Register now to get rid of these ads!

History NHRA "Sports Car Class"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuced Up!, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am trying to find information about the NHRA Sports Car Class. I know it was a class that saw some wild looking machines: MGAs, Austin Martins...etc. with mountain motors sticking out the hood. Any information, class rules, PHOTOS...Lets see them.

2. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. Rules were basically the same as gas coupe and sedan, and street roadster classes. 10% engine set back, a minimum wheelbase limit, originally started as a real sports car, and run gasoline. Way back these classes were supposed to have full lighting and electrical system, mufflers, be self starting, and street legal. That went away in the mid 60's.

And you just happened to have posted a photo of one of the most bad ass modified sports class cars ever! Norm ran that Healey into the nines before the gassers got close to the nines.

4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

That green Healy ran in AA/MSP. AA for supercharged, MSP for Modified Sports. Modified was allowed a 25% engine set back like Altereds. A,B,C/SP were as Dean says and similar to Gas class. When they did away with MSP and SP classes they fell into the respective Altered and Gas classes. My car ran BM/SP that was 7 lbs/cu.in. was mis-classed at NY National one time and ran B/G but most of the time after that it ran C/A

Pat

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.

5. rooman

rooman

Actually it is Aston Martin and I doubt that anyone ran one of them ( a little up market, even then) but there were plenty of Austin Healey's along with Sam Parriott's scratch built Kurtis cars and a bunch of aftermarket bodied cars such as Kellisons etc.

Roo

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Let's not forget the Cobra DragonSnake CSX2XXX_-_JoelRosensMotionPerformanceDraginsnake.jpg

7. rfraze

rfraze

There is at least one other thread on this subject. Might be easier to find with the new Google search.

8. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Correct, I was trying to make sure I put Austin in there when typing because I didn't want to accidentally say Aston Healey...then look what went and I did....! LOL

9. Gene Boul

Gene Boul

Late Sam Cunningham dominated that class in the 60's and 70's. "That class" was probably C/MSP or similar. Don't remember exactly he was very talented.

10. 1934coupe

1934coupe

From what I could find he ran DM/SP. I'll do some more research.

Pat

11. elgringo71

elgringo71

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
  12. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

I just picked up this model locally, amazing detail, and all metal. received_283064702414914.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kidcampbell71 and 1934coupe like this.
  13. George Klass

George Klass
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

14. Kind of ironic wouldn't you say; a fiberglass car reproduced in "all metal"?