41

oldsman41

Modern ford or dodge rims will work, if you are going to run baby moons or hub caps of some type you can buy multi hole will have both 4 1/2. 4 3/4 pattern.

14. dan31

dan31

Always thought that that was a weird way to do it because on a 6 bolt rim you do use center to center measurement.