Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical frame swap for 1964 Country Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by adamBomb456, Oct 1, 2018.

1. adamBomb456

adamBomb456

I have some pretty bad rust on the frame of my '64 Country Sedan. Does anyone know if the frame is the same for the Galaxie or any other model that might be easier to find as a replacement?
    Thanks

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Hollanders says all 1964 Ford and Mercury full size car models besides Convertible, take the same frame.

low budget likes this.
  3. They may all interchange, but Ford used more than one frame... The lower-line models used the lightest version, the Galaxie sedans a medium version, the hardtops/convertibles the heaviest, with the 'vert getting additional bracing. The wheelbase is the same across all models. The wagons usually used the 'heavy' frame but if Ford followed past practice had changes made in the rear crossmembers for wagon use. If you save the wagon frame bits they can be transferred to the replacement frame if need be. Mercury at the time was trying for better NVH ratings, so I suspect they used the heavy frame across the board.

On the '63-64 Ford full-size 'lightweight' race cars Ford used the low-line 'Custom' frame with the Galaxie body to save weight, but the frames were prone to cracking.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

how do you have a frame that need replacement and a body that is useable?

Kiwi 4d and 117harv like this.
  6. That was my question. I have had a bunch of '64 Fords, one the body was in an advanced state of cancer but the chassis was perfect. It must have been exposed to a lot of water at one time.

7. adamBomb456

adamBomb456

Thanks everyone. @FrozenMerc Holy smokes! great wagon!! That's an inspiration. I will probably have to do something similar. Just checking my options. I am just getting started.
    The body is not perfect either. But I can still drive it with rust in the rockers. The idea is to do some repair to the frame until I can spend the time and money on a complete overhaul. This is my first old car. I just want to drive it and work on it as I go.

One suggestion was to get a new frame. another was to get a new car...But I love this thing. If I come across a car with a matching frame, I might just grab it.
    Here are a couple pics
    rustframe1.JPG rustframe4.JPG rustframe5.JPG 1964GalaxieWagon1.jpg

8. squirrel

squirrel

damn, that frame's been rusty for a while! nice reinforcing job, by someone long ago :)

9. To bad it costs so much to ship a complete frame. Over here we never see anything that bad unless it's been laying flat on the Ground for a couple decades. Stan the Ford man would be a good guy to contact if you could stand the freight. His specialty is 1960-1970 full size Fords. I've spent a lot of $$$ with him.
    The Wizzard

10. FrozenMerc

FrozenMerc

I hate to say it, but with that much frame deterioration, there is going to be no "driving it while I work on it". Bite the bullet, pull the body off, get after it with a torch, welder and grinder, and fix it properly. You have to pull the body for a frame swap anyways. Dealer's choice.

das858 likes this.
  11. adam401

adam401

Here's the best advice anyone's gonna give you. Don't take that car apart. If its driveable then drive it. Too many guys take their first totally driveable old car apart to "fix it up" and it never goes back together.

Just drive it. It held together this long. No matter what anyone tells you don't take that car apart.

RMONTY and squirrel like this.
  12. We had one accident here years ago, a couple of guys get into a wreck with a '57 Chevy. Relatively minor, but between the body rot and frame rot, the body was separated from the chassis. In NY (speaking down-state only) that would not pass an annual inspection at a honest shop.

13. 62rebel

62rebel

Get yourself another frame. That one's toast. Body work is one thing, it can wait while you do repairs; but frames are literally holding all the shit that decides where you go and how you stop. You could still drive it carefully for limited trips but I would NOT do any serious running with a frame that bad. Besides, you can do all the disc brake upgrades and replace worn suspension bushings right out in the open BEFORE slipping the new frame underneath. Not that hard to do a frame swap if you have an engine hoist and some strong and fairly stupid friends.

14. Ok, so I have a question. Above I read that all the full size Galaxie frames are the same, my question is I can get a uhaul tow hitch for a 64 Galaxie full size, would that mean it would also fit my wagon.. that would rock.. anyone?