Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Kaiser engine to trany adapter

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by henry's57bbwagon, Nov 21, 2018.

1. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

I am looking to put a 5sp behind my 161 in the HenryJ and found this kit for a 226 Kaiser Jeep. The company said they don't make one for the 161 and I don't have access to a 226 to compare. Would anyone have a 226 lying around I could send some measurements to compare one to the other?

Thanks, Henry

2. squirrel

squirrel

the link to the kit didn't show up.

3. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

4. squirrel

squirrel

does your current bellhousing look like this, where it bolts to the block?

jeep bell.jpg

5. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

That type of adapter cost is so high,if it were me,I'd just do again ,what I did in 1960 to my own Henry J,I put Olds Rocket 88 V8 an its tranny in.

Texas Webb likes this.
  6. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

That looks like a very nice adaptor. Looks similar to a Ford pattern.
    As a retired machinist I could make one but my machinery/ equipment are in storage.
    Here are two shots of the bellhousing.

hj bellhousing.jpg hj bellhousing1.jpg

7. squirrel

squirrel

looks like a different engine.

You could call and ask, too....

Matching our adapter kits with your engine can be tricky. If you are unsure of which kit to purchase for your engine, please call customer service at (763) 767-4480. Bendtsen's Speed Gems

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

There are at least a couple of ways to tackle this conversion. I would expect the original transmission to be a Borg-Warner, probably a T-90, as they were widely used by Kaiser Jeep as well as others in lower power applications. There were many adapters available to couple a different engine to the T-90 (for re-powering Jeep CJ), but not the other way around, to my knowledge.

However, it may be as simple as fabricating (machining) a plate (maybe 3/4" to 1" thick) that bolts to the existing bell housing and is drilled also for the desired trans, likely a BW T-5 with either the Chev or Ford bolt pattern. I realize there would be issues of input shaft length, TO bearing, etc., but probably doable.

The other that comes to mind is using a transmission that has an integral bell housing, like the Aisin AX5 (4 cyl application) or AX15 (big 6 & V8 apps) or the Aisin variations used in many Toyotas. That could be done with a larger adapter plate, in the same manner as Speed Gems's adapter. With luck, that might be done retaining the original Henry J flywheel.

I will also say that, in my experience and opinion, Speed Gems makes excellent quality products.

9. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

They say it is not the same block mount. Don't have one for the 161.

10. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

I think it is a T93
    Here is a kit by Novak that I might copy to adapt my Tremmic.
    https://www.novak-adapt.com/catalog/adapters/engine-to-transmission/willys/kit-1435/

Hnstray likes this.