Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 58 283 rear main seal question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Devon Schevers, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Devon Schevers

Devon Schevers

Sorry in advanced for the dumb question but I reckon my machinist or felpro included the wrong rear main seal for my motor. I'm getting a lot of convoluted information on the web about what rear main seal I SHOULD be using. Just wondering what you 283 guys use. Hamb app isn't letting me upload the pictures I have so if you're wanting to help out I'll pm you the images.

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I use Best Gasket seal 3711X. It replaces the rope seal and I have found it is far better than most of the replacement rubber seals out there.

3. Fordors

Fordors

I built a 301 for a friend years ago based on a ‘57 283 and it used the old style rope seal as did all the 265-283 small blocks from 1955 to 1958.
    I don’t know when they were introduced but there is a neoprene seal conversion kit that can be used in those early blocks. The neoprene seal for a ‘59 and later SBC is not a direct replacement for the early block, the machining is different. If your machinist bought a gasket set that came with the typical neoprene lip seal it will not be correct.

belair likes this.
  4. If it's a rope seal, do some research. Most guys have no clue how to install one correctly.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A rope seal and PCV system is just as good a neoprene.

6. Devon Schevers

Devon Schevers

After more digging I believe I found the proper neoprene seal. I'm one of those guys that don't know how to install rope seals and would rather have the peace of mind using neoprene or something of the likes.

7. Devon Schevers

Devon Schevers

If it wasn't $50 I would use that! I'll see what I decide tomorrow, maybe I can con my machinist into sending me one at discount for the inconvenience

8. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

I would skip going out to dinner a couple of times and buy the 3711x seal. Saves a lot of grief.

belair and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. $50 is a small price to pay for not having to do that job again, maybe even for as long as you own the car.:)

10. Devon Schevers

Devon Schevers

Yeah called my machinist and he agrees. Won't pay for it but oh well, I'll just bite the bullet. Thank you for the info!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. Devon Schevers

Devon Schevers

That's why I was so hesitant on just getting a rope seal and messing it up. I'm going with the 3711x

12. Devon Schevers

Devon Schevers

Also to clarify, it will sit in the same groove just as the rope seal does?

13. squirrel

squirrel