Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical How to mount this seat?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model-A-Bomb, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Model-A-Bomb

Model-A-Bomb
    from Orlando,FL

Hey everyone, I am having a tough time mounting my seat in my car. I have a 56 Ford Courier and when I bought it, the car had newer style high back buckets in it. Nothing wrong with that, it’s just not my style. I tracked down and bought a bench seat out of a 55 Ford Fairlane assuming they’re interchangeable. The problem is, I can’t seem to find a way to mount the seat. None of the holes line up in the back and there are no holes in the front bracket to mount them. Can someone show me how to properly and safely mount the front of the seat? From there I can drill holes for the rear bracket, thank you everyone. Pics posted below for reference.

Attached Files:

2. That's not a Ford seat.... sorry...

The rear mounting bolts are supposed to be one on each side that goes through the body and frame both for a solid anchor. Locate those, and where the front mounting bolts go will be shown by the seat tracks. Those tracks on yours are not '55-56 Ford, and the seat doesn't look quite right either. Now, being yours is a Courier and probably only had a single bucket seat, you may not have the right holes or at least all of them in the floorpan for a bench seat.

Check out this thread.... https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...r-1955-ford-customline.1130013/#post-12833727
    He's currently got his seat out, if you ask he could post some pics of the seat tracks and floor mount locations. Ask for a pic of the underneath so you can see where the tracks pick up the frame.

loudbang likes this.
  3. desotot

desotot

I don.t know what kind of a seat that is but those are G.M. seat tracks from approximately 1955 -1957.

4. Yeah, I could tell they weren't Ford but who pays attention to seat tracks?...

I'd acquire a set of '55-56 Ford tracks and adapt them to the seat he has, that should be much simpler than butchering the floor and maybe not attaching to something that'll keep the seat in place in case of an accident.

RMONTY likes this.

5. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

You have a Chevy seat . If you want to use it the front needs u brackets that th0se slide into. Or weld on new mounting tabs and drill to suit. It could be other GM . 53 to 57

dan31 likes this.
  6. Model-A-Bomb

Model-A-Bomb
    from Orlando,FL

Is this the front seat bracket I need to install this bench in my car? Looks like the front forks on my seat slide under this bracket which bolts to the floor?

Attached Files:

7. Model-A-Bomb

Model-A-Bomb
    from Orlando,FL

Is this the bracket I need?

Attached Files:

8. dan31

dan31

Looks like the front seat in my 54' chevy. Not sure if bracket for 55-57 is the same or not as the 54 but it looks the same. It's a pretty safe bet thats the one you need. Don't know if you have the front seat side covers or not but you may be able to source them from National Chevy Association-they sell used parts also.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  9. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Yes that's them. If I could see the arm on the seat back I could identify the year better

10. Model-A-Bomb

Model-A-Bomb
    from Orlando,FL

Hope this helps! I think it’s a 53/4 chevy

Attached Files:

11. oldsman41

oldsman41

If you weld you can get under the car and weld in something to bolt up to. The seat is nice but the courier only came with one seat for the driver only.

12. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

What I meant was where the backrest pivots