Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My first hot rod build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by M.Niko, Oct 19, 2018.

1. :confused:
    Man, if you haven't got time to click a few buttons to buy a book online, you are in trouble.

The book will help you understand wtf you are getting into, so you can ask intelligent questions. I would have thought an overall understanding of the subject would be a good idea, which you would get from the Tardel/Bishop book.

2. I think that’s a great idea. Modifying and maintaining it will be more than enough work for your introduction into this hobby. That’s more like a $20k car really.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. embyman68

embyman68

The car you've shown was built by a good friend of mine. As others have speculated, it is a 26-27 model T Touring on a model A frame with a small block Chevy and th350 automatic. I can round up some more pictures later after work.

4. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

If you don’t have the time to buy a book and read it you definitely don’t have time to build a car. Takes hundreds to thousands of hours.
    SPark

Frankie47 likes this.
  5. Dirk35

Dirk35

You're omitting a lot of necessary information. Start by telling us where you are located and what kind of tools and shop access you have, also what kind of mechanical background you have.

For example, If you're a young college student and live in a apartment complex and don't own any tools, we will recommend that you buy a prebuilt vehicle. But (for example) if you're Gene Winfield's or Chip Foose's son and have full access to a Hot Rod Shop, then it would be different recommendations.

Also, if you provide your location, you can ask to link up with a local hot rodder and most of us would be more than happy to help a new guy get started by giving good instruction.

6. deucemac

deucemac

Have you tried Model T Heaven? They have piles of stuff. Do a Google search

7. M.Niko

M.Niko

I'd Love more photos
    I am a college student living in an apartment complex. No Garage Yet or Tools. I am moving to a place with dual garage after winter. I Live In North NJ.
    I have. they have two tubs for sale but very very rusted.

8. All of the advice given here is the dead honest truth - take it.

I am quite deep into my first solo build (I handed a lot of wrenches to my dad as a youngster) and three years in I still have a long way to go and a lot more money to spend.

The best advice is to read, before you go out buying cars or parts, most of your time should be spent reading. If not the suggested book, search and read this forum. You've posted in a traditional hot rod forum, and if a traditional rod is what you're after then as a newcomer think of it as a craft that you have to study. The nice thing is that if you genuinely want to know more and ask a lot of questions nearly everyone that you come across here will be willing to guide and give you sound advice.

If my present day self could give my pre-build self any advice before starting my build, it would be to take a lot more time in carefully planning every detail of the build, the style, engine, suspension, method in etc before spending a cent on it. There is no quick fix here - you have to put the time in.

If you're not up to going through the process of planning and building your own rod, your best bet would be to buy a finished one as suggested above - that '26 Tourer looks like a great deal.

Good luck! Graham

clunker likes this.
  9. M.Niko

M.Niko

Honestly I may have gotten over my head a bit, I am 90% sure that I am going to buy this Model T
    https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/d/1926-ford-model-period-hot/6722197510.html
    It's a start. I might want to do some minor changes but at least I have a platform to work on.
    Eventually I'll do a Build from scratch but today isnt that day.

clunker likes this.
  10. I think that is a good idea - you will then have owned a hot rod and gained a good idea of what goes into them, how they drive etc. Once you have it, all the information you could ever want about making changes can be found here.

Cheers!

11. Are you a car guy or do you just want an accessory to go along with your fandom of the TV show?
    Seriously, this is not like buying concert merch or dressing up for Comic Con.
    You've had the advice, good luck.

12. M.Niko

M.Niko

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/cto/d/1926-ford-model-period-hot/6722197510.html
    How does the transmission in these work?

F&J likes this.
  13. goldmountain

goldmountain

If you buy that car, the first thing I would suggest is find a garage to rent to store it in. These things don't lock up well nor do they weather well when they fill up with snow.

14. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

At 6'4'' sit in one before you buy. It may change your mind.

15. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Seriously if you don't have time to buy a book, you don't have time to build a hotrod. Enthusiasm is great but consider all cost and things such as where you will build it, skill level, tools needed. That's where you start. Wealth of info here with a little digging.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    X38 and ratamahata like this.
  16. redoxide

redoxide

Im 6'6 I can only drive my buddies 27 T when the seat is out and I sit directly on the floor..

If you dont have time to read the books, then finding the time to build a car is a non starter.. Remember these cars need more maintenance than your average daily hack, especially a flathead .. If you dont have any mechanical knowledge I would advise to stay clear of this hobby.. It is what it is, a throwback to the days when folk had to do shit for themself..

X38 likes this.
  17. May be would contact a Model A club in the area... maybe had some extra parts (frame) for the build...

Sent from my Mi A1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. F&J

F&J

The ad on C/L says: .."refabricated front seat to allow for 6 foot plus drivers"

The one on C/L? it is most likely a Ford flathead 3 speed. First gear is non syncro, so you need to come to a full stop to get into first, no big deal. 3rd gear is direct so non overdrive. Simple basic trans.

If that car is as good as the ad hints...you can't go wrong at a tick under $10K. You may get buried and give up if you try to build one for yourself with no experience of local friends to guide you...and the tools!

There is no shame or drama if you buy one, rather than build your own. Either you are hooked on rods, or you aren't.

goldmountain likes this.
  19. Latigo

Latigo

Without tools or experience that T touring is the way to go.
    In the meantime, go to Speedway Motors web site and order their free catalog. You can price your car out piece by piece. Don't think they offer a tub but other styles are available for price comparison. Full color photos make it an enjoyable dreambook even if you don't buy a thing.