Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The XO/PP Virginia HAMB Special Is Ready for Bonneville!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TomT, Aug 4, 2018.

1. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unfortunately, shift happens.

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. fatkoop

fatkoop

Tom, congrats to all of you guys on a job well done! Every time we dropped by your pit, everyone was hard at it. I think you guys did great for your rookie year, and hope you will be back in 2019. Rest.

3. Very interested in what happened to your engine. Let's keep in touch. John

chryslerfan55 and D-Russ like this.
  4. @john mullen, depending on you trans needs I have several 4 speeds that I would be glad to donate a good one to the cause for next year.

5. I appreciate the offer Jason but changing to a 4 speed would take a lot of reworking. I have moved the brake pedal over to where the clutch used to be in order for the master cylinder to clear the manifold. Then there is the problem the ford 6 had keeping a flywheel tight at high RPM. Not to mention the scatter shield clearances needed.
    The turbo 350 has a very good transmission ratio that will fit the need of our power band requirements as well as it is a bolt in replacement with exception of a drive shaft change.. I can use the existing shifter by removing a block out plate and have a ready to go 3 speed shifter. Just need to add a manual valve body and bam we are off and running

6. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. Scott_Rod

Scott_Rod

Hey John,
    Would a TH350 with a lockup converter work? It came in the mid 80's Chevys - has a 4 pin plug on the side. I run one in my pickup with a manual switch to lock the converter down when I'm on the highway. Might save some of the converter loss and drop the top end RPM by a few hundred.

8. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Says video unavailable.
    On edit: now video is working. Great stuff, thanks.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  9. Let’s try this again. Bonneville pics and GoPro footage...

10. saltracer

saltracer

So, did you guys figure what was wrong with the motor and what are your plans going forward? Best of luck.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  11. A cracked ring on number four and the oil ring on the same cylinder mistakenly installed upside-down were the culprits. There's also evidence of a small piece of debris from the broken ring getting stuck in the exhaust valve just long enough to hold the valve open and cause contact with the piston.

John is in the process of installing new rings, a valve and a piston as I type this. He's also taking another .030 off the head for a little more compression. On reassembly, the plan is to degree the cam to come on at a lower RPM power band – probably somewhere in the mid 4,000 range.

We will be doing the ECTA event in Arkansas in April, and we'll be back at Speed Week in 2019. Possibly other events.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  12. MP&C

MP&C

Jalopyrama?

lothiandon1940, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  13. I asked John about showing the truck at Jalopyrama this year, especially since this year's feature is race cars. He was interested, but the ECTA meet in Arkansas is also sometime in April. Unfortunately, the dates aren't nailed down yet and they may conflict with the Jalopyrama. Running the truck at the ECTA meet is our priority, so we may have to miss the show.

14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Agree that a run with ECTA as a priority over a show most wholeheartedly. That's what the truck is built for:):cool:

chryslerfan55, D-Russ and saltflats like this.
  15. saltracer

saltracer

might see in April, just one thing to point out, last April it was really cold (like 44 degrees) and there was very little opportunity to make passes because of the inclement weather.

chryslerfan55, D-Russ and loudbang like this.
  16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Saltracer, do you have a link to the ECTA site and/or a date/location in 2019?

17. Here's the ECTA website, but exact dates for April 2019 are not nailed down yet.

https://www.ectamile.com/

18. saltracer

saltracer

checked on Facebook and the guys at the ECTA said they will post the schedule Dec. 1st

19. saltracer

saltracer

This came in an email today:
    2019 schedule
    April 19/20/21
    June 7/8/9
    Sept. 27/28/29

Stogy, D-Russ and loudbang like this.
  20. @john mullen

21. Here's an AWESOME video of the 640 XO/PP Virginia HAMB Special pulling into the Jalopyrama indoor show in Easton, Maryland yesterday. The show this year featured race cars of all kinds and is an invitation only deal, so it is quite an honor to be invited to the show. So big congratulations to @john mullen for building such an outstanding race vehicle. Turn up the volume to truly appreciate how nasty this little ole six banger really is!

P.S. We did the Jalopyrama instead of the ECTA spring meet because we were down to the wire getting the truck back together. We still have additional changes to make before we can compete in LSR events, i.e. swapping out the tailgate and lowering the tonneau.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  22. Saw it at the show............Truly Bad-Ass!!:)

loudbang, Stogy, D-Russ and 1 other person like this.
  23. Saw your truck at Jalopyrama, sorry I didn't get to meet you Dave.

Phil

24. Hi Phil, sorry I missed you. Maybe next time.
    BTW, John Mullen is the owner, builder and crew chief. I'm just the lucky guy that gets to drive.

25. Wore my team shirt today! Someone asked, and said you (them) wouldn't get it...... Now I'm watching this video....Coincidence? LQQKS/SOUNDS Great! Hope you guys had a great time! From out on the left coast here....

D-Russ, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. loudbang

loudbang

Great to see he has it all back together after the improvements and repairs. :)

D-Russ and lothiandon1940 like this.
  27. catdad49

catdad49

Dave, sorry I missed you! Got to meet John and some of the Team, what a Great bunch. Hope for a record this year, that truck is Bad!!!!!! Carp.

28. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Not only looks great but sounds great too.Best wishes for the new season.
    Good luck.have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

29. That idle is to die for....