Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Best Top Loader transmission for highway cruising

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 32 Dave, Nov 23, 2018.

1. 32 Dave

32 Dave

I'm looking for opinions on the best top loader transmission for my 32 Ford. I currently have a 42-52 Ford truck 3 speed but it is terrible for cruising. First gear is only good for pulling stumps and it feels like I need to go to 4th gear when I am in 3rd but there ain't no 4th gear or OD.
    I have 59A V8 flathead, open drive shaft and a Winters quick change.

I'd like to keep it somewhat traditional with either a 3 speed with better highway gearing or a 4 speed.

Suggestions?

2. High gear in any old Ford trans is 1 to 1. Cruising speed is exactly the same with a big clunky truck 4 speed or a fresh 39 box with Zephyr gears. The only option is some sort of O/D or a different rear end ratio. If you have a Winters, the solution should be obvious

3. squirrel

squirrel

uh...change the gears in the rearend? you have a quick change, use it!

kadillackid and Pist-n-Broke like this.
  4. 32 Dave

32 Dave

I did , running @3:49 with helical cut gears.

5. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Don't know what numbers you are currently running in your "quickie", but you might want to try a roughly 10% to 15% change to a "friendlier" cruising number. if you currently are running a 4.11 total ratio you might want to go to a 3.70 total, & this will help cure that "stump-puller" 1st gear. Why put in a QC if you don't use it??

6. squirrel

squirrel

try around 3.00 final drive ratio.

If you are pulling stumps in first, and revving too high in high gear, this should help.

But if you think you need more gears between the three you have, then a 4 speed would help.

7. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Just saw your reply! check your gear install : it sounds like the QC change gears need to be reversed as there's NO WAY a 59A with a stock 3spd & a3.49 axle is going to feel like a "stump-puller" in 1st gear!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
    squirrel likes this.
  8. Sounds like you may have a real short rear tire. That's not going to help. Find something around 28"-29" with the 3:00's and take a drive. I actually have 31" tall on mine and highway speed isn't bad at all.
    The Wizzard

9. 32 Dave

32 Dave

I will check the rear gears to make sure they are not in the low gear configuration. That could be the problem.

10. Another option t-170 from 84-87 Ford pickup or t-5.

11. I have a similar setup, with 59AB, 37 trans and 3.78 banjo rear, that can't run comfortably at 70 mph.

Just picked up one of the 84-87 F150, Tremec T-170 3speed + OD. Floor shift in almost stock location. I also have a T5 4 speed + OD, but don't need the low first gear.

Search on here and Fordbarn under F150. Or T170.
    Several ways to adapt from MEC, McNeil, or using stock Ford truck hogshead.

IMG_3201.JPG
    IMG_3202.JPG

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  12. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'd agree...the RTS-170 might be a good choice, but unless you're more fortunate than I was it might take some time to find one. It took me about a year to find one with the 26.7% overdrive I was wanting to put behind a Model A 4-Banger. With 3.75-ish gears that puts you really close to a 3.00 final.

My 2nd choice would have been a T-5 that I already had, and almost decided that was the route I'd likely end up taking, but by comparison the shifter position of the RTS-170 is just so "right".

If you go T-5 you'll probably want the more forward shifter position that was used in S-10 pickups. Camaro version shifters are way back on the tailshaft housing.

Lynn

barrnone50 likes this.
  13. I lucked out finding one in only a couple of months. The ONLY local one was the wrong ratios and had been sitting out with the speedo hole open. I stumbled across one on Craigslist, but it was in Winston Salem (4 hrs) and didn't have a phone number. I posted some of the guy's flathead stuff on here and voila', got a phone number. Worked out the deal and a road trip later I was the proud owner! Praise the power of the HAMB!
    I'm going to hang on to the T5 for my 33 coupe.
    Keep looking!!

14. I like the OD versions