Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Need help plumbing Ford 8.8 brakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ritzy1, Nov 18, 2018.

1. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

So, I've got an 8.8" rear axle out of a '94 Mustang GT I'm using in my '48 Ford. I'm struggling to figure out the best way to plumb the brakes from the caliper to the rear axle. Anybody share some advice?

Thanks in advance! Dave

Pic of how the original was plumbed . . .

20171218_164238.jpg

Backside of the original bracket that was fastened to the axle . . .

20171218_164221.jpg

New replacement plumbing:

20181118_165131.jpg

2. To the best of my memory, :))) those are metric bubble flare. You can buy a tool to do that or buy adapters that will allow you to change from metric to 3/16 inverted flare. You can purchase the bubble flare nuts that are made by Edelmen or similar. You can purchase banjo bolt fittings and find a universal hose to replace the Mustang hose, also.

3. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is there a problem with doing it the way the factory did? You've got the new replacement plumbing which has the short section of rubber hose to account for caliper movement, so all you need now is hard line from each side of the new plumbing to a "T" fitting somewhere near the center of the rear axle, then another section of brake hose to allow for suspension travel, and hard line from there to your proportioning valve (if you're using one) or master cylinder.

Hnstray likes this.
  4. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

Yes, the problem is that I had to shave off the original mount from the axle that the brake caliper hose/line bracket mounted to so I could use parallel leaf springs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

I was wondering if a banjo fitting might aid in a solution. Still puzzled about mounting the flexible hose portion to the solid line on the axle, though.

6. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ah, I see. For my own education, what is the purpose of the circled bracket, and the exhaust pipe style clamp on the axle. Axle1.jpg Axle1.jpg

7. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

That bracket holds the caliper. I was trying to mount the hose bracket to that by making some alterations, reversing them from side to side, etc., but have yet to discover a good solution.

8. Dangerous47

Dangerous47

Ritzy1 when I did this on our 36' roadster I just created a couple small tabs out of 3/16 plate that I welded to the housing to hold the original backet' it looked good and allowed me to use the OEM soft lines..

Hnstray likes this.
  9. Ritzy1

Ritzy1

Any way you've got a picture of that plate you made up? The attached picture shows the original setup, but I had to cut that off to mount the axle to the parallel leaf springs.
    Mustang rear axle pic # 4.jpg