Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects whats it worth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bedwards, Nov 17, 2018.

1. If I was you, I'd buy it.

bedwards likes this.
  2. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A 4dr will never have the persona of a 2dr and certainly can't take claim to the extensive presence in hot rod and custom auto history as the 2dr does. But 4-doors are cool for what they were and are. And in spite of what I said here and in my previous post, I would be tempted at the asking price. $1,800 ?...that would be hard to resist.

3. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

IMHO, conversion to a 2-door would never look right, on any car that has a third side window behind the back door.

4. arthurC3

arthurC3

Don't diss the Dodge. I had a '64 and I miss it.

Sent from my LG-H830 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. slowmotion

slowmotion

That's why you go look at 'em. To make an informed decision for your own benefit. It's the ones that you don't check-out that haunt you. Ya done good IMO, now you know what's needed to make it road worthy. Good job, and thanks for reporting back with your findings.

czuch and Vanness like this.
  6. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

Buy it or tell us where it is

7. 0nedon

0nedon

I've had times like this. What I've did in the past-when I want it but can't justify it. I figure the lowest price I feel I could get for it if I had to bail out and chop that in half-make the offer and walk away if he says no. It has been there for a while so time is in your favor. His ad says make offer so I'd start at half (mabey lower) and see what happens it may surprise you! Even if you buy it and don't do anything with it it is worth something for moveing ect. ect.

8. Squablow

Squablow

That would get eliminated. See this pic of a '56 Chevy I did for my dad. This is how it's done. The roof skin and wheelbase is unaltered.

collage1.JPG

9. Squablow

Squablow

As for the OP, if the car is not for you, let it go. But if you're sure you don't want it, maybe post up the details here for others in your area, maybe some other HAMBer would want to take a crack at it.

As for the offers being suggested, I think it's kind of a dick move to offer a guy half or less of his asking price. A reasonable offer is good, and obviously he's negotiable, but an insult low-ball might be met with a fuck you counteroffer.

Truckdoctor Andy, bondojunkie and F&J like this.
  10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

been callin my Dodge ugly for 30 years, I see no sense in stopping now. 64's are a pretty regular looking car

11. arthurC3

arthurC3

I had a 440 Custom. A very blingy dash with a bland exterior. I have not seen another one. I never met a NAPA dude who believed the model name had nothing to do with the engine size. Glad to hear you still have your "ugly" car.

Sent from my LG-H830 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Had a 61 Monarch 4 door , given to me , beautiful low mileage car , in storage since 1972 .Guy was a mechanic and greased all the chrome on the car , wrapped rags soaked in grease on all the tie rods , univeral joints etc .
    Put a battery and new tires on it and drove it for a whole summer .Was offered a ridiculous price for it and let it go .....
    I have had many cars and this old 4 door is the only one I have sellers remorse over ...
    It drove and handled like a cadillac
    and I loved the ease of 4 doors
    Whoed of thought !!!!!

williebill and F&J like this.
  13. Man! I would love to do a two conversion, Great job!

14. jimmy959

jimmy959

This is the reason I'd buy it (just have to imagine it without the Fairlane trim).
    57 fairlane.jpg

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    1949*john likes this.
  15. jimmy959

jimmy959

More like this....
    57 custom.jpg

1949*john and chevy57dude like this.
  16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

17. bedwards

bedwards

Still toying with getting it. Wife says geaux for it. If I don't this weekend, will post the add. BamaMav knows where it is.

craig b blue and chevy57dude like this.
  18. ^See what I mean about blackwalls? Perfect!

19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I just saw the same CL ad as you bedwards. I know the general location, but not exactly where it's at. If it weren't a 4 door and if I wasn't broke right now, I'd be interested in it, but it's not in the cards for me right now. I looked at a 56 Chevy 2 door last weekend, but doubt I'll be able to do anything with it either. I'd need to sell my OT 88 F Bird first or do some trading, and I'm not comfortable enough with the 56 to do that. Too much work needed, and my time and money is pretty limited right now. I can't even find the time and money to finish my Lincoln, sure don't need to drag home another project right now!

20. Found the ad. I'm just not into having a car shipped up to NY right now and winter is coming. It would make a great shine runner tribute car or a hellacious sleeper.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  21. As I've said before: "A 4 door is like a big girl. A guy could have a lot of fun with both but would never admit it" ;)

Cosmo49, upspirate and bedwards like this.
  22. HotrodHR

HotrodHR

23. 390, 3 on the tree, black walls, widen the stock wheels, dog dish hubcaps, I’d cruise the s$&t out of it!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Cosmo49 likes this.
  24. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

25. bedwards

bedwards

26. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Go get that 2-door that HotrodHR posted!!!
    If it wasn't 5 states away, I'd be looking at it.
    Always kinda wanted a '57 Ford.............2 door! lol

27. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

...especially a 2-door hardtop...

28. @bedwards -
    Guess you aren't feelin' it. Good on you for having the restraint to not buy it. Speaking for myself only, I have no such self control.

bedwards likes this.
  29. bedwards

bedwards

Well, I had to buy a new truck a month and a half ago and if it weren't Christmas and we're tight right now, I'd have sprung for it.

30. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Somethin' even better down the road, I'm sure.