Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hood latch problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 18, 2018.

1. I like the short welding rod with the loop on the end for backup and keep the original lubed, just go end to end on the outside with an oil can, it'll soak thru to the pull cable.

2. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

The cable I used for a remote was off a 2014 F-150.

3. donno

donno

Flat piece of 18 ga, 8-10 in long, width of a hacksaw blade. Grind a "V" notch in one end, wrap some tape on other end. Use pix provide to locate where to insert tool to locate lever / cable stop. Push firmly, should open. Laterpainted mine, etched in Mercury logo and plasti dipped the handle end.

BoilermakerDave and X-cpe like this.
  4. Terrible80

Terrible80

Could you come up in front of radiator with a L shaped rod. ?

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

X-cpe likes this.
  5. jazz1

jazz1

Saturday is when you learn the hood needs to be open to remove grill?

Budget36 and BoilermakerDave like this.
  6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I wonder what the factory procedure was to open one with a broken cable. Or did they even have those factory service manuals back then, or were they all generic like a Motors manual?

7. japchris

japchris
    from England

I have a '50 Merc with similar latch. I did away with the cable and welded a handle that can be reached through the grille opening. Also added a 'house front door' safety chain in case it pops open.
    1.JPG
    1.JPG

8. Well guys, I am pleased to announce that two 68 year old war horses, the coupe & myself, did battle most of the morning and I tried many of the options I was offered but in the long run I finally persuaded the '50 to open up.

In the long run it took a hooked spring, a pair of needle nose pliers and prying with a coil-spring adjuster, a plethora of choice four letter words and a little blood but the hood is opened, it has been greased and before I close it I will make a emergency loop like has been suggested. HRP

[​IMG]

David Gersic, Slopok, D type and 8 others like this.
  9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Question. If you were 16 all over again and the the car were a woman and the hood were a bra, would you have waited so long to get it open? ;)

BJR, 54vicky, da34guy and 4 others like this.
  10. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

I'm gonna bet this is why my cable is "skinned" - probably got stuck at some point and a previous owner decided to make life easier for "next time" and cut away the spring. Or, destroyed it in the attempt. :D

11. When I was 16 the girls I knew didn't wear them. HRP

BJR, studebaker46 and Johnny Gee like this.
  12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Hmm? That can go so many way's.

13. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Got the hood open! Yay!
    Life is good...
    Now, about that rusty bumper...

14. Back in the 60's girls were burning their bras, not wearing them! HRP

15. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Liberating non the less. :)

16. studebaker46

studebaker46

glad you won Danny. Have you noticed the knuckles skin a lot easier in our advanced stage of adolecense Tom

Terrible80 likes this.
  17. john lapp

john lapp

I took a long screw driver and with the release pulled tapped the release arm and got it to open that way but this was on a 59 Chevy 3100. GL

18. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you notice there is a gap between the cable stop and the latch release. Well today the gap must have got some what bigger . We were at a rod run Xmas get together and a guy wanted to see the hopped up Y block , the hood did open but only after a few tries. Whew did not need to find the emergency release . Now its all squared away back to where it should be and lubed up. Probably if we had a single wire release with the wire looped at the end there would be less tendency to slide. But believe me its done up tight now.
    09653360-C06E-4D4B-8E52-3FB2DB6D8BE5.jpeg

19. Dave Wolin

Dave Wolin
    from California

Anyone hooked up an emergency release for their shoebox hood cable ? How'd ya do it ? Just in case the cable fails !!