Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Hey all, potential new '50 Merc owner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nikwho, Nov 20, 2018.

1. nikwho

nikwho

Hello all,
    My name is Nik. I've introduced myself before, but I've been away for a long time, so, here goes.
    I currently own a '59 Chevy Apache and a '68 GMC C15. I'm going to look at a '50 Mercury four door tomorrow and getting really excited! I've long wanted something fro this era. Came very close to buying a '48 Merc four door car, but it didn't run, and the sellers didn't want to help get it running, even though I was told it ran. so, getting closer to owning my old Mercury! While I own my newer 4x4 daily truck/tow vehicle, this would become my new "happy place"! It's got its original (so I'm told) drivetrain and I'd get it as daily driver friendly as possible and drive it on all but the nastiest of days! I hope to be spending more time around here very soon, as I acquire a vehilce more pertinent to this board. I'm sure that I'll have many questions. Here's what I'm going to check out tomorrow. I'll advise if I'm the new owner!

Attached Files:

Aussiepete. and chryslerfan55 like this.
  2. nikwho

nikwho

IMG_20170827_102917_041.jpg IMG_1680.JPG IMG_1680.JPG Here's my current old trucks:

3. nikwho

nikwho

Sorry! Technical difficulties with attachments due to some beers, and a couple of vodka/tonics!

Nik

4. Patrick Crumley

Patrick Crumley

If it's a decent price, I'd buy and drive the hell out of it.

Sent from my moto z3 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

will be watching for update

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Please post how it goes, looks like a nice car. It looks somewhat driveable and almost could be a daily. But you get heavy rain in Flagstaff, so mind those gutters that all the water goes into when purchasing. Maybe as if the the roof and body are watertight? That would be my concern knowing the weather in your area. Now if you have regular old garage for it. well nevermind.

7. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Kool, hope you score it!

Bones

8. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Good luck man!

9. nikwho

nikwho

Thanks everyone! Going to look at it at 2pm. I like the car. Anxious to see how it looks in person. I have a garage stall for it, so that will help with the rain and snow! It's got an old flat head and 3 speed, so, if I acquire it, I'm sure that I'll have lots of questions coming down the pike! If it's anything like the '31 Ford pickup that I've driven with a flat head and 3 speed, the transmission was without syncros and was not the friendliest to drive. I was thinking that perhaps a freshening of the engine and perhaps a World Class T-5 five speed swap might make it a lot more user friendly! I would like to make it something that my wife could drive to get groceries, etc. Anyway, I'll update with news, if anything happens.

Nik

10. Knowing nothing about those 3-speeds, if only 1st is non-synchro it may be okay as is to drive.

11. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Good luck on your buy. Those three speeds are easy to drive and shift. Just takes patience.

12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Be sure to get it up on a lift where you can check out the under carriage and floors for rust - especially the inner rockers and around the door pillars where they meet the floor. Also, look up inside the front fenders in the cowl area and trunk floors. Second photo is a photo of the A-pillar bottom of front doors at frame. This is a common area for rust. First photo shows the outer rocker panel. It's a rectangular sheet metal box that runs from front edge of rear inner fender well and A pillar. It's the long rectangular piece closest to you in the photo. It is hidden by the outer rocker panel but, you can see it easily if you look up under the car. Expensive to replace as I don't think anyone is reproducing them any more. Ask on HAMB. Be sure to lift carpet and examine floors, front and rear.

car#15.jpg IMG_1927 (Small).jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  13. oldsman41

oldsman41

Did you get that merc yet? I’m not a four door person but merc made a very cool four door.

14. Squablow

Squablow

Looks like a nice car. I think the only customizing I would do to that car would require nothing more than screwdrivers. I hope you're able to get it.