Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1930 Coupster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by [email protected], Jan 16, 2015.

1. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Put a coat of DP sealer on it . The dark sealer red and black will make the colors darker and the white and grey will make them lighter, when you finally pick a color. This is the best coupster I have ever seen. Frank

[email protected] and Stogy like this.
  2. Aaron D.

Aaron D.

Great looking Coupster. What did you use for the tapered exhaust pipes?
    Aaron

Stogy likes this.
  3. Just 2 inch pipe and some exhaust flares from speedway.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

lothiandon1940 and Aaron D. like this.
  4. farmer12

farmer12

5. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

You really nailed with careful planning, great fitting of W/S stanchions, and the cut-and-finish work around the cockpit.
    The seat is another achievement, looks like a Tony Nancy job!
    Very sharp roadster, plus it fits a tall guy!

6. Thank you. My friend Matt Seret did the metal work. He has a shop in Vallejo and does amazing things with metal. I sold the coupster body to a friend after I found an amazing roadster body.

Attached Files:

7. fortynut

fortynut

The '37 pickup/truck grill is a classic solution that goes back to the roots of our hobby. I like. Even if it's been sectioned, or looks like. Don't forget, there were also tubsters done from sedans. The tough sell is the cowl and windsheld, especially the posts. The one that is shown in primer manages the task perfectly, though I have always liked severely chopped windshields and slightly lower seats. Take a look at the lakes racers in Don Montgomery's books for ideas for building stuff
    It makes your brain itch with ideas. The early timers who raced at Muroc and El Mirage built some strange variations on the theme of speed that will knock your socks off for the directness and simplicity they use. And, the wonderful thing about it is the really fast cars used Flatheads primarily and kept pushing the boundaries. They challenge us even, now, to think outside the box and don't take "no" for an answer. If you have a desire to attempt something never done before. Go for it! All success stories have failures as part of it. Those who get there do so because they didn't let a few screwups stop them. As long as you come out alive, the sun comes up tomorrow. Enough already!

[email protected] likes this.
  8. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Best one coupster I have seen in a long time!

9. I passed up on reading this thread for the longest time.....my mistake. I generally don't like the vast majority of Coupsters that I see, but this was one of the all-time best conversions.

10. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

2 comments---I think the primer absorbing comment was based on the look of the primer is like red oxide primer. The other is, can any one explain WHAT they did to the cowl to make the roadster stanchions fit so nice. I'm also curious why you sold the body for a roadster body, after all the great results and the size advantage you achieved. Sure do like the car, one of the nicest coupester set ups I've seen. Bill

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. bct

bct

Looks like 28 29 stanchions nicely grafted on

12. Yes I noticed that if you took 28/29 stanchions and reversed them they were a very similar profile to the Coupe posts. Then you just pie cut them to lean them back to the desired angle. The coupe posts were cut off at door height then a vertical flange was welded in place with two threaded holes that line up with the stanchion fittings. I didn’t originally plan to sell the body but when the roadster body turned up with its original Ford paint and zero rust or patch panels it seemed to good to miss.

flynbrian48 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. IMG_0866.JPG
    My friend is doing a good job of putting it back on the road.

brEad and lothiandon1940 like this.