Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical forged from what ??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by land, Nov 17, 2018.

1. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

005.JPG

loudbang, lurker mick and land like this.
  2. Garpo

Garpo

Here in new Zealand the vehicle certification guys got involved after a couple of axle breakages. They have developed a non destructive test for quality that all of these axles must pass in order to get your car approved for road use.
    Axles are stamped with a serial number on passing inspection. Peace of mind for the car owner, knowing his car will be safe. System seems to work well.
    Garpo

ottoman likes this.
  3. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

The rationale behind billet is eminently sound. Machining is how you make a part when the numbers you envisage don't justify tooling etc. for other techniques. The resulting part has a distinct look, and if the part is visible the look gets associated with the process and that says bespoke, not mass produced.

Soon, of course, people begin to miss the implications of the process and it just becomes a fashion. Then "billet look" parts with no machining get mass-produced, and all the didactic aspect of the thing goes to pieces. And then some of us get the feeling that something about the whole phenomenon is off, hence the current anti-billet sentiment.

In as far as hot rodders have a task in developing new technologies it should be all about making bespoke stuff affordable. Machined billet has to be part of that.

NashRodMan, blowby and Hnstray like this.
  4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Who the hell actually uses the word " didactic" ??

5. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Nedd does.... LOL!

Black Fifty, Ned Ludd and Hnstray like this.
  6. pitman

pitman

Nedd bespeaks his mind! :)

7. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I think " cast billet' is a misnomer for a cast aluminum piece that has been polished to the point where it looks like a piece of shiny billet aluminum

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Careful of the word police! Back in the '60s Hot Rod Magazine tech articles used "big" words..I would relay the article to friends in school using those words and no one would know what I was talking about! My English teacher over heard me one day and the reaction of the kid I was talking to..He handed me a pocket dictionary.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Seb
    I too had to look up "didactic".
    It was never used within my pay scale of hoodlums!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’m of the firm conviction (in other words I believe) that people who use words that they know are not commonly used or understood are simply trying their best to say hey look at me.
    Look how smart I am, I’m way smarter than you because I can use all these big fancy words.:p

All I can say is hey look at the big brain on you :D:D
    Seriously spare us the displays of your perceived superiority Nedd.

E5F0BCB9-D6A2-4585-8DD4-3842C02F8781.jpeg

11. patsurf

patsurf

for christ's sake-he's from africa,speaking and spelling better than us-lighten up and be impressed!

metlmunchr and Hnstray like this.
  12. This may surprise you, but they speak English in South Africa.

gimpyshotrods and Steve Ray like this.
  13. land

land

lol ...looks like Ned can stir up a hornets nest! makes for some interesting conversation.
    Talking billet, I envision banks of CNC machining centers running programs made by engineers/programmers etc. Translation "big bucks" Impressive parts indeed!
    But a hot rod is basically a step back in time. Billet is now. In my opinion the billet stuff doesn't quite look right on the old hot rod.

DennieC likes this.
  14. What was the question?

land and blowby like this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Back when my dad still worked at the Renton Wa Boeing plant one of the fun things when I went over to visit was a trip to the Boeing Surplus store. That was right at the start of the billet part thing when guys could run down and buy a 40 lb block of aluminum or even a block of titanium for a machining project for not a lot more than scrap price. Somewhere out in one of the sheds I still have a pair of two or so inch thick by 8 inch round disks that were probably the centers of holes cut in a piece. that my son picked out.
    On the strength of forged axles. Somewhere out in my boxes of old photos there are some of my 48 when it got hit around 1975 bending the right side of the front axle back about 90 degrees and breaking the spring. No cracks in that axle when we pulled it off and replaced it.
    I've got a forged SoCal dropped axle for my 31 Vic and it is a stout looking piece. Picked it up off Ebay from a seller who had drug it around to shows as a display unit for several years and they said it showed wear from handling. The box shows a lot of wear but the axle looks great.

16. DennieC

DennieC

Yes, same origins. Iron is an element. Steel is an alloy of iron made by adding around 3% carbon. Add chromium to steel and you get stainless steel. Add nickel to stainless and you get magnetic stainless steel. Add chromium and molybdenum to steel and you get piton metal and dragster frame metal. Forged chrome moly steel would make the strongest axles not counting titanium.

Hnstray likes this.
  17. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To the OP question, grade 1018 steel is NOT cast. That designation is for a low carbon, low alloy grade, made by re-rolling steel billets. But it is ductile and will forge quite easily. I would question its use in axles, as the strength is fairly low.

Hnstray likes this.
  18. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I listened to or read about that surplus store for years and just salivated every time.
    I don't think Boeing Portland had a surplus store, at least I had never heard about it.
    I for sure would have been a regular customer, luckily, working where I did we could buy odds and ends or some days bring a LARGE lunch pail to work.

19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

And how is society benefited by catering to the lowest common denominator? o_O

20. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Supercalafragalistiexpialadocious? Damn took me 4 Fing tries:p Prolly still wrong...

21. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

And who said anything about that?
    Saying something or writing in a manner which can be understood without trying to make yourself look like something special doesn’t mean what you’re implying.

22. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Regardless of Ned's language, I always find his posts thought provoking, so I'm willing to overlook his lack of education.;)

alchemy, Hnstray, Truck64 and 2 others like this.
  23. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And they speak it a lot better than most of the people in the US.

I consider @Ned Ludd posts educational, because 95% of the time after I read one of them I end up searching the internet due to something he says. We can always use more education, can;t we?

24. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

"Didactic" isn't that weird of a word. It's more precise than "instructive" or "explanatory" in the context, and a bit shorter to boot :D

DennieC, gimpyshotrods and Hnstray like this.
  25. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

! :D I've had it for years ...

alanp561 and Truck64 like this.
  26. Did you choose your screen name to be ironic or..?

27. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

The wonders of Vanadium, added to steel in proper proportion eluded to , no, alluded to, in an earlier post. The axle has been twisted I don't know how many times, without breaking. There sure are some fart smellers, er, smart fellers here at the HAMB!

IMG_0747.JPG

gimpyshotrods, land and pitman like this.
  28. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

See, that’s the thing about ‘perception’......

29. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Gotta get some of that Valerian steel. Winter is coming.

Saxman and DennieC like this.
  30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I still think 3wLarry said it best a while back.

"Ryan, Nedds off his meds again" :D:D

Ned Ludd, pitman and land like this.