Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features My Old Rivi Sells At Auction...

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

@DirtyDan your '64 with the silver interior has to be in my top 10 of Rivieras ever.
    My buddy had a '64 Impala SS with silver interior and from what I remember it's a fairly rare interior color.
    There's something about those mid 60s GM cars with a silver interior that I absolutely love.

DirtyDan likes this.
  2. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan, I was sad when I read the story about why you sold it and I can't believe how inexpensively it sold for at auction. I hope you get another one if you want one.

3. flamingokid

flamingokid

I've owned a few of these and I hope I own a few more. Timeless, classic, and downright sexy, I've always felt right at home in these cars, whether it be dressed up for a night on the town with some good jazz playing or out cruising with a little R&B . This car is the definition of 60s cool.

4. oldsman41

oldsman41

Of all the 60s cars i think the riv is almost custom from the factory.

5. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Damn nice car to go for sooooooooo cheap....

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is one beautiful car. I'd say the lack of under hood detailing cost the seller quite a bit but quite often you just have to have two or three bidders who are really wanting it and have the coin to do it to get the price up.
    I'm another who has wanted one of those since the day they rolled out on the showroom floor and that one is from the year I graduated from High School.

7. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

What do you think of the boat tail Riv?

8. verde742

verde742

to darn B I G like a sting ray on steroids... but some look really good, but HIGH maintenance

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

I should have bought that car. I remember calling and you were in KC for an interview or something....

Sancho likes this.
  10. apenglish64

apenglish64

That price is absolutely ridiculous. I understand in California prices are inflated but I got 16 for my blue 65 that was an older restoration showing a LOT more age than this car and had it's share of problems mechanically and did not have a set of Borranis!!! Especially when you consider that GS 65 Rivieras are selling between 80 and 100k on bring-a-trailer and elsewhere, this was a steal.

@Ryan your car was always an inspiration for my own 65 that I daily drove. The wheels and tires and stance were just right and I hope whoever bought it maintains the vision that your build expressed.

@flamingokid hit the nail right on the head. The Riviera is a car that fits in many worlds and I showed my own at the lowrider events but also drove it to the country club for fancy work events a couple times.

Anyways while I sit around here hoping this comment won't bring me too much lingering seller's remorse... here's a shot of my car, aiming to be as cool as the subject of this thread.

IMG_0717.jpg

11. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

apenglish64 likes this.
  12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Good god man... I'd say you are well on your way.

apenglish64 likes this.
  13. Stooge

Stooge

Admittedly, it takes something special to get me excited about 60's cars, but the '63-65 Rivieras definitely do it for me! Such a great combination of beauty and class all while looking a little different than the herd, and having a sort of sinister/ badass overall look to it. I've been casually looking at ones for sale the last few years, and while it might not be my next car, its one I'd really like to own one day. Yours is a great example of one done absolutely right!

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditto

15. '65 is my favorite year for the Riviera's, GM got it right.
    I had a beautiful black on black '65 I sold years ago..out of the several cars I've owned, it is one of the few I wish I'd kept.
    $16,500? wow, that was way too low.

16. Belair1964

Belair1964
    from Illinois

Something about those old Rivs. Bought mine in 1973 and sold it in 1983. Its still out there somewhere. Non GS dual quad car. Everything except a/c. Still remember the dash plaque said “Custom built for Don McDermott”. I still have the protecto plate. Wish I could find it.

Attached Files:

17. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It´s crazy your ex Riviera didn´t bring more considering what a beautiful car that is... somebody got the deal of a lifetime... I almost sold my 65 Riviera to finance a 40 Ford a friend offered me.... Luckily some OT stuff sold more quickly and I could keep the Riv.
    Herten KKF und Medulin 2014 173.jpg

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  18. metalshapes

metalshapes

That car was damn near perfect.
    All I'd ad would be 4 48IDA Webers, and a 5 speed stick.

James D and Baumi like this.
  19. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

My dad still has the custom built plate from a black 64 he bought new. It will go on the current 64 riv he acquired.

20. There is a straight as a preacher one by me I see at cruise nights, black as night and flawless paint.

21. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ryan...it's been a while, I've been busy, and I haven't kept up. But I remember you telling us a few years ago how you purchased a Riviera and drove it a long ways home...only to find out afterward that one of the tie-rod ends didn't have a nut on it. You hit it with a hammer and it came right out.
    Is this that car?

22. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-11-27_5-23-42.png
    Hey Ryan,

What a nice looking 65 Buick Riviera! That body style was the best that Buick made, ever… We had a connection to this new Riviera in 1963 when my dad decided to upgrade from his 1957 Buick Roadmaster 2 door to this new design Buick. It had A/C, leather, a cool radio and electric seats. We could not get over what a cool car it was.

At the time, it did make the 58 Impala slightly dull in comparison. But, both of us were happy for my dad’s choice in his new Buick. (He kept his Buicks on a rotating 4 year plan…a new one every 4 years. Of course, we immediately drove the 63 Riviera around the cruising grounds for a show piece. (show-off piece !)
    upload_2018-11-27_5-24-48.png
    The last blue 57 Buick Roadmaster, he liked so much, that he kept it for 6 years and then, traded it in for a Spruce Green, 1963 Riviera. Our mom loved that new car, mainly because it was our first family car that had A/C.

Jnaki

upload_2018-11-27_5-25-43.png upload_2018-11-27_5-25-54.png
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/show-me-your-riviera.1028536/#post-11643581

Buick Riviera addendum

During this timeline period 1963-64, I was friends with this girl whose older brother had an old wooden balsa surfboard. We took it to the beach and tried riding it…it was a little shaky compared to our then, modern longboards. But, since I was into surfing as well as hot rods, I wanted to buy that old, historic, balsa wood surfboard.

He wanted Buick wires, but was told by his older friend, that balancing and keeping them aligned was a huge problem. (despite the Buick Skylark wheels that were on my 58 Impala at the time.) So, he opted for the American Torque Thrust 5 spoke wheels. The trade: the 4 wheels for the 9’6” Dale Velzy balsa wood board.

Older thread:

My friend owned a new 1963 black Riviera and wanted to spruce it up. I was able to get a great discount (A race car speed equipment dealer/builder discount from our old speed shop: Precision Racing Engines) on some American Racing 5 spoke mag wheels for him. I drove up to Moon Equipment to pick them up. He wanted to trade me an old Dale Velzy balsa surfboard for these 4 mag wheels. The car looked outstanding and had "that look" for daily driving. It was one of the first street cars with American Mags and this was on his new 1963 Buick Riviera. Was the trade an excellent deal? It sure was...the board is/was a very rare one that rode nicely. It should be in a surf museum, but, it is in a garage in Santa Barbara. I have not seen it since then.

What was the outcome of the trade? The Velzy balsawood board is with my brother’s family. A similar balsa wood, Velzy Surfboard sold for thousands of dollars at a surfboard auction. American Racing 5 spoke wheels can be bought for about $100 each. You be the judge…

23. spiritof67

spiritof67

54delray likes this.
  24. fms427

fms427

Yeah - I sold mine , too. Moved the shop to Tennessee , and had to cull the herd.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

25. Ryan, is that the one you bought up here and drove home with Norm and stopped in Baltimore with? Norm still has his doesn't he?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I went looking for an engine for my 32 and suddenly had two!
    IMG_3864.JPG
    IMG_3873.JPG IMG_3876.JPG I am using the Riviera Gran Sport 425 in my 32.:)
    Plenty of carburation on both cars.;)
    Doing body work on the other one.
    KIMG0272.JPG Hopefully a father and son duo are coming tomorrow to take these babies away!;)
    Probably won't show... it is never that easy.:(

27. old thread, but was thinking about this car today.. I wish I had the dough to have bought it.
    The Borrani Wires and Gold Line Tires.. sat right.. Were are you now ? damn !

28. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

I often wondered what happened to this car too. What is the story with the steering wheel? Just the right bit of custom on this beautiful car.

29. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

30. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Two of my very favorites for distinctive style......Timeless
    65 Riviera
    57 Continental Mark II

lothiandon1940 likes this.