Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods school me on this 303 rocket engine $3,800????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by paintman27, Nov 19, 2018.

1. paintman27

paintman27
    from new jersey

2. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He should have accepted that offer.

Texas Webb, LOU WELLS, belair and 5 others like this.
  3. Deuces

Deuces

2 words: walk away!

Texas Webb and LOU WELLS like this.
  4. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

one to many zeros

Hnstray likes this.

5. Squablow

Squablow

That seems very high to me. Early Olds' are desirable and worth some money but that price seems like the price for a freshly rebuilt one, or one with a lot of early speed parts on it. "Running good when pulled, low miles" is a pretty big leap of faith.

48fordnut, Hnstray and Atwater Mike like this.
  6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make a realistic offer and wait it out. Call his bluff. It's likely worth about $1,200 as there's a trans and it looks complete. My guess is you'll get a call in about 2 weeks.

dan griffin likes this.
  7. Dude is delusional......................If he really turned down 3800, he is a fool.

8. oldsman41

oldsman41

I’m thinking a thousand bucks but i would still like to see it running first.

craig b blue likes this.
  9. In todays market low miles means around 100K. In the 50's 100K ment totally used up. Says pulled it out Many Years ago when the car had no value. That could mean 1970's. If it's been on the Floor for 50 years and not turned, even it a heated garage it's just parts, not a running motor. At best it's just a Shot in the Dark. I wouldn't make any deal till I could at least rotate the motor by hand 4 full rotations. If it won't do that, it's a Core.
    The Wizzard

1959Nomad and 49ratfink like this.
  10. To an actual restorer, it may be worth that much...

jimmy six likes this.
  11. indyjps

indyjps

Huh, I didnt know New Jersey marijuana legalization passed.

Jet96, Texas Webb, RMONTY and 3 others like this.
  12. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

to much. its going to need some work ,more than likely.

13. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well if someone offered 3800 and he turned it down there were more than one fool in the room.
    I'm thinking the 1000 /1200 is about right for it as an unknown quantity that is complete with all the original pieces that a restorer might want. That's figuring you are probably going to put at least 3k into the engine and trans to bring it back up to snuff though.

Hnstray likes this.
  15. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

For $3800 I've seen crappy to decent 4 door cars surrounding this kind of drivetrain. I think 1/3 of that asking is too much...

craig b blue likes this.
  16. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

No, untouched means wore out sludge lump. I just sold a complete core with a 3 deuce and 4bbl manifold for $250. The reason I sold it is I bought a motor and trans from Ross Racing, can hardly wait!!!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    bchctybob and dan griffin like this.
  17. At the most this is still considered a core and will have to be completely gone though, even the turtle and hydra-matic.
    $1500

18. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A couple of years ago, I bought a complete rebuilt '51 303 Olds for $2000. It has an Offenhauser dual quad intake and a set of Gotha adjustable rocker arms. I pulled the rocker covers, intake and valley cover, and it was indeed a fresh engine with an Iskendarian cam. When I get back from Florida next spring, I am going to mount it on my test stand and fire it up and see where I am. Oh yeah, I'd sell it for $3800.

BTW, I have a stick flywheel and adapters to both early and late Ford transmissions.

Hnstray likes this.
  19. dan griffin

dan griffin

I don"t know what he is smoking but it must be some good stuff.

Texas Webb and Deuces like this.
  20. If I can’t hear it run I have to consider it a core, I feel it’s way to high

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

XXL__ and nochop like this.
  21. I've torn down a lot of those engines in the last 60 years. I never saw one that didn't have a substantial ridge at the top of the bore.Lots of them were driven by old folks that never got them above 2000 rpm. Seen a few blow up when some kid got one and revved it up to 4000. It's a core, plain and simple.

22. 3800 for an old, sitting, rusted engine and trans?!?

Wow I got some beach front property in the Everglades to sell ya.

23. I bought this '50 303 with 3 spd manual transmission with steering column this spring for less than a third of that.
    It came out of a restored car, runs great, good oil pressure, and no smoke.
    IMG_2729.JPG

24. Deuces

Deuces

I wouldn't pay more than 100.00 bucks for that rusted beater.... Even if it did turn over.....

25. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

$300 would be my offer, an Olds is a Windsor is a LA insofar as I am concerned. An engine is an engine, and that seems to be a core unless you can turn it over yourself by hand. Then, $500 unless you can fire it up. $1k if it runs well, $500-700 if it runs poorly.

saltracer219 likes this.
  26. sunbeam

sunbeam

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  27. bigboy308

bigboy308
    from Merlin, OR

Can someone school me?
    Is that transmission an early "single range" Hydramatic? Isn't a Dual Range much more desirable?
    Anybody still around to overhaul the early Hydros? My trans guy just turned 90+ years old and doesn't work on them anymore!!

28. My 53 Olds came with a dual range Hydramatic, but make certain that you know what the transmission looks like, because the Hydramatic plant burned down and a lot of 53 engines were supplied with the Dynaflow pos.
    Bob

29. 34fordjay

34fordjay
    from Mass USA

He should have taken that offer!

30. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Calling bullshit on his turned down offer

48fordnut, Sporty45 and belair like this.