Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1950's Hot Rod Club - North Alabama History

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by loosewheel, Nov 16, 2018.

1. I am a member of a Hot Rod, Racing & Custom group on FB. The group is mainly for car enthusiasts who have been around the North Alabama area for the last half century or so. Several posting were made the last few days that I thought I'd share with my HAMB brethren.
    The Coachmen were apparently one of the first Hot Rod clubs in this area. They were formed in the late 50's and was one of the clubs inspired by and in support of the NHRA. These are photos of the then Presidents roadster and shots of other members cars. If more are posted I will share them as well.
    Enjoy...

coachmen book.png coachmen9.png coachmen8.png coachmen10.png coachmen 5.png coachmen 6.png coachmen7.png

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  2. These photos are from a show the Coachmen held at the local armory in 1959 or 1960 showing a insane inline twin engine Coupe!!
    coachmen 1.png coachmen 2.png coachmen 3.png coachmen 4.png

3. The Coachmen Handbook (apparently it was heavily influenced by NHRA)
    coachmen book.png coachmen book1.png coachmen book2.png coachmen book4.png

catdad49, s55mercury66 and Stogy like this.
  4. Hey, thats cool. That was before I moved here. I didn't know there was any hot rod enthusiasts in this area back then. I wonder if any members are still kicking.

Stogy likes this.

5. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Thanks buddy.And no I was not at that car show!!!!

Stogy and loosewheel like this.
  6. Yes Don. If you know Charles Malone, he was in the club. Ronald Reed (R&R Speed Shop) and Pete Moon... that's him with his Bean Bandit roadster. Cecil Hicks from Arab, Pat Gray and Sam Keith were also members and I think they are all still around.

catdad49, 47ragtop and Stogy like this.
  7. Holy shit that roadster! Wow!

Stogy and loosewheel like this.
  8. F&J

F&J

holy shit those yellow tow vehicles! the Truck, the 55 wagon, and a yellow Nomad hiding behind that wagon... and the 56 Nomad, and ... the heavy channeled 32 5W up on blocks..and...

9. I know.... very cool & radical cars. This area is not a mecca for cool cars, so it was surprising to me. Lived here all my life, been pretty involved in the hobby since the mid-80's and never knew about any of these.

Stogy likes this.
  10. Yes all of that! I saved every one of those pics!

Stogy likes this.
  11. A few more vintage photos posted over the weekend. Not sure if these were members of the Coachmen or not, but both of these were Huntsville Hot Rods in the early 60's. Both were also supposedly daily drivers!! The black pickup had a J2 Olds engine.
    coachmen12.png coachmen11.png coachmen14.png coachmen15.png coachmen16.png coachmen13.png

catdad49, cactus1, bowie and 3 others like this.
  12. 59ab

59ab

I am an old member. I left Huntsville in 1959 but came back in the early sixties.
    Eddie Gannaway.

seadog, catdad49, cactus1 and 3 others like this.
  13. fortynut

fortynut

Northern Alabama has always been full of hot rodders with a keen appreciation for the finer things in life: fast cars, moonshine and music. I have been told many tales from the past by my good friend, Kelly Mann. Several cars built in the Shoals, and those from a well-known known builder in Decatur have gotten national exposure in Street Rodder Magazine, as feature cars. So, this bug for hot rods has been around for some time, with Bennett Racing, a buider of performance Ford engines in Haleyville, and a scattering of drag racers who compete at the highest levels of the sport, as well as an ongoing interest and participation in round track racing, we are a state full of hot Rodding to this day. And, I must tip my hat to the post by loosewhell for his history lesson on the Coachmen, HRC, Huntsville. Well done, and thanks a bushel!

catdad49 and loosewheel like this.
  14. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@loosewheel, thanks very much for sharing these...with the Hamb

Thanks also to the membership within your group and any former members of the Coachmen Hotrod Club for making this sharing of history possible.

It is very awe inspiring stuff indeed. Please continue to update us with anything you feel relevant and I have to say you have a Serious handle on what is...;)

15. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Thanks buddy! Maybe we need to figure out a way to place an add online/newspaper for other pics.

16. Bruce.... the FB page I'm getting these from has a lot of the right people from the area on it. They are very active with posting historical as well as current content regarding all things hot rod. As people post I will continue to add to this thread. Glad so many others are enjoying this.

catdad49 and Stogy like this.
  17. oldgoatchev

oldgoatchev

We too stubborn to quit kickin! Charles M.

catdad49 likes this.
  18. 6sally6

6sally6

Is 'Huntsville Engines' still in business?!! If so I bet they would be a good source of info about hot rod clubs of the past.
    6sally6

19. Edwin James

Edwin James

Not sure if this page is still active, but a couple buddies and myself are trying to bring back the Huntsville coachmen car club. We have a active face book page please take a look Coachman CC Huntsville

20. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

doing a good job so far!!!

21. Well apparently it is private and you can't take a look without joining first.