Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Chrome Shops in Texas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dtwbcs, Nov 19, 2018.

1. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Anybody used Speed&Sport Chrome Shop located in Houston,Texas?

Looking for a reputable chrome shop in Texas; where i won't have to sell my first born-

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

I realize that chrome isn't cheap if done right...

3. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

No problems with harley road king parts I had plated a few years ago, they do great work and stand behind it..

kidcampbell71 and dtwbcs like this.
  4. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Any other shops in texas that are good?

5. I looked for a Texas shop a few years ago, finding none. Ended up sending my stuff to Advanced and got great results.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

6. One recent experience, and would not recommend them.

dtwbcs likes this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well you are in a spot where going to Houston, Austin, Waco or the DFW area is probably about equal. That is a doable one day up and back road trip to drop the pieces off and another one to go pick them up.

8. HunterYJ

HunterYJ
    from Buda Texas

I have had them recommended by a few people. I have seen work from Airline Plating in Houston on a friend's roadster, looked real good.
    http://www.airlinechromeplating.com

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Yes but is there any REPUTABLE chrome shop? I know i am going to spend acouple of thousand dollars or more for show room finish ;so i thought i would ask here.Been searching& asking around locally.Hit&miss results:confused:
    Wanting both bumpers, grill, grill emblem, bumper bullets chromed on my 1958 GMC 1/2ton truck

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  10. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

Make sure they got cyanide copper,acid copper ,watts dull nickel and bright nickel otherwise you risk a less than durable finish.Too many shops only use cyanide copper flash ,bright nickel then chrome it .only good for bird cages and potatoe mashers ! will rust and peel off in quick time .

belair likes this.
  11. No one in USA can top PAULS CHROME....google it....

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. agreed....THE BEST. Pauls Chrome did many parts for an old Chevy pickup i did. Better than factory.

13. belair

belair

I know a guy named Domingo...DONT use him!!

14. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Airline plating wants your wife and first born as a deposit

15. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Confirm the work is actually being done in house locally and not simply being 'ghosted' out to Mexico for the work.
    In Socal, the epa and business environment has seen many awesome plating shops go belly up.
    Consequently, the vacuum has been filled by middlemen that simply take your parts south of the border then return them to you.
    On that note, I seem to recall a recent thread where a HAMBer (in Texas?) reported great results utilizing a Mexican plater.

Another option is to go with new repop bumpers, grille, emblem from LMC. A lot of the Truck and muscle car guys go this route because it's way cheaper than replating original stuff. Then again, it depends on how high a level build you're going for.

belair and HunterYJ like this.
  16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

You can find good chrome plating, I found that good work is expensive, hopefully you're done having kids :D
    While you might not have to give up your first born, you will definitely have to give up your left nut. :D:D
    My choice was Ogden Chrome, ( Obviously not in Texas but they do nice work and pay for shipping in the lower 48) pricey but very nice work.

17. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

I just found Ogden before returning here.They offer 3 grades of work?

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Yes, not much polishing and a quick trip through the tanks. Not very long life but less costly.
    Then there's show chrome which I got.
    Then there's the stuff they do for guys like Kindig and stuff that's going to shows like the GNRS or SEMA etc which is worked and plated and polished till it's flawless.
    The top 2 levels offer a good heavy layer of copper and lots of polishing followed by nickel and then chrome.

Top quality show chrome is labor intensive which translates to expensive.

dtwbcs and HunterYJ like this.
  19. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Not long ago, I made a trade with guy who makes a couple trips a year down there. His end of the deal - have my GMC rocker cover plated … since I was a bit skeptical of what might come back, I sent a straight, but well pitted one with him. Although it took longer than promised, it was even straighter than before & the pitting filled. Plating is brilliant.

dtwbcs likes this.
  20. I’ve used CenTex for years here in Austin. I’ve always had good success with them.

https://centexplating.com/

I’ve got a grill and 2 bumpers there right now matter of fact.

belair and dtwbcs like this.
  21. Agree on Paul's Chrome. Superb.

22. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man asks for info on TEXAS !!!!! chrome shops and the first thing guys throw out is one in Ogden frigging Utah and then another in Evans City, PA Those are a hell of a long drive from College Station unless he is shooting for the Riddler or AMBR.
    At least he actually got two viable suggestions within a couple hundred miles.

dtwbcs likes this.
  23. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

No other recommendations?:)

24. dtwbcs

dtwbcs
    from Brenham,TX

Just looked at "Advanced Plating" website. They had a fire at their facility, so i doubt if they are open ...

25. txcr13

txcr13

These guys are in the north side of Houston. Not as well known as some other shops, but I have been happy with the smaller parts I have had done there, including pot metal. They are not cheap, but are competitive with the better known shops I have found in the Houston area. Like a lot of shops, the facility may not be the most impressive, except I did note their polishing capability appears top notch. They had a number of larger industrial pieces there, with fairly complex configurations, waiting for polish before plating.
    www.custompolishchromeplating.com
    242 Hill Rd
    Hou 77037

Aside from that, one lesson I learned the hard way was on bumper exchange. Did that on my '57 Nomad and the exchange piece I got back looked good on the outside, but backside had pitting. My piece I sent in was very, very solid. Live and learn. If you have a good core, have it plated.
    Good luck.

dtwbcs likes this.
  26. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Here in Dallas alot of guys are using Carlos Plating and Polishing. I've never used them, but I have seen nice work from their shop.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Not recommendations but a couple of options I had business cards for you might look into; Superior Chrome in Houston and North Texas Quality Chrome in Gainesville