Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tires & the availability of what use to be common sizes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Dammit, the tires I purchased for the rear of the '50 have too much sidewall bulge so I'm going to try removing the lowering blocks and see if that helps, I was trying to fill up the wheel well and it does that but it won't work like it sets now.

If removing the lowering blocks doesn't work I'm going to have to go back to Ed's with my rail between my legs and ask him if I can exchange them for a smaller size. HRP

chryslerfan55 and deadbeat like this.
  2. Yep, fitting oversize rear tires on just about any 50s Ford isn't easy....

I used to own a '56 Ford Club Sedan that I bought from the original purchaser little-old-lady. When I got it, it had F78-15 tires on it which didn't even look close to being the right size, even though that was the supposed 'equivalent' size. But it did have the original 7.10-15 spare (optional oversize from the factory), so when I went looking for new tires I matched to that tire's diameter , not 'size'. I ended up with a 235/75R-15, which was just a tiny bit smaller in diameter. On OEM steel wheels, those tires scraped lightly on both the inner and outer wheelwell under the right conditions.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  3. deadbeat

deadbeat

agree @HOTRODPRIMER . My dilemma exactly. I have had Firestone crossply's on my car for years and they are coming to their end of life unfortunately. Yes I can import new ones from the U.S but with taxes and duty etc it kind of kills it. That said the search continues for a good looking and not bulge tyre in a radial that is tall enough and readily available.

4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

5. Ahh, the GT51 as it’s referred to these days. I believe they run Goodyear tires on it, not sure. Did I mention it’s for sale?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. 16's in what used to be easy sizes are getting hard to find. I am building up a modified 59 Corvette (I know, what am I thinking) I wanted 16x7 front and 16 x10 rear with maybe 275 or 285x45..... only thing available today is one manufacturer and they are "not to be driven in wet weather" and new, only have 4/32 tread. Widest regular tire I can get is 255x50×16. Only 3 people are making those. And just don't want to go to 17 " rear ..... No current 5 spokes match the aesthetic of my old 1 piece cast 16" ET's and Internationals. Two piece wheels just do not visually cut it.

The moral is: now we gotta check tire size availbility before you ante up for the rims.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app