Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 39 Lincoln brakes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ModelARon, Nov 19, 2018.

1. ModelARon

ModelARon

I am planing to up grade my non- energizing front drum brakes to self-energizing brakes.
    I found an add ( Wilson Welding & Machine ) they sell new "39" Lincoln brakes. Has any one used this product? Is this the same as the 12" Bendix style ?
    The backing plate looks a little different.

2. Bob Wilson is a straight up guy with a good product,,,call him,you will find this for sure

Andy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

Recently I have had both Wilson and Boling Brothers (MT Products) repro Lincoln style brakes in my hands. I haven't driven either yet though. I can say the Wilson looks a bit more authentic Lincoln-shaped, but the Boling stamping is a little cleaner.

We didn't buy any drums from Wilson (didn't need them for that car), but did buy drums from Boling and they are NICE.

4. ModelARon

ModelARon

5. Andy

Andy

The MT brakes only have two supports for each shoe while Wilsons have three. Maybe holds them straighter as original? I bought the Wilsons.

6. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

This is one product I bought not because of what it is but because of Bob himself.....................................

7. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

I put the MT entire ‘kit’ on my ‘30 roadster. They were pretty much “plug and play” installation. And any questions, were quickly answered.
    Best part is that they work well.
    One thing that I did and would recommend.....install the DOT 5 synthetic brake fluid. You can do this to a NEW uncontaminated system. Do not use with contaminated system. I have not lost any fluid, even tho my ride sits for long periods of time between use Good luck.

8. Garpo

Garpo

Note Dot5 is silicone; Dot 5.1 is synthetic. Dot 5.1 is compatible with Dot 3 and Dot4.
    Dot5 is not , and has compatibility issues with some brake components.
    Anybody considering silicone Dot 5 fluid should spend an hour or two reading up on some of the forums. Not everybody has a good experience with this. No mainstream manufacturer other than one motorcycle maker uses it as o/e. I have seen some strange looking muck come out of brake cylinders where silicone has been used for years. And it is nearly impossible to change back without replacing just about everything.
    Do your homework thoroughly and make your choice.
    Garpo

X38 likes this.
  9. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Yup my bad input.
    It was/is DOT 5....silicone ! In a completely new Lincoln system !