Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical flathead v8 in 37 plymouth

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by SuperKONR, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Los_Control

Los_Control
    from TX

I sure like your idea ... well kinda, I actually like the mopar 6.
    Same time I sure love them flathead fords.

Seems to me, everybody that has replied to this thread, secretly wishes they had a mopar and not a ford.
    I have a mopar and love flathead v8's, no plan to mix them :p

Do what you want, I hope you post pics as you go. The steering box always seems to be a issue, and always ways around it.
    With pics, people could offer advise.
    With the current replies, we can all sleep well tonight knowing how superior the mopar 6 is over the ford v8.

SuperKONR likes this.
  2. 4woody

4woody

Cavalier rack is a common solution on old Mopar with clearance problems.

3. SuperKONR

SuperKONR

I like the mopar 6 as much as anybody. I have a Desoto with the original 6. Since there's not much of this Plymouth to start with I figure it's a good candidate to build a hot rod. Car is scrap otherwise.
    There's no way to get pictures of the situation, everything is apart so I can straighten the frame. Was just trying to do some homework beforehand while waiting. A few other people on here gave me some ideas using truck steering boxes so will start in that direction.
    Yeah no shit!
    Thanks

4. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I have been pondering on how to mount a gen 1 Hemi in my 1936 Dodge. One solution is to utilize a manual steering box(late Mopar) and use a exterior mounted pitman arm. There is a HAMBer here that makes them.

Then use a Ford front end with a transverse spring. I have a feeling that you will get your build further along as I have to wait to get my workshop built. Once the building is up, I will be able to start the build and take pictures...

I will post the HAMBer's info...

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

SuperKONR likes this.
  5. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

6. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

7. SuperKONR

SuperKONR

What kind of late mopar are we talking for the box? I'm sure I could figure out linkages to make it work with the stock front end. The other two I've heard about are F1 truck boxes and 47-54 Chev truck boxes re-mounted on top of the frame rail. As many cars as I have going at once you might beat me to it. Good luck on your shop

8. SuperKONR

SuperKONR

9. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Fourspd2quad uses a Mopar Manual box for his steering kit. They are cheap and plentiful. These things were used in Valiants, Darts, Lancers, and other A bodies up until 1976. And in Coronets, Polaras and other B Bodies into the 1970's. From the early 1960''s until the mid 1970's these boxes were virtually unchanged. They made some T/A versions in 1970-1971 with a tight ratio, but good luck finding one of those...

I now have the two boxes I need, the next step is to buy his kits and pick which blisters that I want to use to get the look I want from Fourspd2quad.

10. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

With my Hemi's, a hood won't even fit. So that is the only possible way that I can think of getting around my big engine and have steering. Cobbled up universal joints won't cut it for me...

Atwater Mike likes this.
  11. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

Hood sides... I should say...

12. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The problem is steering box clearance as the car was designed for a skinny straight six. A Chev V8 will squeeze in and so will a Dodge 360 with a little phenageling like offsetting the engine to the right.

The Ford is pretty narrow it might just go in, and it would look good in there. Some people might not even spot the difference.

Atwater Mike and SuperKONR like this.
  13. I’ve never seen a 225 slant six diesel before.....in fact never even heard of one....would have to see one to believe it!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was no slant.

The engine in question was a Chrysler joint-venture with Nissan that resulted in a marine version of the 3.3l Nissan IDI SD 33. I have only ever seen these in Bayliners. I should re-state, I have only ever seen them being removed from Bayliners, to be replaced by something else.

If I remember, this brick managed just 90hp, and just a little more torque, all while flexing the crap out of a 4-main crank.

15. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

The steering box can be a problem. Mother Mopar solved the problem in A and B bodies cars by offsetting the engine to the right by two inches. No reason why it wouldn't work on an older design. The engine mounts might pose some problems as the Chrysler design mounted the front in a suspending bracket and the rear by a cross member at the rear of the bell housing. Don't know what trans you will be using but if is one that needs it own cross member in a different location, you will need to deal with that also. You will also need to mount a Ford style radiator to accommodate the v8 cooling needs. You will probably need to fab exhaust header for the drivers side if you can work out the steering box interference. It would be weird but if it keeps an old Plymouth on the road I say do it up.

SuperKONR likes this.
  16. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I believe that was the same basic engine optionally available in IH Scouts in the late '70's. We traded for one once and the only thing slower than it's acceleration was it's resale! It was also the only one I have ever seen.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Clay Belt likes this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As far as I understand, that's much the same boat anchor.

18. That makes way more sense, I knew there was no slant six diesel. Sounds very much like the Mitsubishi Dodge used in the truck briefly. Made a whole 100 hp.

19. oldsman41

oldsman41

Don’t get me wrong i love flattys, own a 51 merc flathead. But if i was going to build the car you would do better with a 273 v8 or 318 or 340 just as much fab work but way easier to find parts for.this is only an opinion and it is your car time and money.

Hnstray likes this.
  20. SuperKONR

SuperKONR

I could also use a chevy 350

21. SuperKONR

SuperKONR

I'm using a toploader transmission. It uses it's own crossmember, but I'm toying with the idea of making mounts off of the bellhousing and using the original crossmember. I'm planning on having to make the exhaust from scratch, as long as there is enough room to work with I'm not too worried about that part. Another vote for offsetting the engine, I will definitely see if that is possible. Thanks

22. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

You could also use a ....blah blah blah..Keep posting what your doing Bro, DIFFERENT is interesting!...does that car ( I'm not a mopar guy!) have a straight axle or independent front suspension ?

Clay Belt likes this.
  23. Being a 37 Plymouth means that it should have a pair of semi elliptic springs and a tubular beam axle, steering box mounts on the top of the frame with a pitman arm and drag link on the outside.......any later model beam axle light truck front end with similar geometry would be a good steering box choice, not sure whether a center steer Cavalier rack or any rack for that matter would be an improvement tho due to issues trying to get a steering shaft to a beam axle mounted rack................any steering box that is used in an early Frod as a side steer unit would probably be worth considering.......and as for a flathead Frod engine, well I can understand your thinking, but not sure whether all the work would generally be worth it.........the front mounts wouldn't be much of a problem but what sort of gearbox setup do you intend to use?............the stock Frod would be doable tho' maybe if using a later gearbox such as a C4 or T5 might offer an easier way to mount in that they both use a "normal" style rubber mount, also using the early frod gearbox means a closed driveline or getting an open drive from a pickup(I think) to mount to the mopar rear end........which means that you now don't have a parking brake as on your 37 Plymouth it existed on the end of the gearbox..........so do you then swap the rear end to one that has a parking brake in the rear drums................not trying to upset the apple cart, hey, I've been rowing against the tide for the past 45yrs, being that I've had a 318 Poly in my 1940 Dodge since 1973, but there are always extra things to consider........anyway as others have said, its your car and your choice and that's a good thing.....how about some pics of the Plymouth, engine or not.....lol...........regards from Sunny South Grafton, Australia, Andy Douglas

24. oldsman41

oldsman41

I was thinking keeping mopar mopar but again its your time and money.

25. No Biggie i once put a 53 Cadillsc v-8 ….In a wheelbarrow.....

SuperKONR, Clay Belt and Hnstray like this.
  26. Reman

Reman
    from Florida

27. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tape measure and a level would seem to come in handy about now;)

28. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Ebbspeed used a reversed Vega box in a 38 Dodge coupe, with a 318 Mopar motor, I'm not sure if 37 Plymouth and 38 Dodge are the same frame but he made it work. He may chime in.....

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Ebbspeed likes this.
  29. Ebbspeed

Ebbspeed

That is true, I used a reversed Vega box, made a bracket to mount it using the existing holes in the frame. The pitman arm is made from the top half of the vega arm, and the bottom half of the original Dodge arm so it works with the original steering. Take care welding the 2 together. The car is stored for the winter, but it's close by if you'd like pictures.

Los_Control likes this.
  30. e z i

e z i

You're more than welcome to come over to my shop and measure the F1 box in my 31, if that will help..

SuperKONR likes this.